Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • mobile – contract or payg for 12 yr old
  • desf
    Free Member

My daughter’s 12th birthday coming up and she wants a new phone. Currently on PAYG and the cost varies but she often forgets to top up and then is without credit when the phone is needed. 🙁

Can anyone suggest a good contact for the usual use of that age group, some talk but lots of texts! Or should we stick with payg.

Ta.

mrsflash
    Free Member

with a contract there is a potential for her to just keep using it so run up huuuuge bills. I wouldn’t ahve thought it would be better to stick wit payg.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely knowing to leave some credit for emergencies is part of responsibility etc?

druidh
    Free Member

T-Mobile Solo 15. 350 mins / Unlimited text / £15pm (£17 inc vat)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I struggle with kids and phones – they’re so expensive and an ongoing cost. I can see why they want one etc and the positives, but sometimes I wish my phone would break so I didnt have contact all the time, I remember my childhood days without a mobile (though my dad had one, one of the first ones!) being blissful – lost in the fields for a day at a time.

sofatester
    Free Member

Why does she “want” a new mobile? If all she does it text and talk can she not just keep the one she has?

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t you stay on PAYG & use something like this?

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/payasyougo/reserve_tank_overview.html

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why does she “want” a new mobile? If all she does it text and talk can she not just keep the one she has?

Yet another reason I dont like kids having mobiles!

Incidentally O2 have a “lend us a quid” feature too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

in my day……………………………………

ditto,

tesco IIRC also do “ping me a pound”,

coffeeking
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – I’m only 27 too lol.

desf
    Free Member

Thanks folks, lots of good thoughts there.

Druidh – that looks worth investigating.

She is pretty responsible, just forgetful sometimes. She had a decent mobile but it broke and she’s using an old handset we had lying around. She has her ‘image’ to think of!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Desf, I don’t know if it’s possible, but if you got her a contract phone, maybe that T-mobile offer that someone mentioned earlier, could you not speak to the contractor directly and see that if she hits the limit they can prevent calls unless it’s to 999 or your home number!?? Just a thought but they probably would say that’s “too difficult” even though it’s probably not in reality!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Yeah. I say PAYG so that she may have an opportunity to learn that:
    money doesn’t grow on trees/you’re not a bottomless pit of cash/someone’s got to pay/what could she possibly have to talk about when she only parted company with the other person five minutes ago/

and so on until you use up all the quotes stolen from our own parents….

avdave2

So if the consensus is pay as you go what is the best package. Our daughter is about to turn 11 and will be getting her first phone and at the moment I’m thinking of the Orange raccoon package which offers free texts. Any other recommendations.

spooky_b329

If s/he is likely to use less than £15 a month, try one of the Tesco tariffs.

They don’t require the ‘top up £10 a month to get a pile of free texts’ so calls and texts are up to half the price of the main providers. So calls are cheaper and that £15 will become more like £8, and there is no incentive to make sure they use a certain amount of credit to qualify for the ‘free’ texts/minutes.

Can’t remember what my call prices were, but my texts on their tariffs were 5p each rather than the 10p my gf paid.

avdave2

Thanks spooky I’ll look into that ans sorry desf for the hijack.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I got the daughter (11) a contract phone on 3, £9 a month (Which i made the maximum amount!)
    With that she gets 100 mins or texts to any network and 2300 minutes to other 3 phones (me and my mrs are also on 3 and get 2300 free 3 to 3 mins)

She can’t run up huge bills and got a resonable Sony Erricson phone with it.

If she was on PAYG we would to up a minimum £10 a month and she may run out of credit.

avdave2

Is it me or are mobile phone tariffs the most complex thing in the universe?

desf
    Free Member

You’re right, they do seem needlessly complex.

I wonder if we would get good impartial advice in a shop like carphonewarehouse or will we get pushed towards whatever they get most commission from?

Ambrose

Kid in the school I work in ran up a £392:00 bill a couple of months ago on contract. Daddy wasn’t a happy bunny.

Soup
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

Back in the day etc etc.

Mobile phones? heh, weren’t even a glimmer in the developers eye. We would use the public phone network, now departed to let our parents know were were ok. Lots of people had a system too. In those days you could dial the number before putting the money in the slot so you’d dial, let it ring twice and hang up. That means ‘I’m OK’, after that I forget but I dunno, one ring is I’m on my way home, three rings is I’m staying at Martin’s for tea and four rings means you’ve been kidnapped and are currently being rogered by a van load of afghan immigrants.

Aaah, those were the days, I still keep in touch,.

HTTP404
    Free Member

My 10yr old daughter has a PAYG (t-mobile) mobile phone. I bought it for her in November last year and put £20 of credit on. The credit has yet to run out. She walks to my workplace after school and it’s for use in case of emergencies and the odd text msg to friends.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I agree with samuari, kids don’t know they’re born nowadays.

I wonder what ever happened to Bahualdin, Durkhany and Mahboobullah, crazy names, crazy guys!

MrNutt
    Free Member

actually, if its of any use I’m on t-mobile SIM only, £30 per month with free internets, loads of texts and minutes and its a monthly thing so if I don’t like it I can walk.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My 11 year old son has a ‘3’ contract for £15 a month that’s for 300 minutes and 300 texts. He’s a boy so hardly ever uses it, gets the odd text from random girls at school that he ignores. He’s very sensible in terms of use and always asks if he can download a game/song/whatever. You can put a limit on the contract anyway so they can’t go over the alloted minutes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘mobile – contract or payg for 12 yr old’ is closed to new replies.