Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • My homemade Avid bleed kit
  • BurnBob
    Free Member

Here is my Avid bleed kit, total cost of a couple of quid. never posted pics before so hope these work.

scaredypants

good stuff
    what are the blue connectors ?
    happy that they hold under pressure (positive and negative) ?

BurnBob
    Free Member

The blue connectors are plastic aquarium tubing connectors from a pet shop, I just added some M5 threads using a nut.

BurnBob
    Free Member

I have used them to bleed my brakes a few times and they work great, no problems with holding pressure. I have never used a proper Avid kit so can’t compare it but can’t imagine any difference, its just a couple of syringes with a bit of tubing after all. I wasn’t paying £35 for it!

MicArms

Top bodge BurnBob! A damn site cheaper than the £25 I spunked on the proper kit, grrr!

allyharp

Excellent, somebody had to come up with a good alternative!

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

excellent homemade bike stand too. Might make one of those myself.

geoffj

That’s better than Poddy’s headset cable routing idea – get it sent into MBR and win a prize – before someone else does!

BurnBob
    Free Member

Ah yes I forgot about my homemade workstand, it also works very well and stores away neatly in the shed.

Good idea about MBR, Could do with a prize.

fozzyuk

What size is the bolt used to thread the aquarium pipe ?

Pook

fully blue peter-esque instructions please!!

Burts
    Free Member

Good effort, I also wish I’d seen that before coughing up for the official kit over the weekend!

So any tips for getting a good result? I followed the instructions to the letter on my Juicy 5 and only got a minor improvement, I’ll need to do it again. Lever pulls through most of its travel before biting, even with new pads. One thing I noticed was a very, very small hole in the lever reservoir cap, which leaks a little oil whenever I pressurize the system. Is this normal, or am I overdoing it?!

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

What size is the bolt used to thread the aquarium pipe ?

I would also like to know this as I have everything, but I am unsure what bolt to use.

Thank you.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sorry to be a cheeky goit but could we have a list of all the parts please 🙂
    You my friend are a genius!

Mikkel
    Free Member

he actualy said he used an M5 threads so my guess is a M5 bolt was used.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Syringes arrived today; now for everything else. Ace help, thank you 🙂

sadexpunk

excellent stuff. well done. ive already sent it off to mbr as my idea 😉

what are the clips youre using to pinch the tubing? might use a couple of those for my oro’s 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I just added some M5 threads using a nut.

‘Just’! I’d just like to say that I found this stage a bit of a bastard. Well a big bit of a bastard. At 11p each I don’t mind redoing ’em.

bakey

Was going to have ago this afternoon by referring to BB's excellent pics – now gone! 🙄

BurnBob
    Free Member

Sorry, been away for a while, Pics should be back up, any questions?

kimbers

only a year later what size aquarium connectors? i have 6mm ones do i need 5mm ones

cheers

p3can
    Free Member

I believe they are 5mm not 6mm. Why go through the trouble though? There are some cheap kits out there on eBay, one of those guys has just launched a website for brake bleeding – epicbleedsolutions.com.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘My homemade Avid bleed kit’ is closed to new replies.