Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Middleburn external cranks due in this week!
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Adjustable Q-factor suits me – my wonky knees don't like a narrow Q! I can't ride with a narrow Q more like!!

Where's the pictures then……….

ziggy
    Free Member

Pictures tomorrow, I just phoned to hassle where they were, currently in his hands being put in an envelope 😀

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have ISIS RS7s with an UNO spider/c-ring and have been very impressed with them.

iirc when I was researching them matched with a decent BB they come out as light as XTR but for little more than XT money (dep on the BB you choose)

then there's that lifetime guarantee … against *anything* including racing, jumping and DH.

These are much more than niche (although they are that aswell) they're are a very high quality, good value and fantastically performing product.

That they're British just goes to show that you can do these things in the UK without "needing" to charge a premium. Should embarrass some other UK manufacturers IMO

woodsman
    Free Member

….and not outsource the manufacture abroad – please tell me this is still the case here?

kokomojoe
    Free Member

Can I show my ignorance and ask the difference between road and mtb cranks? I appreciate that road bikes have more teeth per chain ring but other than that?

ziggy
    Free Member

Yes these are definately manufactured in the UK, devon in fact.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

what BB will they work with? a middleburn one? or a shimano?

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Hoorah !

P22-02-10_15.23[01]

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

karnali
    Free Member

now a set of those with the duo st up 29 44 for the commute come cross come tourer may be tempting

chela
    Free Member

They're lovely. When I finally see them I'm even more frustrated and surprised it's taken them so long to produce them.

It also makes me want them even more. Oh dear. I hope they do some sorta Uno version.

thomthumb
    Free Member

nice. pricing?

doof_doof
    Free Member

Looks like you preload it with the 8mm DNS and then tighten up the collar inside the NDS arm?

Shame that they've rounded off all the edges on the arms, I kinda like the angular CNC look of teh RS7's.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Don't want to spoil some hopes above, and I love these things, we have sets on two bikes, but I am pretty certain they are now made in Italy, same spec and stds as before – Italy was the only place they found which could do it. Great company and great guys and great products..

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have just looked at their site and does say 'on-site manufacturing' so amy be they where made in Italy for a while!?

sslowpace
    Free Member

I seem to remember the blank forging was done in europe (italy?), and that machining is done in-house, along with spiders and chainrings, etc.

Hopefully those bad boys at 18bikes have got a set for me….

cynic-al
    Free Member

There's been some bizarre crank designs over the years, I like the Caramba Double Barrels!

http://gallery.fakawitribe.com/CarambaAlbum/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

…and not outsource the manufacture abroad – please tell me this is still the case here?

Yup, forged in Italy, allegedly no one in this country was capable of droping a big hammer on a lump of aluminium quite accurately enough. I can't imagine Italy is cheeper than south Wales so must be true.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Weight and price?

Is the spider the same as the RS7 one? In which case any of the RS8/Duo/Uno stuff will fit…

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Hopefully the standard of metalwork in Italy has improved since the days of the Alfasud.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

😀

so excited…

so which shops who sell them give STW membership discounts?

JoeNation
    Free Member

The only problem with old Alfas was the nasty recycled Russian tanks they used for steel.

I for one am glad they don't look identical to RS7s, it shows they're moving forwards with the design (even if for no particular reason). After all, RS7s don't look like RS4s do they?

Good job I've been procrastinating about what cranks to put on my Trance, since now I can just wait for these to come out.

JoeNation
    Free Member

And those Carambda cranks aren't too dissimilar to what Rotor are doing at the moment with the 3D crank but with three hollows instead of two.

speaker2animals

look lovely, would definately like a UNO set for my SS.

I'd go for a Pace (as it's re-greasable as per Chris King) or Hope. Keep it UK!

Bream
    Free Member

Does anyone have these in stock now with 165 arms? If so I will buy today!

tinsy
    Free Member

1961bikie, all external BB are greasable if you can be bothered.

They do look nice, I didnt really like the look of any of the previous Middleburn cranks…

I still think my old Campag ones were prettier though. (forgive the shocking choice of pedal)

woodsman
    Free Member

Made in Italy – both Middleburn and campy!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

gonna go and order mine in approx 30 mins, all being well… if not, tomorrow.

woo!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Ok, want some, my XTR XX dilemma has just been resolved, where can I get some?
    Just need a decent British manufacturer to produce derailiers and we could have complete British bikes!

lyons
    Free Member

Hmmm, they do look lovely. I had some old ones on a dh bike, and they were nice, they look better though. I'll get some at some point in time…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

still no mention on their website?
    are they available? my lbs will hopefully be ordering them tomorrow for me…

UK-FLATLANDER

Any idea of price? Have you fitted them yet?

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep had 2 pairs delivered yesterday, see if I can't get some pics up later

Seamus
    Free Member

I've been quoted £180 for cranks and spider. No rings or BB

coopersport1
    Free Member

Just found some w/o rings for £175, so another £65 for Hardcoat Slickshift ring set = £240. Bottom Bracket at £60 for a decent Hope one and your at the £300 mark. XTR can be had with BB for £280ish, but it's British so i'm buying it! I'd be interested to see how much they weigh?

sslowpace
    Free Member

Hope these help.
    The only machining on the forged arms are the pedal threads and spider attachment.

The collar adjusts the pre-load on the BB.

Please ignore the shonky chainguide……

18bikes

We've got stock, order here!

very lovely they are too- deals on Hope Stainless BB when bought together, save £7 using code MBURNHOPEBB

epicyclo

What's the weight?

coopersport1
    Free Member

Too late now somehow someone had a set BNIB on fleabay, £175 job done 😀 happy with that. For a change I don't think they were stolen either!

danridesbikes
    Free Member

what do they weigh please

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn external cranks due in this week!’ is closed to new replies.