Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New Canyon…….another one
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Have tried the Nerve MR 9.0 SL 100mm, decided in the end that was more of a fast mile-muncher marathon bike, what I really want is an out and out race bike for XC. So in for a penny, this landed on my doorstep, Canyon Lux MR 9.0…..

Away from the value for money which is obvious, it’s just the build quality on these things, are just totally rock solid. Time will tell but it is very confidence inspiring. I havent ridden short suspension forks for a long time, technology in our sport has moved on so much in the meantime. Both SID World Cups on the Nerve MR and these DT Swiss are so smooth, combined with a firm front end I havent found myself wishing for more help at all yet. That was my main fear, have been riding 120/130mm for a long time, I wanted something more direct.

Will let you know how I get on with the Lux. XL Carbon frame, 23.5lbs as seen. Am faffing about with the suspension to get it right as I want it. Do road and my other MTB is a Ti hardtail so am going to get that shock nice and hard and see what it can do as things dry out.

Black and white with a splash of red…..it works.

dickie
    Free Member

Looks fab!!
    So you’ve just bought TWO new Canyons? Both XTR equiped! Go on then how much was this shipped – save me converting the web price to pounds from Euro’s.
    And I guess the two have cost the same as one boutique blinged up bike & less than a Specialized S-Works Epic etc.?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Very nice indeed.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lovely.

mcboo
    Free Member

Not two bikes, Jeezuz no. I bought the Nerve MR, rode it, decided it wasn’t exactly what I wanted, figured what the hell, paid the difference. Canyon picked up the Nerve, dropped off the Lux, was a doddle.

Here is the spec, have prices in GBP and you can talk to their UK office, very helpful. Delivered price is as you see plus about £40 post and Bikeguard packing, changes very slightly with forex.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2066

slowrider
    Free Member

The head tube looks very long, is it noticeable? Looks incredibly fast!

mcboo
    Free Member

162mm on the XL so quite long yes……dunno, what does a long head tube feel like => bad thing?

Those pictures are quit deceiving, the whole bike looks quite stretched and high. In the flesh it’s quite a long, low looking thing, very compact…..

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I bought the Nerve MR, rode it, decided it wasn’t exactly what I wanted, figured what the hell, paid the difference. Canyon picked up the Nerve, dropped off the Lux, was a doddle.

Now that’s good customer service. Saying that, I s’pose they’ll come across it a fair bit with being mail order but still…

slowrider
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the xl bit! Looking again I can see the image looks a bit squashed. A long head tube would only feel bad if you were trying to get the front end low I suppose.

That exchange deal really is a great service! Glad you got the one you wanted, enjoy!

bonj
    Free Member

… it’s just the build quality on these things, are just totally rock solid. Time will tell but it is very confidence inspiring…

good luck changing the swing arm bearings.

They haven’t been built with maintainability in mind, IME.

mcboo
    Free Member

I will be paying a professional to do that……

legend
    Free Member

it must just be the photo, but it looks like the fork arch could get alarmingly close to the frame at full travel 😯

tazzymtb

I like that, not a pretty bike but it looks like it’ll be a rocket in the singletrack and up hills

mcinnes
    Free Member

V. nice.

smogmonster

Personal opinion…looks bloody fantastic. REALLY liking that…must…..not…..visit….website….with…..credit….card….in…hand…..

Kuco

Nice bike. To be honest I don’t really know anything about Canyon bikes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks fast. Only ever seen their road bikes.

rOcKeTdOg

Looks very fast

mcboo
    Free Member

So I got the Lux out today for a proper ride, 1hr each way up the River Lea towpath and 2hrs fast singletrack in Epping Forest with my pals. 77km, lots of short sharp up and downs and tight, twisty singletrack. Trails were great, just the kind of riding I got the bike for.

