• This topic has 42 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New Bike (well new frame really) built, ridden and erm… Photographed!
  • mboy
    Free Member

Sorry for the Gay coloured On One content (and big wheels!), if your eyes are offended by such things, look away now… 😉

The Colour Up Close

Drive Side Pic in Kitchen

Tarty lighting shot

Bike about to be covered in mud and snow

Bike covered in mud and snow

Everything on the frame has been carried over from the previous frame, a Gary Fisher Rig.

First impressions?

Hard to tell given all the mud and snow on todays ride, I was concentrating more on just trying to keep momentum without falling off than I was on the bike. But I did gauge a few things…

It's not light! The near 6lb frame and the Alfine hub see to that. I'd hazard a guess around 28-29lb with those Kendas on, could easily lose 1lb by swapping tyres. It definitely fits me better than the Gary Fisher Rig frame though, a little bit shorter in the top tube combined with a 10mm shorter stem, definitely suits me more than the Rig which felt a touch stretched. Steering seems a little on the quick side with the 80mm stem and the swept back bars though, possibly also due to the 80mm travel forks. Think I'll be upping the travel on the Rebas to 100mm pretty soon (BB height feels lower than the Rig too, so no issues here), might also fit a more "conventional" low rise bar on there too in the end.

But overall positive so far. Especially the MUCH greater mud clearance for the rear tyre than the Rig had, meaning those 2.2" Kenda Nevegals (huge for a 2.2 BTW) actually have space to breathe in there.

carbon337
    Free Member

spot the dildo…

mboy
    Free Member

spot the dildo…

I was behind the camera mate! 😉

takisawa2

Nice colour. Mate at work had the Orange one turn up last week, looks lovely.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Oh I say! Good work MB – looks reet nice (although I'm not an absolute fan of the big wheelers, I think I can see the point of them). The white saddle looks great in the tarty shot – but did it clean up ok after the last pic..?! 🙂 These current On One colours really are super spangly aren't they.

How did you find the Alfine felt? Did you have that on the Rig?

Whyte1
    Free Member

on the rack in the kitchen – do i get a prize ?

mboy
    Free Member

Yup, I like the colour too, took a bit of a gamble compared to the orange which I'd already seen a few of, but I think it's paid off.

White saddle has been around on various bikes for over 12 months now, it's a bit of a bugger to get clean, but it scrubs up ok with Muc-Off and a brush… If I can be bothered!

Alfine was on the Rig too, probably done about 15 offroad rides on it now. Dunno how many miles that is, probably 250 or so with a bit of onroad pootling too. So far it has been great. The initial "drag" that people talk about has long disappeared, and it freewheels as freely as any other MTB hub I've owned in the past. Also, you can treat it like a singlespeed, and leave it covered in mud between rides, and it still works faultlessly the next time!

Not a Dildo on the rack in the kitchen… Housemates pestle and mortar I believe…

solamanda
    Free Member

The colour suits you. 😉

tazzymtb

like the shiny purple gas pipe. It just goes to show that not all 29er riders are attentionwhores who want to get noticed 😉

mboy
    Free Member

The colour suits you.

Cheers!

Thinking of covering it in gold ano parts, like Mike did with that Kinesis he started off with…

Been thinking about using fake tan, growing a goatee beard, and perhaps shaving all my body hair off too…

I think you'll agree it would suit my new image. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

like the shiny purple gas pipe. It just goes to show that not all 29er riders are attentionwhores who want to get noticed

ROFL

I'm going to run and hide now you've said that, think you may possibly have started a bit of an argument there…

At least they're not 650b wheels eh! 😉

Clink

I like it! I've got the same frame waiting to be built up so it's nice to see it as a bike.

speaker2animals

Looking good mate. Nice one.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers again guys

Clink, I'm assuming that's you with a pic of the frame only on flickr then? What you building yours up with?

MrNutt
    Free Member

that is one erotic pestle and mortar! did the wife buy it or was it a present? 😀

buster
    Free Member

Hinges on the cabinet are out of line.
    🙂

chainslapp
    Free Member

Just finished building this up tonight as its my birhday tomorrow so an early present to myself. Its a second hand frame with donor parts from another frame. Looking forward to riding at the week end.

mboy
    Free Member

that is one erotic pestle and mortar! did the wife buy it or was it a present?

