Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My Left Leg!
  • Speshpaul

Well a funny thing happened to me the other sunday, was out with in the local woods with Geoff and Al on the very last bit of single track i fluffed a little techy bit put my foot out and went over.
    Crack went my left Tib and Fib just below the knee!
    I’d like to say a big thank you to all the other guys out in eastridge that morning (15th), Kev & Rob, the guys from Wolves and a big thank you to G & Al.
    I now have a very purple cast from my groin to my ankle, and a good few months off the bike.
    Heres a couple of pictures , i’ll try and get a copy of the 3D scan as that was “very impressive!” according to my consultant;-)

wwaswas

ouch.

marsdenman
    Free Member

ouch to the power of 2!

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Hi Mate…
    Has anyone yet told you not to stop the next time then yet?!!

Seriously heal well and hope yer back out there again soon.

Mark

brownpants
    Free Member

Nasty one that mate- hope the recovery goes well

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I snapped one of the knobbles (that’s not a medical term!!) off just above your break and crack my shin bone a few inches down from the knee joint whilst skiing in Italy. They X-Rayed me in a mountainside shed, told me it was broken, made me lay on my front, splodged some very cold plaster on the back of my leg, wrapped a bandage round the front and dropped me back at my hotel. They gave me some crutches and an evelope with my x-rays in but that was it, no pain killers, nothing. I managed to make out “30 days without complication” as a prognosis in the X-ray stuff, so wasn’t too worried.
    When I got home and took them to the hospital, the consultant said “oh yes, an L shaped metal plate, some bone from your hip and non weight bearing for 3 months” Holly sh*t I, I wasn’t expecting that!

Still, that was about 12 years ago, it stopped me skiing for one season but it’s never hampered me cycling, I can ride all day without problems, I don’t cycle competitively, but I’ve done the South Downs Way in a day, the Coast to Coast in 4 days and 8 day journey across the Alps and apart from the odd twinge it’s been fine, so I’m sure you’ll heal just fine, they told me it is 18 months before it’s as strong as it going to get, but I was doing plenty long before then 😉 It’s just a bit of a nuisence to be out of action for a while!

Speshpaul

Cheers Boyz.
    THe wastage of my left leg has been a little shocking, second cast in ten days yessterday.
    Its going to be a long haul, but hey oh it could be worse;-)

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Paul,
    remember my leg after the 3 months in the cast? All I can say is work at it and the muscle grows back… I’ve nearly got equal sized calves again now!
    Take it easy…

masquared
    Free Member

I broke my leg and ankle 8 weeks ago on Holmbury Hill when the pedal failed to unclip after an unscheduled dismount.
    Cast comes off next week. I’m looking forward to seeing the size of my calf. As you say, muscle wastage is pretty rapid. I expect the leg will look roughly like a chicken’s!
    At least the shoulders have developed from crutching around the North Downs Way

Speshpaul

I expect to be walking around in circles for a while.
    The other big issue is food, I’m a big lad and i like my food. Working hard three times a week on the bike has allowed me loose 1/2 a stone since xmas. But now i’m doing nothing. I’ve cut right back on the grub and no beer. But i’m getting fed up of hearing my belly rumbling:-)
    I’ll have to get the missis to put the biscuits just out of reach.

zaskar
    Free Member

Weights for the upper body-keep your metabolism high do you have a bench at home or access to a gym?

Eat Low GI food?

Eat salad/fibre and proteins, lower your carbs a bit-but you have to heal so don’t starve yourself or fad diet.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

LOL!
    Mate, When I was off for those 3 months I just ate about 4-5 pieces of fruit for lunch… It did enough to stave off the hunger till about teatime.. (and helped control my weight too!)

WackoAK
    Free Member

Ouch unlucky mate, makes my broken collar bone from saturday seem like a walk in the park!

I’ve pulled the tendon off my knee cap before and from what I remember it was when the plaster came off that things became very difficult, chin up etc!

Speshpaul

What is this fruit you speak of?

No, i’m hitting the fruit and fibre pretty hard just to counteract the codine! Nurse, pass the shoe horn!
    But i’d rather it was the fruit and nut.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My Left Leg!’ is closed to new replies.