Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Cental Heating Boiler – recommendations?
  • DeeW
    Free Member

House being extended. Need a new boiler to run hot water and central heating (all new radiators will be fitted). 4 bedroom semi. Been told we need 40,000 BTU.

Probably looking at a Condensing Combi for efficiency, but open to advice.

Any recommendations on good reliable brands, what to avoid? Any other money saving tips???

Thanks

Dave

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

register on which.co.uk (£1 for the first month). We've just had ours replaced with the Which Best Buy Baxi-something-or-other + remote control etc. So far, well impressed.

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive just got a Potterton Promax Combi HE + with wireless Honeywell thermostat/timer/programmer. Really impressed – i got 28Kw for a 3 bedroom terrace.

Its the same unit as a Baxi Duo-tec 28 so I have been told – seem pretty much like the Ford Focus of boilers to be honest – reasonable price and pleny of parts in the future.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Worsester or Valiant are best, my m8's a central heating engineer thats what he advises, also a client of mines baxi went pop and not for the first time. He also mentioned a German make that comes with a 5 year warranty Vokera I think.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just had a Potterton Performa 30 HE fitted (£1700 with TRV's) runs 5 radiators and the hot water system. Fitted with a honeywell room thermostat, no problems so far.
    Currently running both heating and hot water systems at 75% and it's heating the rooms within 10 minutes of firing up. I'm very happy so far but then i've only had it two weeks.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You'd probably be hard pressed not to get a condensing boiler IIRC – not sure if you're allowed to find any other type of combi these days. Just be prepared for great jets of steam coming out of it – best not have the exhaust coming out into your kitchen window!

Really happy with my Worcester boiler. We know the fitter and he'd only work with Vaillant and Worcester Bosch.

Just a case of getting the right model for your needs in their range.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As i understand it, it's illegal to fit a combi boiler that ISN'T a condensing model. Watching it fire up for the first time is quite alarming as this big jet of steam exits the flue, but stick your hand in it and you realise it's actually pretty cool, all the heat is turned back into the system. Compare this to the old tank boiler where i could stand underneath the flue and practically get a tan and i realise how much more efficient the new systems are.

I was offered a 24kw W/B or this 30kw Potterton for the same price, went for the Potterton as i reckoned it wouldn't be working as hard so it's lifespan should be longer – we'll see about that.

scotabroad

I just had an Alpha 30kW condensing combi fitted by friend who does this for a living. He swears by them and rates them above Worcester for quality control and warranty back up. It has been running a week and I am very pleased with it.

cdaimers

Baxi Condensing Combi 100, great boiler, been running kids baths for 2 years now every night and cannot fault it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not sure whether a combi is the way forward for a bigger house like yours. General recommendations say trad boiler is best for larger properties where more than one tap is often in use. FWIW we are about to have a Worcester bosch combi + digital remote thermostat fitted in our smaller terrace. Would deffo not have a combi if it was a bigger house with more space.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Cental Heating Boiler – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.