Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mitsibushi L200 Owners
  • Amos
    Free Member

Anybody got an L200? Look about perfect for my needs got £3000 to spend any experiences or alternatives welcome!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Driven them, there ok. Would preferably buy a Hi-Lux or a Landy if intending on much offroad use.

Avoid ford rangers.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Bother in law has had one for 4 years and done 200k in it. Good and reliable and takes the heaviest payload of all "utes" (he's a kiwi)

I like it but it's choppy if unladen

joolsburger
    Free Member

dalesboyz
    Free Member

if i was u i would go for a ford ranger as they are more powerfull and do more mpg they are also have less in cab noise. and L200 like to go through engines like women an shoes lol.ps dont even look at nissa's because when placed an full lock they make a loud bang but its up to you.i have had all 3 an the ford ranger is the best

tthew

We've had then at work, and Rangers, Land Rovers and HiLux. The Toyota is by far the nicest to drive of any of them. L200 was partuculary small in the back, and had a terrible steering lock.

krag
    Free Member

Depends want you're going to use it for? The missus has a 2000 plate one for use on the farm and it's ok. We took it out for MTB'ing duties but wasn't too great, fairly pants on fuel, the turning circle is HUUUGE and the buck (the cover for the back trailor bit) isn't lockable on ours so always a bit dodgy leaving bikes in there. It's fairly competent off road though, took it out on the Quantocks in the snow and had a blast.

I'd get the Warrior over the standard L200, seems mucher nicer.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ranger are horrible if unladen – the back end steps out something chronic.

After 3 solid months of site work and having to pull them out day in day out with my landy i can't recommend then.

The do hold up to being rolled quite well mind.

dalesboyz
    Free Member

the toyota is the nicest to drive but 3k in toyota wont get you a good spec 1 an same with the land rovers and pick are legals allowed to tow more unless it is a 110/130 landy

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

sold my 54 plate last september, had it for 3 1/2 years from 80k to 112k miles, had it serviced once when i bought it other than that it cost me diesel, tyres and mot tests, never failed an mot not even an advisory, wished i'd still got it at mo as it never got stuck in the snow!

hora
    Free Member

Depends what you need it for- I imagine it excels at farm work etc but you'll be making alot of compromises. After all they dont drive like a car do they?

I've always wanted one but they really are workhorses not private use only vehicles IMO.

genesis
    Free Member

We have 2 of the newer shape ones and one has had a ton of sand in it fine. They both run fine and seem ok on the whole do about 32-35mpg when driven with a light foot. My brother had an series2 one and it cost a fortune in fuel.

Amos
    Free Member

Want one for comuting the 15miles to work and lugging bikes, owing trailer tent and general tut

nasher
    Free Member

How about a Mitsubishi delica?

same running gear as a shogun / L200, but much nicer to drive.

They are 7/8 seat 4wd mpv's with aircon and lots of goodies, the seats fold to beds, to the side revolve etc.. perfect if you are a MTB'r

and easily find a good un for £3K

THe have all the low ratio, diff lock super select 4wd as well.

here is ours (taken a couple of years back)

hora
    Free Member

nasher what mpg do you get? What are they like in crosswinds?

evilollie
    Free Member

Get a 2004 onwards. Prior to the they had engine problems . Got to l200 owners forums there is plenty of advice there . As has been said heavy on fuel , ride quality is pish , but for the money they are decent .

Aftermarket parts are good as well through places like milner etc

runswithscissors

I've got a 3ltr petrol L200 and it's ace! great for bikes, towing and generally messing about in, converted to run on lpg so fuel is around half price, does around 25 to the gallon so equates to 50mpg taking into account the fuel cost.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Problem with Delicas is they are pig ugly.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

My dad's got an '03 reg L200, not a bad truck, but useless when it's slippery due to the lack of weight on the back. Quite a capable thing otherwise, generally reliable, but many are pigs to start when they're cold, even with new heater plugs fitted.

nasher
    Free Member

They are not the best on MPG, but on a run you can get nearly 30mpg.

Around town about low 20's.this is about normal on a big 4*4

They are mostly automatic, but manuals are about.

Crosswinds they are OK.

As for being Ugly, they are indeed unusual as they are quite narrow comapared to their height, but as an all round vehicle they are awesome.

Look on the delica club for ideas, there are some great machines with extended arches bigger wheels etc..

bit like this one

nasher
    Free Member

her is a nice one for sale for £3k

trail_rat
    Free Member

i looked at delicias – was put off by a guy at work when i spoke to him he can only ever get 22mph out of his 2.8 autobox …. driving uber carefully and cruising at 55

put me off big time

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

as said, earlier versions of L200 had massive engine problems. Melting pistons and big ends were a problem, seem to have rectified the problem on the newer engine.

we used to have atleast 2 rebuilds a week for about a year 😉

whytetrash

Problem with Delicas is your mates will wet themselves laughing….knew a lad who bought one…whenever he arrived to meet the his football team mates he was accompanied by the famous East is east quote…"The **** are coming"…it was always the "****-wagon" from then on….however non football players may not give you such a hard time!

hora
    Free Member

Ive done a nationwide search on autotrader- the additional problem is they are all getting abit long in the tooth? This is a worry as you would be using it in part for long distance hols/trips away- that with the mpg ontop.

nasher
    Free Member

Trail Rat

Mine can do 30mpg, loaded.

All depends on condition of the fuel lines, filters, injectors oils in the engine, auto box, diffs etc.. mine gets regurarly serviced as I use it for work.

There is also a little sensor that you can adjust on the auto box to make the ear nbox change sooner giving even better mpg.

Like all big 4*4 you dont buy them for the fuel economy

nasher
    Free Member

Problem with Delicas is your mates will wet themselves laughing….knew a lad who bought one…whenever he arrived to meet the his football team mates he was accompanied by the famous East is east quote…"The **** are coming"

What you will find with this sort of car is the overweight bearded type who put a lot of "bling" on them

hora
    Free Member

Saw a few once in the Peaks- in a convoy offroad. I did think they were bonkers driving them offroad!

nasher
    Free Member

They are very capable of road, does get a bit scary when the inlinometer reaches 30 degrees and you are so high up!

They were laughed at in the early days of off road clubs, until they were pulling landrovers out

5thElefant
    Free Member

Always liked the look of the Delcia. Like a miniature Japanese Land Rover 101.

Amos
    Free Member

I think the Delicias look Fookin awful, and if I rocked up at work in one I think I would have the piss ripped massivley! I'm so bored of looking for a new car!!!!!!

nasher
    Free Member

Or what about a Mercedes G wagon? designed for the german army, more capabable than the landy

the 55 amg does 0-60 in 5 seconds

can be found from 3k upwards….but good and late ones are expensive.

hora
    Free Member

G-Wagon = Uber cool 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I recall the pre 2004 L200 had a crap turning circle, the later ones where better. We had some problems with the suspension on the older one, which was quite expensive. No problems with the engine tho and we were regularly towing a heavy ski boat and trailer up hills and down dales across the Yorkshire Dales (clutch had to be replaced a few times tho).

Amos
    Free Member

See I'm loving the G wagon it's just finding one!!

dalesboyz
    Free Member

you will have to be carefull with the flywire pumps an all the picks as they are the 1's which tend to blow i have a cheap ford ranger for sale as i have got the new final so if you are intrested???

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mitsibushi L200 Owners’ is closed to new replies.