LOL

You're making some rather large assumptions there mate! 😉

Chainslapp, that is sweet… Can I be so rude and ask did you buy it off someone on the classifieds on here quite recently, from my neck of the woods (worcestershire)? If so, I saw it for sale and was gutted I didn't have the money as I really want a ti 29er Inbred… YOU MUST give me first refusal if you decide to sell it, I'm back in work now so hopefully will be able to afford some nice things again soon! 😛

chainslapp
    Free Member

You are right on all counts, I saw it and thought it had been sold, but it hadnt. We have met BTW, some years ago, I purchased a set of Marzocchi MX Comp forks from you and I picked them up in Rugby. As for first refusal, I will say yes but as I have only just had it it may be a while. Anyway, your new 29er looks really good and I have just been riding the steel version which I think is superb. If this one hadnt come available would still have mine.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Here's my latest project mark. Flats on for snow ride only.

mboy
    Free Member

You are right on all counts, I saw it and thought it had been sold, but it hadnt. We have met BTW, some years ago, I purchased a set of Marzocchi MX Comp forks from you and I picked them up in Rugby.

Ah crikey, I remember now. Thought your user name looked familiar come to think of it! Was so close to emailing the guy to ask if he'd take a deposit on it, and keep it for a couple of months, but thought that wouldn't have been exactly a fair question. So just ordered a steel one instead. Which one ride in, I'm pretty chuffed with, should be a good bike, heavy frame for sure, but it rides nicely.

That Zion is tidy Ryan, how do you like the Carbon forks? Did you ride it with the original steel rigids on at all?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Cheers. I really like it. Only round the block with the steels on and that was enough. Feels ok with the carbon on now. Its no substitute for the TI big wheeler but it's new so the "old" one has been pushed to the back of the shed. For now.

chainslapp
    Free Member

He wasn't that desperate to sell and I wasn't sure having only had my other 29er for a couple of weeks, but I just thought that the steel rode so well just go for it and I e-mailed him on Saturday just gone. The good thing is that its got a few marks on it so I wont be worried about getting it scratched as its in used condition.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I think the On One carbons are pretty good and offer plenty of flex and with the weather at the moment, the ground is nice and soft. 😀

Clink

Clink, I'm assuming that's you with a pic of the frame only on flickr then? What you building yours up with?

Yep. Reba maxles, middleburn cranks running 1×9, H-bars. Will compliment my ti ss version.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Clink, seeing your Ti on Flickr made me look for one. You also have seen my "Sand" 29er on Flickr too.

Clink

Been a few new 29er builds on flickr recently; good for inspiration! I've been riding my O-O ti frame for over a year now and love it. Let us know how you get on with yours. Couldn't resist the purple frame though. I'm looking forward to trying the long-travel steel On-one when it comes out (not for a while).

zaskar
    Free Member

Liking purple frame!

Eccles
    Free Member

Six ruddy lbs? Explains this I suppose. Still, not bad looking for a gatebike.

mboy
    Free Member

but it's new so the "old" one has been pushed to the back of the shed. For now.

For now being until you come to your senses and realise that riding bikes with only one gear is for wierdos! 😉

Fair do's Chainslapp, sounds good enough reason to me to have bought it. Do you not find it feels a bit long with the kinked seat tube and a layback seatpost though? Mind you, I like relatively upright bikes I suppose, hence the inline post and 80mm stem.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ha. I picked it up on sunday and it was heavier than my 575 with wotans, avid codes and fat tyres on. Nearly slipped a disc. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Six ruddy lbs?

Thick plate dropouts, double butted 4130 cromoly rather than anything fancier, Dekerf style seatstays, 29er sized (so bigger/longer tubes), all adds up. A 26" wheeled Inbred in the same size is over 5lb, so 3/4lb weight penalty for the 29er version is kind've understandable.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind if the frame was lighter than 5lb 14oz. Suppose the ti version is probably closer to 4lb!

mboy
    Free Member

Ha. I picked it up on sunday and it was heavier than my 575 with wotans, avid codes and fat tyres on. Nearly slipped a disc.

LOL

Not quite mate… Probably not too far off mind!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

It's niche not kneeche.

RichPenny
    Free Member

you find a **** picture that represents ni and i'll give you the money meself.

mboy
    Free Member

you find a **** picture that represents ni and i'll give you the money meself.

LOL

Don't, he'll only post a picture of a certain ginger haired singlespeeder… 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Paypal gift please

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rubbish effort. It's got ni WRITTEN on the image. You aren't working for morons here…..

Fair enough, 100Kr to you sir.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Tusen takk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New Bike (well new frame really) built, ridden and erm… Photographed!’ is closed to new replies.