Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maverick owners – couple of questions
  • Garry_Lager

I’m hearing a lot of happy Maverick owners on the forum – seems some people really rate the ML8 and the Durance. There’s a few deals on 08 frames at the moment that look very good. Couple of things:

Would the ML8 work as an all day bike? Could you take it round a highland epic without going life and death getting it up the hills?

Would a set of lyrics work with the Durance? I’m assuming they’d be spot on for the ML8.

How do these bikes size up? Geometry looks a bit wacky. I’m 6 foot even so probably between a large and med frame – usually go for a large in my current bikes.

I’m a long time CDale owner who fancies a change, Maverick seem like a natural progression, aesthetically speaking.

Garry_Lager

Bump, for any Maverick owners who might be around.

Another q, what are the DUCs like to maintain? I feel scarred from the experience of riding leftys – awesome fork but a tough learning curve to service and repair it. Are the DUCs in the same boat?

sheldona
    Free Member

I’m just under 6ft and ride a Med Durance. I also came from a L C/Dale with Lefty.
    I run the DUCs on my Mav, they’re a breeze to maintain and they work extremely well.

Craig-Simpson
    Free Member

Hi Garry,

I’ve spent the last four years working on and servicing Maverick products, first for Extra UK and now with my own company. Over time I’ve used the ML7.5, Durance and ML8 frames.

I now ride a ML8 as my only bike, and have done all types of riding on it. The rougher the going the better it gets! I also do a regular 12 mile road commute which it can handle with no problem.

At six foot I’d say you would need a large ML8.(try and get a demo before you buy)

Feel free to contact me if you would like anymore info

Regards

Craig

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve not heard a bad thing said about the frames apart from their looks!
    I serviced my DUC32s in about an hour last weekend, philips screwdriver, 10mm socket & a 21mm spanner is all I needed – very pleased with them.
    Craig – whats your company called?

loddrik
    Free Member

I am 6ft and ride a large 7/5, the suspension works best when you are out over the rear wheel, try before you buy as not everyone will like the ‘stretched out’ cockpit. I think it is great and suits me better than my old 575.

gil_

Had a Large (6′ 3″) ML7 for a few years and loved it as a Summmer bike, got chance of a ML8 and love it even more, how a 6″ bike can climb so well is beyond me

Also been using both SC32 and DUC 32’s as 29″er forks and had no issues, people get put off but the “initial” flex but ride the things and you will think totally different

Craig, where are you, could do with improving the rebound on an ’07 ML8, later models seem to have more “control” on the rebound front?

sofaking
    Free Member

5 10 here and ride a medium Ml8, I have done plenty of 100k enduro’s mostly wales one or two in scotland as its easier than on a hardtail cause you can just sit down most of the day(up and downhill)
    duc are a great fork but tend to go through the travel a little easy but i just put extra oil in the fork to make them ramp up a bit later in the travel as mentioned on their website

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got four bikes fitted with SC32’s, they work well and are easy to service and tune, but since Extra dropped Maverick forks I can see spares becoming a problem. Will your company be able to help with this Craig?

ronburgundy

I have a Large ML7/5 frame for sale in the classifieds if your interested 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Just a gentle word of warning – I own an ML7 which has evolved into a sub-24lb race bike build including a set of spaced-down DUC32s up front. Pedals really well, fast as **** and climbs like a demon. However… it’s so ugly that – long story – it’s not allowed in the house and as a result I’ve had to do the last two Lee Quarry races on a Pace RC405.

If your partner is at all bikey and aesthetically aware, expect scorn and open hostility 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

BWD Glad you said that… Love my Mav forks though…

Craig-Simpson
    Free Member

Hi Dibbs,

My company is called Simpsons cycle services, and I’m based in Northants.

I will be doing warranty and service work on Maverick forks and rear shocks. If you need any spares or seals to do your own service work, feel free to contact me.

simpsons@mypostoffice.co.uk
    or 07986 411 810

Craig

loddrik
    Free Member

How much for a duc service

Dibbs
    Free Member

Thanks Craig

Craig-Simpson
    Free Member

Hi Loddrik,

Standard DUC/SC service is £70 inc. The service will include a full strip down, all new wiper seals and o-rings, new oil and a custom tune if you want. Turn around time is about 1/2 days +postage

Craig

simpsons@mypostoffice.co.uk

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maverick owners – couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.