Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New bike for Oz?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Will be moving over to Perth for a year as soon as the paperwork is finalised. From what I’ve been told, bikes are pricey there.

So, do I pack up my hardtail and get that sent over. Or, sell the hardtail and begin saving for something like a Pitch Pro (or equivalent cost-wise).

Out of curiosity… How much does it cost to send a bike to Oz? Anyone done it?

Inzane
    Free Member

What ever you do, make sure you take a bike that likes sand 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just done it,

For perth I think a Hardtail would be good, get a good set of lights as you will spend lots of the summer riding at night as it is so damm hot.

I sent 2 bikes and a bag of stuff, boxed the bikes and packed in loads of other stuff so was about 0.5m3 and 90kg by boat

Cost was about £250 to ship

Then to unload the container was about £75

After that it needed inspecting by AQUIS this cost £50

They found some small areas of dirt so it needed cleaned this cost £50
    (I had cleaned it with every brush know to man and it was clean when it went into the box)

I have stopped adding it up.

Bikes appear to be pricey everywhere right now have a google for Perth Bike shops and see what they are doing as specials on 08’s and there are a couple of good dealers about. 1 Perth Bike Shop or try the speccy dealer locator loads over there Locator

Mail me if you need some more info

BTW I havn’t worked out sending them back but I’m doing that soon….

From my experience see how much air freight would be.

For more fun the boat is unloaded in fremantle and all the offices are at the airport 🙁

farm-boy

Bikes in Perth are expensive (as is beer, rent etc) so bring your own. Service and availability in Perth’s wonderful bike shops can also leave a bit to be desired.

as mikesmith alluded to, shipping them is expensive, a hassle and takes time. If you are only here for a year you could be waiting for your bike to arrive for the first 2 months.

The cheapest way to bring your bike over is as check in luggage on the plane. Most airlines allow an item of sporting equipment. Just pack it all neatly in a cardboard box from a bike shop. If this means that you have to mail/ship some clothes and other crap then so be it. This will be cheaper as bikes as freight get charged by their volumetric weight, hence the high cost. You only need a pair of shorts and a couple of T shirts here anyway.

A hardtail is fine. You get used to the heat (getting cooler now anyway).

Pauly

I flew Emirates to Perth via Dubai and Glasgow (from Belfast) 2 years ago for my sisters wedding, and both myself and my brother took our hardtails. Packed all out clothes and junk in the same bike boxes (free from any good bike shop) and it was taken as our luggage allowance on the flights; just like flying with Easyjet etc but with no extra charges.
    Forget about shipping them out mate.

It’s a great cycling city, with loads of cycle paths. You’ll want to visit ‘The Farm’ as well. This is almost an hour out of town, and is the best MTBing locally.

If you ned any more advice just ask.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thanks for the info lads.

We’re stopping off in Thailand on the way to see one of my wife’s friends there so taking the bike and few clothes is going to me messy I think. Might end up selling my Pipedream and buying something like a Spesh / Trek hardtail when I’m over there. Seeing as we’re coming over in August ish I reckon the ’10 bikes will be sneaking out and the 09 bikes starting to become cheaper. I’m sure with the price of bike kit I’ll have no trouble shifting it 12 months down the line.

Of course, a lot depends on visa processing time and me understanding “Oz Time” (everything seems so…um…. “chilled”).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New bike for Oz?’ is closed to new replies.