• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • More bad habits – Zoolander Syndrome
  • atlaz
    Free Member

To avoid stealing TJ's thread, I have another crappy habit/problem.

A bit like Derek Zoolander, I can only turn in one direction. Well sort of. I think it's a legacy of (skate|surf)boarding when younger but I am a lot faster through left hand bermed corners (a "backside" turn for me in the old board sports) than right handers. It's not a problem when I'm taking it easy but I feel a bit poor when, after pushing hard through left handers, I stab on the brakes and take the rights easy. Only really noticed this last weekend so it might just be that I'm rusty riding offroad, guess I'll see in the coming weeks.

Other than manning up, any tips?

Eccles
    Free Member

Cross your hands over when approaching right handers? Try aversion therapy – swap the brakes round?

Marge
    Free Member

bit OT – but I stayed in a hotel in Köln this week that had a huge wallpaper poster of Zoolander behind the reception.

One of the most out of place things I have ever seen…

loco_pollo
    Free Member

I have this exact same issue – I used to skate lots when I was younger and "back" turning to the left was much easier than to the right, and this has now manifested itself in my biking. I don't think there's much you can do about it, I think the term is Muscle Memory or similar.

druidh
    Free Member

Same problem for me – and one that also dates back to motorcycling days. Dragging a LH footpeg was normal practice but I never felt that confident on a right hand corner.

grievoustim
    Free Member

do what Derek does and make a 270 degree left hand turn

cookeaa

Practise practise practise, that is all you can really do…

glenp
    Free Member

Try riding round leading with your "wrong" foot until it feels like normal. Then start working on the turns.

Suggest same as for TJ – "S" turns repeatedly on a plain vanilla wide firetrack with plenty of grip. Do hundreds – left, right, left etc. Only once you feel like it is working automatically put it back into your riding – isolate the technique.

LAT

You may already have tried this, but thought I'd suggest it. I find it easier to turn when my foot on the inside of the corner is at the back. You may find it easier though left turns because you lead with your right foot. As such, your left foot is at the back.

This definitely works well on slow, very tight technical switchbacks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘More bad habits – Zoolander Syndrome’ is closed to new replies.