Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question
  • spev

I agree with kojak, on the bars its very jumpy, although i've just found my old lumicycle zip tie mounts which would work as a mounting system for bars (as an alternative to the old light clamp I mentioned earlier) re-usable zip ties are cheap on ebay as well

granny_ring

The uk seller on the earlier link doesn't look to have any in at the moment 🙁
    Looks like it'll be 2+ wks delivery time from HK?

davy-g
    Free Member

davy-g – footage looks good, is that the raw footage or what did you use to compress it, first time I've put up something on vimeo and I used windows movie maker which only seems to save as wmv, how did you save yours as mpeg4?

sorry Bud, it's not my footage, Ben from over @ the Commencal Owners forum did the recording, it was this footage that sold the cam on me.

cleanfreak
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been covered already and for dragging this thread on a bit longer… but is anyone using one of the cams on a mac? If so, any connection issues? Is a driver required or does the mac see it as a device so it's a simple drag and drop of AVI files?

Many thanks in advance :-)!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Night time test of the Mini DV D001 on a MTB. In the dark. In the snow.

OK got mine this afternoon – so I had to try it at night / in the dark.

After your guys enthusiasim here I decided to get one for the kids at Christmas for their karts (kids includes me!!). Another sucker for a gadget!

So to test it I brought it out for a ride. It happened to be getting dark, and snowing, and about -4C. I didnt have time to do anything other than bar mount it – sorry.

Light wise – on the right was magicshine on high. On the left a DX MTE SSC P7 5 mode on high. On the helmet, a Fenix P3D modified to run on a 18650 2P on turbo. Total about 600 + 500 + 200 lumens, apparently. Without the snow it would look way way darker I think,

Video link below (it still uploading).

Anyway, overall – physically it's tiny!!! smaller than my thumb. Actually its unreal!

I got 50mins+ recording at around -4C. I got a 4GB Kingston Class6 card. Recording 50m took less than 1/2 of the card. Whats weird is that the video doesnt reflect what the ride looks like to the human eye. The bar lights give a big spread of overall light (but the magicshine is brighter) but in the video the helmet light dwarfs both of them. It must be a cumulative thing that the camera records. When things get technical the detail pretty much gives up. You can get the idea on the steps at 02:15. Some parts on the vid look scary when they werent and v.v.

Supplied mounts are ok – I've broken one already just from this gentle commute type run with no crashes. Araldite to the rescue!

Daylight performance is radically better – but others have posted examples of these. There's little chance with fast moving bedroom antics!

Overall – It's great! This could be the "magicshine" of DV cameras – but in daylight.

Video here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/8322558
    The original looks slighly better on my PC.

Compared to what I thought I'd get for peanuts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx0Y7YuHHpo

or:
    [list]http://www.vimeo.com/7788133[/list]

davy-g
    Free Member

cheers, but your Viemo linked video file is PRIVATE…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oops! 😳 Now sorted.

Notter
    Free Member

Nicely done. My "proper" test ride with the camera over the weekend (Swinley, in the snow, stunning!) saw me clip the camera to the chest strap of my Camelbak, all videos showed my handlebars and fork crown with the occasional shot of my knees!

Was not happy….So if you're using the clip mount, where have you found the best mounting position to be?

ruminant
    Free Member

Hi Can somebody show me the clip holder, side on as I'm planning on making a adapter so I can use a hope helmet mount.

I want to know if the clip can be dismantled easy

cheers for the help and I will post drawings if successfull

neillp
    Free Member

Has anyone had problems getting theirs to work?

I have fully charged mine and when I turn it on the red LED is constant and the blue one flashes for 30 secs therm goes off. no matter what else I do it will not record. 🙁

Notter
    Free Member

Hmm, not gad that problem. On turning on the blue light is permanently lit and the red light flashes a couple of times. When hitting the record button the red light flashed to indicate recording.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Before I got the memory card mine did this when I turned it on. You sure its in there correctly and formatted etc?

Have you see this guys moan about cards disappearing inside the camera?

Ratty
    Free Member

yeah, mine did this until I realised I hadn't pushed the card in far enough.

Ratty
    Free Member

incidentally, how do we tell when the batteries are charged? on mine the two charger leds stay constantly lit all the time, is it already charged or should they blink, go out or something?

Notter
    Free Member

I think the blue light blinks when charging, solid when charged. I think….

Ewan
    Free Member

Got mine 3 days ago. From what i've found so far, the sensor is rubbish in low light (e.g on a nightride) and you get horrible smearing (as per link above) but really quite good in good light. I was a bit disappointed when trying it under my lounge light, but I attached it to the dash board on the way to work and the quality was excellent.

For 11 quid, i'm not complaining. It recorded for 40 minutes before turning off. I suspect I can rig a battery up to it for charging without much bother at all (e.g. the ones that tx max sell for 4 quid for charging USB gadgets on the go).

I've even managed to set the time now!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Some rear action!!

Just done another video here clicky clicky

Thought I'd have a go mounting it on the rear swingarm to see how well it would do. Using a new class4 card as well, thought it did ok considering some of the footage was taken at nearly 4 p.m.

neillp – is the card in the right way round?

