Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • My old school teacher has just been done….
  • mooman
    Free Member

Sounds as if there was atleast one in every school. There was one obvious offender in my old school .. and my children tell me there is/was also another in the same school now.

Apparently – the teaching profession is a clear favourite career path for a large number of kiddie fiddlers of both sexes.

Peyote
    Free Member

Posters with dodgy teachers: state school or public school?

I went to both, but only encountered dodgy teachers in the public schools. That’s not to say they weren’t there of course.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hopefully the safeguards that are in place now are stronger than they were back then…

Do the “It’s PC gone mad!” crew have a comment?

hora
    Free Member

A grown man watching boys run through a shower ‘to make sure they get clean’ just isnt on.

Similarly the female p&e teacher was known to be a huge lesbian who also did this.

Back then though, when we were younger the penny didn’t drop did it?

cinnamon_girl

But he eventually got found out, no? IIRC.

duckman

Apparently – the teaching profession is a clear favourite career path for a large number of kiddie fiddlers of both sexes.

I have an enhanced disclosure, do you?

Err…no.Maybe we should all stop doing Duke of Edinburgh,running after school clubs,etc just because YOU seem to think we are a hotbed of child molesters, who obviously only do these things to provide us with opps to groom.

I find it hard to believe you are hearing allegations about a teacher from your kids and are not acting on them?

philconsequence
    Free Member

the teaching profession is a clear favourite career path for a large number of kiddie fiddlers of both sexes.

not sure about “clear favourite”…. there’s the scouts too.
    EDIT – 😉 has to be included at this point to stop be being beaten up by the STW’ers involved with the scouts who have no intention of damaging our kids.

the cleverer “kiddie fiddlers” would gravitate towards jobs involving vulnerable children with little government monitoring (religious groups is a pretty common one for the paedophiles i’ve worked with)

bassspine
    Free Member

WTF does

quadraspased on a lifeglug

mean, whoever tagged it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

A grown man watching boys run through a shower ‘to make sure they get clean’ just isnt on.

Similarly the female p&e teacher was known to be a huge lesbian who also did this.

Back then though, when we were younger the penny didn’t drop did it?

Not entirely sure that’s the same thing. Our PE teacher at high school watched everyone run into the shower and run out to check that everyone got a shower. Whether he got off on it or not, I don’t care, he was still a good PE teacher and never touched anyone (other than one kid who wound him up for hours with abuse, then got taken into a side room, shouted at so loudly you could hear from 2 corridors away and left crying). He just counted people in and ensured everyone had gone past him, he didn’t stand watching the showers. I do find it slightly disturbing that it’s perfectly acceptable for boys to have communal showers where girls can have cubicles.

I’d also skirt controversy by suggesting that in college/university realms a student/teacher relationship isn’t by definition “wrong” unless that teacher could influence the students outcome. Said student could meet the teacher elsewhere and have a fully legal relationship. High school and primary school clearly different matters of course.

Peyote
    Free Member

Err…no.Maybe we should all stop doing Duke of Edinburgh,running after school clubs,etc just because YOU seem to think we are a hotbed of child molesters, who obviously only do these things to provide us with opps to groom.

I’m not sure Moorman was saying that all teachers and people who work with children are potential child molesters. I can see why it would be attractive to these kind of people though.

I suppose that’s the problem with these kind of discussions, because they are so sensitive and emotional a lot can be read into a comment when it wasn’t necessarily meant that way.

Unfortunately there is a lot of suspicion around teachers and people who work with children. As a male working indirectly with childrens, and vulnerable adults services, (in LA) I’ve been quite surprised at the amount of prejudice/suspicion levelled at teachers, nursery workers and childminders, particularly male ones (not by my colleagues I hasten to add! Well, not most of them anyway). If this is the kind of society attitude that we’re dealing with it’s not really any wonder that Duckman jumps to the defense so quickly…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I do find it slightly disturbing that it’s perfectly acceptable for boys to have communal showers where girls can have cubicles

Just out of interest – why? I went to an all-boys school where we also did the cold shower sprint, after a dip in the best hot baths I have every shared with another man. i guess that’s why I’m very relaxed about using communal changing rooms, seeing other men naked etc. I never understand why so many people get so twitchy about being naked around other blokes. Most of the girls I’ve done sports with have been right manky gits – would spend a couple of hours working out, then wait until they get home to shower. My wife is the same, even though she’s confirmed (sadly) that the ladies changing rooms at our local gym is not a hotbed of sweaty sapphic naughtiness.

I suppose it’s always possible that some of the other men in the changing room are getting a semi at the sight of me wet from the shower, but as long as they don’t touch, where’s the harm in that?

hora
    Free Member

Girls tend to be more body conscious?

At my gym changing room last week I became aware of someone else clocking me.

Doesnt bother me. An admiring glance doesn’t turn you ‘gay’.

