Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • My new CX bike (Boardman content)
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Picked up my new Boardman CX Team 2 weeks ago and changed a few things to get it how I want it:

Sunn Ringle Black Flag 29er wheelset
    Promax rotors
    Bontrager Jones CX tyres (currently tubed)
    Jagwire yellow cables
    Race Face Revolution seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR carbon saddle
    Bontager bars

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/nqcnk6.jpg[/IMG]

Took it out for a 3 hour shakedown ride on Saturday – strong winds, driving rain, thick mud – ideal!
    Very pleased with it so far, handles really well, feels planted off road, and the SRAM doubletap works really well – overall a happy shopper 🙂 Oh, and discs on a ‘cross bike? Definitely!
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/fyfy8k.jpg[/IMG]

DT78
    Free Member

I,m so tempted by one of these. Lovely. How is the sizing for you I,m 5’11” not sure about a med or large, have sat on a large and it felt about right.

saladdodger
    Free Member

At £850 they do appear to be a bit of a bargain at the mo

fenred
    Free Member

Lurvely, good Job well done, boardman are such good vfm. Love the colour scheme 🙂 yellow cinelli bartape tho please 8)

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    I,m so tempted by one of these. Lovely. How is the sizing for you I,m 5’11” not sure about a med or large, have sat on a large and it felt about right.

I’m 5’11” as well, with a 32″ inside leg. I have a large and it’s spot on. Sat on a med and it felt too cramped.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

fenred – Member
    Lurvely, good Job well done, boardman are such good vfm. Love the colour scheme yellow cinneli bartape tho please

I did think about yellow bar tape, it may be too much yellow though. Be a bugger to keep clean too.. (says the man with white tape on one of his road bikes!)

bullheart
    Free Member

That is lovely!

Not selling your old wheels are you perchance?

rp16v
    Free Member

now that i like alot!!

pplum
    Free Member

I saved an extra 10% through the Halfords website by using the discount code NUSJAN12. You can also save 10% on Halfords vouchers if you are a British Cycling member. So you could get it for as little as £688.50 (a little more if you sign up for BC membership)

I’ve got some road tyres and mudguards waiting to go on mine to use as my new commuter bike.

fenred
    Free Member

[/quote]I did think about yellow bar tape, it may be too much yellow though. Be a bugger to keep clean too.. (says the man with white tape on one of his road bikes!)

Go for it man, you’ve already thought about it…just don’t scratch a muddy leg itch then touch the bars again… you’ll be fine 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

bullheart – Member
    That is lovely!

Not selling your old wheels are you perchance?

Thanks!

Sorry, no. Going to stick road tyres on the Richey wheels that came with the bike so I can use it my Winter road bike as well.

TenMen
    Free Member

That looks fantastic, may well put the same cables on my Boardman road bike!

Kevevs
    Free Member

this is interesting in that you’ve chosen to make a prominent feature of your cables, they really stand out! I never really notice cables. maybe their time has come!

paddy0091
    Free Member

That is deeelish! I used to work for Halfords, and when I was in the other month they cheekily said I could have staff/student discount..25% off. If only they weren’t joking!

h4muf
    Free Member

I really like that colourscheme 8)

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member
    this is interesting in that you’ve chosen to make a prominent feature of your cables, they really stand out! I never really notice cables. maybe their time has come!

It’s the first time I’ve ever even thought about using coloured cables. Using yellow cables on the Boardman looked great in my mind’s eye, luckily the reality looks pretty good too. The grey frame looks good but a tad dull with standard black cables, the yellow ones pick up the yellow highlights on the frame and make the bike stand out a lot more.

clubber
    Free Member

It looks crap IRL 😉

Actually I was really sceptical when Gilo told me what he was going to do with the cables and all but it looks great in the flesh.

It just needs some purple bits now

neil853
    Free Member

boardman_pic1 by 99c5faa01725362d73494aff686e3664, on Flickr

I love mine to bits, it’s my go to bike most of the time, especially during the week when it’s shitty. Only now after a couple of years am I using it more off road.

yossarian
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Boardman are fast developing a brilliant range.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lovely.

