Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New build of an old frame
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Had an mmmbop frame hanging up in the shed. Never really got on with it in a big burly 160 lyrik build. Been thinking of getting a Soul (much indicision) and have been accumulating bits. Thought I’d stick them on the mmmbop while I procrastinated and use it for rides around local woods. First ride tonight and i’m loving it with the lighter build and forks at 120 (rev RLT Ti are very good indeed.) lt felt brilliant hopping and skipping down rooty singletrack and scampering up climbs. Only bad point was dropping the chain loads so will need to get something to rectify that. Anyway enough waffling, here it is…

trailhound
    Free Member

Looking sweet that mate, got a steel hardtail itch that needs scratching myself!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

does it not feel like your weight is all on your hands now?

RustyMac

mrblobby

was it easy enough to space the forks down to 120?

there was someone else asking if it could be done just a couple of days ago. I’ll try and point him to this thread

Bike looks very nice by the way.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Trailhound, definitely got that steel hardtail itch, but am surprised by how good this alu one rides. Still think it’ll beat me up too much on longer rides though.

cruzheckler, surprisingly not, it feels very nicely balanced. Thought I might need to do a bit of fiddling (hence the big stack of spacers above the stem) but it’s great as it is.

Rusty Mac, I cheated a little. It’s a dual position (150-120) and it’s being run in the lower position. Plan was to get a soul and lower them to 130 (so they’d be 130-100) but not done that yet. There’s quite a lot online about how to do it. Just need an All Travel Spacer Kit from TF Tuned and a bit of patience. Apparently you can also just send them the forks and they’ll do it for you for 20 quid if you are technically ham fisted.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New build of an old frame’ is closed to new replies.