Saying that the dioty bugger was probably chucking me about in a few positions in his mind 😯

duckman

I am a teacher,which is why I am defensive about the job. I would suggest that it is rare for anybody to slip through the net nowadays,certainly into full time education. A lot of cases you now see involve incidents fron the 70’s 80’s and 90’s.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love to be a Judo teacher in a sixth form for girls 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just out of interest – why?

Because it assumes privacy is more important for females than males, which I find a bit odd. I didn’t mind getting changed in the communal rooms, but I’d have preferred a cubicle since the fairer sex had one it’s clearly not impossible to implement. Basically it’s just saying “it costs more so only the girls get it”.

binners

I never understand why so many people get so twitchy about being naked around other blokes

Hora’s extremely relaxed about it. His unofficial attempt at the World record for daisy-chaining, carried out in the bushes near Sale Water Park, bares testimony to this.

Dedication. Ooooooooooooooooo dedication
    That’s what you neeeeeeeeeeed 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

My form tutor from school:
    http://www.surrey.police.uk/media/news_item.asp?area=7&itemID=4873

Nice bloke. Bit odd, but wouldn’t have pegged him for this at the time. He was a physics teacher, so not much chance for inappropriate shower voyeurism.

Dave

hora
    Free Member

Thankfully I never bother to breath in when I’m walking around in there. If I did I would worry myself 😆

steve-g
    Free Member

quadra-spazzed on a lifeglug = Brasseye

MoreCashThanDash

Best to bear in mind that CRB checks etc only flag up the ones who have already been caught.

No system is foolproof, but repetitious time consuming bureaucracy for no reason is stupid. One passport style check, renewable every 2 years is all that’s really usefully required (and two years may be too often?)

Mrsswadey works in child protection, has two CRBs for work (two jobs), one for each of the two pre-school she is on the committee for, one to help out in school and one as a Guide leader. Four of these CRBs are for the same county council FFS!

Junkyard
    Free Member

crb is renewable every 3 years we have had people commit offences during this time at work who did not declare it. CRB also included charges iirc so it will also flag up suspicious behaviour as well.
    Obviously any system , CRB whatever, will only catch those we know about so it can hardly be used aginst it as a criticism.
    Perhaps better if the approved organisations could just check with CRB using appropriate proof of ID and you only do the check with CRB rather than with the organisation.

binners

CRB also included charges iirc will also flag up suspicious behaviour

That sounds like a typical bloody new-labourism. They really couldn’t give a monkeys about peoples rights, or any kind of legal tradition at all, do they?

Who is it who will be deciding what constitutes ‘suspicious behavior’ then? The Poilce? God? And what evidence will be required to have that bunged on your record? Sounds very very dubious indeed

bullheart
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe you are hearing allegations about a teacher from your kids and are not acting on them?

+1

Presumably you’ve since notified the relevant authorities?

I see things from Duckman’s perspective. I get bored with the usual hysterical response from parents/guardians about a subject like this. I acknowledge that there are paedophiles in schools all over the world, abusing the position of trust given to them by committing heinous acts. I agree that safeguarding is essential to deal effectively with such individuals.

But from a PE teacher and SENCO, I can tell you that, during my career, the number of confirmed child abuse situations I’ve seen involving staff is one. And the number of confirmed child abuse situations that have arisen from internet grooming by strangers on forums are numerous.

So how many of you police the sites your children visit? And monitor their friend-lists? There are mechanisms in place to deal with abuses of power in schools; they’re not fool-proof, but rest assured that there are plenty of good staff out there watching out for your kids.
    😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

calm down my libertarian friend I explained it badly. Previous charges for sex crimes where you were not convicted that sort of thing. I dont mean you have a dodgy haircut and look like you might.
    In all honesty if it protects just one kid form one kiddy fiddler once I will happily put up with the inconvenience of proving who I am, filling in a form and letting someone check to see if i have ever committed a criminal offence. It seems a small price to pay to protect children from abuse.

mogrim

calm down my libertarian friend I explained it badly. Previous charges for sex crimes where you were not convicted that sort of thing. I dont mean you have a dodgy haircut and look like you might.
    In all honesty if it protects just one kid form one kiddy fiddler once I will happily put up with the inconvenience of proving who I am, filling in a form and letting someone check to see if i have ever committed a criminal offence. It seems a small price to pay to protect children from abuse.

That of course means that one false charge and you’re out of teaching for ever – you do realise that, don’t you? One false charge and you’ve ruined someone’s life, and not saved a single kid. That’s why including “suspicious behaviour” is not on, and shouldn’t be available to people outside the police. They, and only they, should be responsible for initiating an investigation if and when suspicious behaviour is flagged.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

libertarian ???

Cougar

Quick straw poll – anyone here *not* have a teacher rumoured to be a kiddie-fiddler or an uphill gardener?

When I was a lad, our resident kiddie-fiddler was the RE teacher (there’s a theme here) and our token homosexual was the female PE teacher. Also, my mate Chris held hands with a girl, so he was gay too and had girl-bugs.