HONCing on it?

tetsujin
    Free Member

Hey great advice on the NUSJAN12 code. I was looking at getting a Boardman Pro FS a few weeks ago and that code makes it even more tempting! Plus the bike has £300 off it original £1799 price tag.

Just tried it on the Halfords website and you can order a Pro FS for £1350.

Bargain! 😀

So if you sign up with the British Cycling you get 10% off when you buy halfords vouchers? or just 10% off Halfords bikes?

And does this work with the above code to, potentailly getting the bike for £1215!

pplum
    Free Member

tetsujin – Member
    So if you sign up with the British Cycling you get 10% off when you buy halfords vouchers? or just 10% off Halfords bikes?

And does this work with the above code to, potentailly getting the bike for £1215!

You get 10% off Halfords vouchers purchased through the BC website. If you follow the link in my post above it has more detail.

You can then use the vouchers and the discount code together.

roady_tony
    Free Member

tasty bike!!!!

I’m thinking of those wheels for my P-X uncle john – how are you finding them? whats the min tyre width you can put on the them for roadie use?

Nice work with the cables.!

sefton
    Free Member

I was out on my second cx ride last night – its sooo so good and feels so great carving bends & corners up in the drops. they are so easy to rip out of corners – definitely having more fun over my Turner flux at the mo!

you should copy my bar tape choice! 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

you should copy my bar tape choice!

Why?

It’s awful… 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

it will go nicely with the awful cables 😆 😉

is that a Sella Italia SLR Fibra saddle from PX?

I’ve just ordered one but the carbon rails are wider than that on my spoon and dont fit into the groves on my raceface post (looks like you have the same post though??) I’ve just bought a different post anyhow.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    Lovely.

HONCing on it?

‘fraid not Mike, didn’t get a place..

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

roady_tony – Member
    I’m thinking of those wheels for my P-X uncle john – how are you finding them? whats the min tyre width you can put on the them for roadie use?

Well only ridden them the once so far but seem fine, they’re quite light and don’t flex under my 11 stone bulk 😆

I reckon you could run 32’s on them without any problem, 30 at a push. Probably wouldn’t want to go any narrower than that.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    is that a Sella Italia SLR Fibra saddle from PX?

I’ve just ordered one but the carbon rails are wider than that on my spoon and dont fit into the groves on my raceface post (looks like you have the same post though??) I’ve just bought a different post anyhow.

Yes it is. It’s not a great fit in the post clamp I must admit. I had to force the rails apart slightly to get the saddle onto the clamp and you can see daylight between the rail and clamp in places. Worries me slightly, I figure as I’m quite light I’ll get away with it, but I’m keeping a close eye on it.

enigmas
    Free Member

Beautiful bike! I’m very tempted by one.
    Loving the yellow finishing kit as well, Hope you enjoy it 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Was looking at one of these the other day. I really do like this years Boardman range. £300 off the carbon hard tail at the moment too.

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks really nice. Kind of wish I looked into CX bikes a bit more before getting my roadie, not that there’s anything wrong with it but I have a feeling a CX would feel a lot sturdier.

Kevevs
    Free Member

one day I will have a do-it-all bike!

andyl
    Free Member

are your brake discs the right way round? Splines look like they curve the wrong way for the braking forces.

clubber
    Free Member

well spotted. it does look like they’re the wrong way round. sort it out gilo!

Bream
    Free Member

Liking the yellow cable kit, you’re just missing the yellow bottle cages now, put them on mine and they suit the scheme.

Strangely I’m not so keen on the SRAM double taps, just don’t feel as clean changing compared to the DuraAce & Campag I’m use to. Will probable swap it out this year, fit the DuraAce from my road bike and upgrade that.

Apart from that the bike is great, although it took quite a bit of fettling to stop the discs squeaking, then again I mainly use it as a winter road bike so perhaps it needs some mud to bed them in properly.

MrAgreeable

I have a feeling a CX would feel a lot sturdier

I don’t think that road bikes are snapping left right and centre compared to CXers. For a given price point they’ll be very similar frames and many CX bikes use standard road wheels. I do like the versatility of CX bikes though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are carbon rail saddles okay for off road. I mean I use it everywhere, but not on the rails.
    Just asking like?

oldgit
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYZyUygW6Y[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘My new CX bike (Boardman content)’ is closed to new replies.