Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)
  • Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question
  • rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Trigger, nick christy

I'm afraid I did not get out as planned today for the video. Although I do have a test vid from earlier in the week.

Please bear in mind:

1. It is using a class 2 microsd card, as I am still waiting for my new class 6 one to arrive.
    2. It is looking at the floor I am afraid (it was fitted to my rucksack and I did not check it – first time out!)
    3. Natural light was going at the start of our ride. It was 3:30pm last sunday and the video shows me fumbling with it at the start.
    4. Sound has been removed for privacy reasons! But I can state it is superb quality.

so bear this in mind and make up you own mind. I will get a decent vid as soon as possible.

anyhow download it from here:

AVI

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one, that looks pretty decent. How long does the battery last?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

grumm it lasted for over an hour on mine. I had it charged for about 4 hours. Not sure if it was fully charged though!

I reckon these can be modded though with an additional battery from a usb lead to the rucksack, which could recharge/power the camera providing additional charge?

Anyhow its all good.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

that looks spot on.. even with the class 2 card!

be interesting to get a comparison but im very happy if mine is like that.

how did you attach the camera then on your bag? on the chest strap or?

regards

nick

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Hi Nick,

It comes with various fixings – i used the crocadile clamp in the box that can clamp to your jacket or ruck. You also get a stand that can be done like the below.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

id love one that clamps to the handle bars… in your pack did it incluede that fitting?

or must i buy that seperatly?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

nick

its all there mate (apart from some velcro strapping in mine, which you can use zip ties instead). You will not be dissapointed. The photo with the clamp on the bars is included in the kits as with the shirt rucksack mount.

Notter
    Free Member

Yep all fixings there, just add zip ties! Just waiting for my new class 6 card to see how this goes, I'm cautiously optimistic!!

mrl

I managed to get mine working okay, formatted the card a few times. Managed to take a video of the road in front of me, poor aim! Rumbledethumps, I alos brought mine of betashop, however you mention sound in you post. How do you get this to work? My recordings don’t seem to have sound!

Notter
    Free Member

Mine recorded sound as default, didn't need to do anything…

spev

i've run mine clamped on the bars and it doesnt seem as good as helmet mounted , although i've only used it with a class2 card, waiting for my class6 card to arrive to try again, quality seems pretty good though just a little jerky at times.
    Im going to fork mount it as well at some point.
    As for bar mount, get hold of an old light clamp like this and drill out 2 slots wide enough for a zip tie, put the camera in its rubber case and zip it to the mount then stick it on the bars, mines worked great like this.
    Just dont ride when its raining with it

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

just got an email, mine was sent 11/12/09 WHAT THEY DELIVERING IT BY? FOOT?

DaveE

Got class 6 card in post today.
    Tried round the house but looking forward to testing out over Xmas.
    Looking good so far and for less than £25 inc 4gb class 6 card can't be bad.
    Anyone posted any video clips yet.
    Links would be great
    Thanks 😆

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

where did you get your class 6 card from?

Trigger
    Free Member

Thanks for the vid rumbledthumps, looks about as good as any headcam footage I've see so I've ordered now.

By the way Nick_Christy seven day shop:

SD cards at 7 day

Is a decent place and has cards at a good price – will probably get one from there…

Notter
    Free Member

Just uploading a 3 minute, riding round the block, video. Had hoped my class 6 card would have arrived by today but alas no, so the clip is using a 2GB non SDHC card…. Back with a link soon.

Notter
    Free Member

Ok here we go then. Rubbish movie and completely unedited (I've discovered Movie Maker whilst this has been uploading!) but provides some kind of perspective.

I'm actually reasonably happy with that quality considering the card so hopefully with a decent card it'll be bargain-tastic! I'll be out properly tomorrow so will hopefully get some better clips (and hopefully the card will arrive tomorrow too!)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

mrl – the sound just records automatically.

Notter – The early microsd cards (no class) are very poor, mine was. The difference using my class 2 was very noticeable. However, I feel a class 4 vs class a 6 card would not make much difference.

My class 6 from memorybits.co.uk has not arrived as yet (ordered sunday). Through my experience any import into moviemaker or upload onto streaming websites usually reduces overall quality.

Spev – I found it was best clipped to my rucksack or jacket. The Helmet mount looks good, but these are a magnet for branches though, so I just have mine on my jacket with a lanyard attached (as a backup) in case it gets knocked off without me knowing. Best place on the body for the smoothest recording.

Cheers Trigger

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

that looks really good…

where was that mounted?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Can I also add that you should download the video from my link in my earlier post to see it in its glory. Its all pixelated on the streaming one. Utter gash!

Notter
    Free Member

Mounted with the crocodile clip onto an open chest pocket on my jacket. So in other words there was absolutely no thought given to mounting!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

the reason i ask is it looks good and can see the trail infront..

thanks

nick

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Got mine today after reading the previous threads and I can't resist a gadget, although I did order from UK supplier as I was thinking if it's any good I'll take it on a trip after xmas.