Fast-forward twenty years, an ex-pupil comes forward and fingers the RE teacher for inappropriate behaviour. Loads of staff and other pupils go on record as saying that he was nothing other than a model teacher, and it comes out in the wash that the lad had made it all up to try and get compensation (presumably because “everyone knew” despite there never being any victims whatsoever).

Conclusion: whilst it’s undoubtable that there are abusive teachers, playground gossip is not the best source of information.

Dickyboy

So how many of you police the sites your children visit? And monitor their friend-lists?

My sisters ex used to have to monitor & help ex offenders in the community, once found one of his clients had 300 teenage girls as friends on a facebook account!

woffle
    Free Member

Posters with dodgy teachers: state school or public school?

large state comp – I left in the late nineties…

duckman

That of course means that one false charge and you’re out of teaching for ever – you do realise that, don’t you? One false charge and you’ve ruined someone’s life, and not saved a single kid. That’s why including “suspicious behaviour” is not on, and shouldn’t be available to people outside the police. They, and only they, should be responsible for initiating an investigation if and when suspicious behaviour is flagged.

Any allegations, of any sort are dealt with by the School in the first instance, GTC on a case by case basis after that.Then passed on to the police,if there is ANY suggestion of anything going on.So any case of somebody making up porkies to grind an axe will be filtered out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s why including “suspicious behaviour” is not on, and shouldn’t be available to people outside the police

and we get the Soham murders instead.
    you need to be on list 99 to be banned from teacher
    I have allready clarified that it was a bad choice of phrase and means you were charged for the offence – this means went to court iirc not just an allegation made ie the CPS thought there was enough evidence to charge you – will not bar you but it would, I assume , make it harder to get work*.
    Look throw your dice and make your choice false positives and some innocent people dont get to work with vulnerable people/children or dont vet and some kids will be abused/or murdered who would have been caught. You can decide whihc is worse celarly I think the later though if you can think of a way of avoiding the former [ whislt doing the later] I am happy to listen.
    Neither system is ideal and both are blunt tools but to only see one side of the argument rather than the whole picture is a tad short sighted.
    Like abortion I assume most people can see both sides of the argument but would rather protect one sides rights above another. This issue is similar. The effects/risks are so severe it sadly means some people will be disadvantaged to protect kids
    RE Soham CRB was a response to this and to catch people like the murderer.If you have a better suggestion what is it?

Libertarian- minimising the role of the state and believing in individual liberties/responsibilities – ie no checking of folk by the state for CRB

* under the rehabilitation of Offenders act you still need to declare an absolute discharge – which means innocent so there is precedence here for using non guilty/innocent charges that were levied.

boxelder

…teaching english?

A stringer is a beam isn’t it?

cheez0
    Free Member

and fingers the RE teacher

Freudian slip of the tongue?

bassspine
    Free Member

crb is renewable every 3 years

no it isn’t.

. How long is a CRB check valid for?

Each CRB check will show the date on which it was printed.

CRB checks do not carry a pre-determined period of validity because a conviction or other matter could be recorded against the subject of the CRB check at any time after it is issued.
    source: http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/faqs/applicants_-_top_10.aspx#Howlong question 6

miketually
    Free Member

the teaching profession is a clear favourite career path for a large number of kiddie fiddlers of both sexes.

I thought that was Ice Cream Men?

IIRC, CRB checks do not show allegations. After Soham, the ISA was created, as they would also monitor allegations. The ISA operate on balance of probability, like civil courts, rather than beyond reasonable doubt, like criminal courts. It’s the ISA system that’s being scaled by by the coalition government, rather than the CRB checks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I bow to your Googling prowess 😉
    that link does not give a date either three years is best practice for renewal in service and guidance from CRB or secretary of state- cant recall which. They never suggested a date for renewal in service as they dont really want to commit to one at all hence the lack of date in your link. They know you could commit an offence after the date of the check in service but if you follow their rules the organisation would be in the clear. This is why 3 years is either guidance or best practice i forget which. I am not sure of the exact reason why three years was given/chosen iirc they wanted it every two years but the organisations deemed it too expensive. think of the cost to NHS for example of this for all staff every 2 years
    You no longer need one when you apply for a new job within the three year period -continuity of service-as you used to have to get one every time you changed jobs but again organisations complained of the cost.
    Hopefully my lack of accuracy and facts will show I am doing it from memory rather than Google 😆
    FWIW I did not the quote above but three years is used by all LA’s , charities, social service etc that I know.

whinosp
    Free Member

PE teachers watching kids change? Shocked.

Perhaps they were checking to make sure that pupils had a shower that cleaned them so they don’t smell like a donkeys armpit, because teenagers can be lazy and unhygienic. Or perhaps they could be checking for suspicious bruises indicative of possible child abuse? Or actually just monitoring kids behaviour? Cos thats what I do as a PE teacher.

Or perhaps in the overly sexualised hormone driven world that teenagers live in, we all thought that any adult that stands there while we are naked in ‘gay’, ‘paedo’ etc.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘My old school teacher has just been done….’ is closed to new replies.