If you take a pretty cutting edge carbon frame and hang it with XTR drivetrain, Formula brakes, Mavic SLR wheels and DT Swiss suspension you would expect it to be a great XC bike……it really is. Am sure the handling has a lot to do with the fork, was just so precise at speed in turns. Not being the most technically gifted rider, my big fear coming from a Blur LT with 140/120/100 Talas was that I wouldnt have enough up front to get me out of trouble. That may well prove to be the case but today at least I found having such a light but solid front end on this bike (and nice short 100mm travel) meant that I felt much more in control than I ever did with the Blur, which I guess is the whole point of 100mm forks. Maybe I wont get myself in over my skis on this bike……

I’ve got the shock pumped up to 11, was able to barrel through rough, dry trails, roots and the like, never got beaten up, was super comfortable. Able to keep putting the power down pretty much all the time. Again, that was why I wanted a short travel susser.

I havent ridden a Blur XC carbon or a Giant Anthem X Advanced SL-0 so I’m not going to be able to tell you if the Canyon Lux is a better ride, I will leave that to the mags. The Giant is regarded as pretty much best in class right? Looks very similar spec to the Canyon, though maybe the Fox 15mm forks and RP23 are considered better………but the Giant retails at £6700! Mine cost £3200…..

Thats just a bit of stream of consciousness, not sure if its helpful to anyone. I really enjoyed today.

Marmoset
    Free Member

That is a very nice bike McBoo and at that price it’s almost swaying me away from my preferred choice of next FS bike (whenever that may come around…)

Out of interest how tall are you, I’m 6’2″ and usually ride 20/21″ frames – the XL Canyon does seem massive but the TT length looks spot on compared to my other bikes.

mazdarati

TT clearance looks great for an XL frame. Most XL frames start looking bit gate-like but that looks great. Enjoy It!

mcboo
    Free Member

Marmoset, reminds me, this isnt supposed to be a puff-piece.

1. The Canyon website has it’s Perfect Positioning System, where you input your measurements and it calcs the frame size for you. It isnt perfect. I’m 6’3, have pretty long legs, it told me I needed a Large when I initially got the Nerve MR, though it was right on the margin between L and XL. Large wasnt big enough for me, too short on the top-tube and seat tube and came with a 350mm seatpost which was too short. You will have to think about what kind of riding style you have, I’m a part-time roadie, like the seat nice and high on a mtb and am willing to sacrifice a little bit of mobility on the saddle for the extra power….I get a sore back if my seat is too low. So, PPS is a handy tool but isnt 100%……discuss with Canyon UK, are very helpful. I went XL with a 100mm stem rather than supplied 120mm, I like the more responsive steering with a shorter stem.

2. Formula R1 brakes – 180 x 160, I think these might be even too powerful for a XC race bike. Will hopefully bed in over the next couple of rides but I found them very grabby, a little disconcerting to go from 0 to 100% brakes at speed.

3. Very minor point, the Canyon own brand grips are too thin and harsh for me, will replace with some Lizardskins lock-ons.

kingj
    Free Member

mcboo – I just bought Lux and still trying to set the right pressure for rear damper, what SAG or pressure do You use for xm 180?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fence looks a mess. Nice mini climbing wall, though!

mcboo
    Free Member

Kingi. I’m 6’3 and 86kg in my socks. I’ve settled at about 150psi at the back, is about 30% sag on the XM180. I just about go right through the travel on steeper stuff (N.Downs) and feels just about right on quick twisty stuff. On the forks I’m using 90psi, goes almost all the way through.

I’m a big big fan of the DT Swiss suspension. Nice and simple (no propedal) and the forks are lovely and smooth. Zero regrets.

Am still getting used to shorter travel (at the front) but generally very happy with the Canyon Lux. Light and fast and comfortable and crucially I can stand up on the climbs and not bob around. Is good.

mcboo
    Free Member

And CFH…..you have spotted the ONLY part of my garden that would look out of place in Wallpaper*. That climbing frame is a bleeding architectural marvel and my kids are spoiled little brats!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New Canyon…….another one’ is closed to new replies.