Anyway, it's the cheaper one, not the one with the sliding on/off buttons but the rubberized push buttons, I think it's the D001 ?

Came with a 2gb card, helmet mount included which is a doddle to fit plus others, UK plug, instructions on the disc are a bit gobbledegook, the LED lights aren't too bright. No indication of whether it's charging/fully charged.

But, impressed so far, files are showing up as 720×480 30frames/second, was a bit concerned the battery might not be any good but it's done just over an hour and stopped because the card is full but it still had power, got a 4gb class 4 card on the way so will be interested to see how long it records for with that? Video quality and sound was very good, as good as other cams I've seen apart from bullet/POV type cameras. I can see this being a lot of fun, easily mounted on seat tube or forks or rear swing arms it's so small, but think it will need a bit of extra security like zip ties just to make sure.

🙂

Notter
    Free Member

Test video using a class 6 SDHC card here.

Painfully slow riding due to Blue Grooves not working on sheet ice 😉

granny_ring

Looks good that, rather you than me on that ice though!

Might have put one of these on my xmas list

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

is it me or does the 1st seem better?

i cant download as i dont have an account.

is the class 6 actualy better?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I've done a short video with mine here edited a small bit at the end of my ride today, about 2 mins long, left the sound on there, helmet mounted, using a 2gb card that came with it … I know, needs pointing up a bit, looks like you get the usual bit of wobbly footage as with most of these cheaper cams but still good for the ££'s ?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

im with Nick_Christy your first vid looked better. What was different?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

its still good tho Kojak. For 15 growlers, you cant really go wrong can you?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

For 15 growlers, you cant really go wrong can you?

Oh yeah, I agree, think it's way better than the stuff I've seen from the ATCK(?) cams, good colours and seems to change fast for different light conditions, money well spent! I got nearly 20 mins of footage today but mostly pointing at the ground must try to set it up better – you can plug it in the pc via usb and it'll show up on a small screen what you see with it, er like a webcam I guess?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

great so with the 2gb how long could you record for kojak?

and what class was the card?

p.s i would like to say you guys are nuts riding in the snow. its so cold out, i wouldnt even think of taken it out for a ride…

i ride in the gym when its this bad lol

crowbar
    Free Member

I've just got one from betashop, ordered on Sunday night 1st class arrived on Tuesday. For the size of them the quality of video looks very good, they are very small.

spev

my class 6 cards still have'nt arrived 🙁
    As for mounting, i've fitted it to a helmet (not with the supplied helmet mount which is very wobbly) on the side using re-usable zip ties, i've not seen the footage yet as a mate has it (i'm ill so cant ride)

Notter
    Free Member

Second video had been put through movie maker. It does seem better when watching the raw file.

davy-g
    Free Member

here is a link to some footage recorded by the more expensive Muvi… the cam was mounted to the seatpost..
    TEST FOOTAGE

The quality of the footage in the above link is what sold me on the Veho..

DaveE

Great footage.
    Still not sure on best place to fit,
    Think on the bars best but mounting supplied no good with riser bars.
    Anyone any pics of fitting.
    PS how do you change the date.

Stoner
    Free Member

from the destructions:

There is a CD with the product which contains a file named time synchronization file. Please copy it to TF card. When connect D001 with computer, whose time will be displayed with computer synchronously.

The detail as following:

1. build a text called TAG.TXT under root directory of card.

2. open TAG.TXT,write synchronous date according to enclosure stricktly.

Details as following:

[date] need space with newline

2009/07/22 need space with newline

12?00?00

Power on the machine everytime, system will check and analyse TAG.TXT, then set system time according to file time. After that the text will be deleted by system automatically.

Not tried it yet, but I think you just put:

[date]

2009/12/19

08?42?00

in a txt file named tag.txt and stick it on the root drive of the camera.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Nick – I get just over an hour on the 2gb card, no idea what class it is it came with the camera and has no markings on it.

davy-g – footage looks good, is that the raw footage or what did you use to compress it, first time I've put up something on vimeo and I used windows movie maker which only seems to save as wmv, how did you save yours as mpeg4?

My original footage is better and clearer but had to compress it to upload on vimeo. Here's a screen shot to compare the 2, there's more detail on original, might not be able to see it on the image but it's a bit sharper and clearer to the right?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Dave E – I wouldn't mount on the bars, being right above the forks it's gets lots of knocks and movement and the footage will be very jumpy, helmet or seatpost would be better, I found the helmet mount to be good, had to tighten up some of the little nuts and bolts on it though as they were a bit loose.

Stoner – that one stumped me for a while, copy and paste the TAG.TXT file to the sd card – where it comes up with the DCIM folder, change the date to current date and time, save it, unplug the camera, turn it off and connect it again to power it up and set the date and time, the TAG.TXT file then dissappears – this worked for mine.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question’ is closed to new replies.