My blue light flashes when charging, only noticed that today as I thought I'd test how long the battery lasts and just left it on record until it ran out, got just under 90 mins, seems to charge up quite quick as well?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Thats a really good video Kojak. I got my class 6 card today from Memorybits. Can't really see much difference in speed from my class 2 though to be honest.

grumm
    Free Member

Just got mine – only tried it briefly in my dimly lit front room with an old 2 gig card which doesn't say what class it is. Pretty jerky and blurry but not too bad – will try it with a better card tomorrow in daylight.

Pretty impressed with that last video kojak posted.

neillp
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies I have got it working now, I just needed to push the card in that bit further! 😳

Pretty impressed with it so far, I attached it to my 15 month old son to get an idea of his perspective on life!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

anyone worried about it taking ages for the cheapo hong kong versions to arrive, i ordered one last tuesday and it arrived yesterday.
    i hadn't bothered getting a decent microSD card yet though, silly me.
    is memorybits okay then, as 7dayshop have no 4GB class 4 dane elec cards in stock at the moment…

jam-bo

your camera from hong kong has arrived quicker than my memory card from 7dayshop then.

ordered about two weeks ago and its still not showed up.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

My memory card took about 9 days to arrive from 7dayshop, but their address is in Guernsey so I guess it also gets sent from there so probably explains why it takes a while?

I'm wondering if I can attach the cam to my dog somehow? 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

memorybits are ok. Although they are based in Jersey, so expect a delay.

JonMyhill
    Free Member

Mine took about 8 days from HK.

JonMyhill
    Free Member

Mine took about 8 days from HK. I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet but the general image quality in daylight is much better than I had expected. It is a bit jumpy thought – with a class 2 card but hopefully I'll sort that when I get a faster one.

DaveE

Used mine in anger for first time yesterday at Wyre.
    Mounted on camelback chest strap.
    Lots of great footage of bars and just in front of bike.(Picture Quality was very good)
    Will try on bars or seatpost next time.
    Anyone mounted on Hope head mount yet. send pics if you have
    Ps got mem card from Memorybits took about a week to deliver

Free Member

I have a MUVI and have now had 2 new class six cards in it one was a Nokia and the other was a Samsung and the FPS have stayed to same as the card it with and the highest speed I have had is 19.5 fps. I wondered if any one with MUVI has got a card and what make to get the fps up near the 25/30 they say the camera will run at. Keith.

grumm
    Free Member

Here's a sledgecam video I made by clipping it to my hat. You also get to hear me giggling like a small girl 🙂

http://www.vimeo.com/8397837

Done with a non-branded, non SDHC 2 gig card. I flipped it over on the computer as it was clipped upside down to my hat.

It's pretty choppy and obviously there is not much contrast – think it would work a lot better attached somewhere it would shake around less.

grumm
    Free Member

Did anyone install the driver for this? What does it do? Is it PC only?

Having some issues with mine and my Mac, it seems to send it a bit crazy when it connects. I can't use the driver CD as I only had a slot not a tray and it won't work with the tiny disc.

Notter
    Free Member

Don't worry about the driver, just plug the camera in via USB and copy files over through windows.

The only useful thing on the CD is the time tag file.

Notter
    Free Member

Ah, you're using a Mac, hadn't read that properly. Can't help then I'm afraid!

Ewan
    Free Member

Should just act as a USB mass storage device…. on a PC or a mac.

grumm
    Free Member

Should just act as a USB mass storage device…. on a PC or a mac.

It does mostly work, it's just a bit screwy and I sometimes get error messages and files won't copy first time etc. I have just been using a memory card out of my phone with some space left on it, I wonder whether a newly formatted card would work better. Is there a recommended file system for formatting it?

Can anyone email me the time tag file?

Ta.

Everlong
    Free Member

I've just ordered mine!

My mate read about them on this forum and bought one. I'm so impressed with it I just placed my order!

Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Exactly which one were you impressed with everlong? Links etc please.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Exactly which one were you impressed with everlong? Links etc please.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ive just ordered one of these, its a proper muvi one and come with all the fittings and a 2gb card. Tesco

Ratty
    Free Member

D001 Mods!

I find the blue & red LEDs hard to see, on removing the cover you can see that the LED's are mostly obscured. To enable a more direct view I removed the cover and drilled two small (1.5mm) holes on the top…

How I done it…

Remove the back cover, which is just held with the four visible case screws (careful these are miniscule, drop one and you'll never see it again!), note there are wires & battery attached to the back cover.

On mine all these screws were stripped (one already missing), I glued them back with araldite. Even if you don't do this mod it's worth checking those screws are still there – replacements will be hard to find. (I'm tempted to put a strip of insulating round the halves to be sure)

Be very careful drilling the holes (the battery is stuck to back cover). I used a 1 mm pilot, finishing with a 1.5 mm. I used a spiral (archemedian) hand drill, but I'd think a Dremel may have an attachment for the job, dunno 'cos I don't have such a thing.

To position the holes just open the top slightly and mark where the LED's are – the holes need to be pretty close to the edge.

To stop crap getting in I covered the holes with clear sticky-back plastic.

LED's now look considerably more visible, but not tried it in daylight yet.

I'd think this will void any warranty! (I wasn't too worried for £15 tho')

Swayndo
    Free Member

Excellent … have gone for the Chinese eBay one myself. Just need to get a card now I guess.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question’ is closed to new replies.