Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New mountain bike centre in Shropshire on the Long Mynd!
  • DaddyCool
    Free Member

Hi everyone!

Just thought i’d let you know about a new mountain bike centre that has recently opened in Shropshire, at the bottom of the Long Mynd in Marshbrook (South of Church Stretton, just off the A49).

On site there is a fully stocked shop selling an ever increasing range of bikes including Orange, Scott and DMR. There is also a comprehensive selection of shiny new bits to keep even the most keen fettlers amongst you happy! There is also a Shimano Service Centre certified workshop with Cytech qualified mechanics available.

There are hire bikes available at daily and half daily rates, as well as fully qualifed and insured guides to take you on your perfect ride and show you parts of the Long Mynd you never knew were there, or to help you improve your technique (if you think it needs it!). Also there is a range of demo bikes for you to try, including the ‘Trail Bike of the Year’ the Orange 5.

On the site there are facilities for camping (including showers) and brand new camping pods – camping but for those with an aversion to canvas! There is plenty of parking available so it’s the perfect place to start your ride from, especially as there is a free bike wash for afterwards. The Station Inn is located about 10meters (yes meters!) from the shop for those well earned apres ride beers…

Below is a link to our website and under that the online shop, check them out!

http://www.mtb-shropshire.co.uk

http://www.blazingbikes.co.uk

You should definately drop into the shop for a coffee and to get the latest info on the riding available, pick up a free trail map and to arrange a demo for your next new ride!

Cheers!

donsimon
    Free Member

Only problem being the lack of mountains in Shrops!! 😯

Good luck. 😉

There’s no mountains on Cannock Chase either. Still seems like a popular mountain bike destination though.

I’m not far away on the Worcestershire/Shropshire border. I’ll call in some time.

DaddyCool
    Free Member

There may not be any like the ones you find in North Wales etc but with the Long Mynd rising to over 500m there are plenty of tasty descents to play on!

Come down, I’ll show you!

Cheers

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Come down, I’ll show you!”

Organise a forum ride in the spring. Make cake and they will come.

Spring ?
    It’s not like 500m is a proper mountain.
    December will be fine. 😉

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Do I take it people want a forum ride?! We can make plenty of cake if you guys come!!

Let me know,

Cheers

mmb
    Free Member

are you forgetting the long mynd? which is welsh for long mountain!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can assure anyone that the hills in shropshire are plenty big enough.

iolo
    Free Member

no it isn’t
    “Mynydd Hir” is long mountain

whytetrash

Mynd meant go last time I checked!

Ride round there would be good tho…must be 17 yrs since I last went and still recall one great descent 😀

mmb
    Free Member

i stand corrected and humbled 😳 i believe the downhill called minton batch is supposed to be pretty good( please feel free to correct if i’ve got that wrong too! 🙂 ).

scruff
    Free Member

DC-
    best of luck with your venture. Superb trails around there.

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Yes, you right! Minton Batch is a great descent. However, there are lots and lots of other amazing descents that we could tell you all about. Come into the shop, grab a free trail map and lets go riding!!

mmb
    Free Member

i will the next time i visit the parents in telford (i live in dorset now) as i’ve been wanting to ride the mynd for a while now.

donsimon
    Free Member

Come down, I’ll show you!

Next time I’m in the UK I’ll pop down, you’re not to far from my UK base.

I did put a wink ( 😉 ) up there. 😥

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Great! It would be great if poeple drop into see us! i did notice the wink, don’t worry!

singlespeedstu

Those pods look interesting.

Might have come over and check them out next weekend.

craig_w
    Free Member

As a local, this is great news!!

DaddyCool, what sort of numbers are you expecting?

Craig

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Numbers for a shop ride? Well, at the moment there is a regular Wednesday night ride starting at 1830 from the shop (with free chip butties in the pub afterwards. As far as a forum ride goes, depends on who wants to come! We have plenty of parking!

Mounty_73

I would be up for a ride around the Long Mynd.

How long do you guys ride for on a Weds night ?

Stainypants

Long mynd is the same height as Mam Tor I don’t hear to many people complaining about the height in Edale. It about as high as you can ride in the peak.

Nick

jamesb
    Free Member

minton batch is a real fun descent (and ascent), just dont do what ive just done and miss edge of s/track up the dingle and end up in stream with badly damaged wrist (: = no mtb for aweek probably (:

_tom_
    Free Member

Long Mynd is my favourite xc location so far 🙂

Love the Mynd, will drop in and say hello next time over there.

jedi

good luck richard! 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Also a big fan of riding there! Will be sure to check it out next time I visit my Dad!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Rode the Mynd for the first (and definitely not the last) time around this sort of time last year. It chucked it down, thick cloud on the top, howling gale – and it was brilliant!

Minton Batch was superb, and we were only reminiscing about it the other day. Quite simply one of the best descents of its type I’ve ridden.

Very best of luck with the venture, DC! 🙂

sparkerfix

Been several tines and thoroughly enjoyed it, whatever the weather or time of year. Planning a return visit soon so will have to come for a look.

postierich
    Free Member

I would be up for a STW ride on the Mynd!!!

amodicumofgnar

Its a great area really enjoyed my only visit there despite cracking a rib. Proves just because its not in a popular guide book doesnt mean its not got great riding.

sparkerfix

Proves just because its not in a popular guide book doesnt mean its not got great riding.

That’s what makes it so good!

MentalMickey
    Free Member

The more MTB centres open the better IMO, the trail builders at Cannock have already shown you don’t necessarily need proper mountains to make a decent ride.

Good luck to the bikers of Shropshire.

amodicumofgnar

Proves just because its not in a popular guide book doesnt mean its not got great riding.

That’s what makes it so good!

The upside to the enslaved devotion to myopia in mountain biking?

Elmo
    Free Member

Wondered what you were upto there!

I’d seen the bikes,”pods and banners as I pass. Didn’t realise there was a shop there too. Thought it was accommodation and hire!!
    It’s like buses with bike shops around the mynd at the moment!!

Shall pop in soon,you open Saturdays?!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wow. Your website and business venture in general look really good – best of luck!

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Best of luck with the business venture.

Any plans to develop the woods at the southern end of the Mynd nearest to your base? Definitely scope for some decent trails in there. Would be a good idea to develop that area, as it would keep the future (potentially high) volume of riders away from the popular walking trails us locals have been riding for years. It will only take one yeee-haahhh rider to clatter into a rambler on one of the Minton Batch/Townbrook/Motts Road corners and you’ll get more than close scrutiny from the National Trust landowners.
    Must pop into the shop soon.

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Right, Ill try and answer some of your questions!

Mounty – the Wednesday night rides usually last between 1 – 2.5hrs, depending on how everyone is feeling. There is a steadier group that leaves slightly before the quicker group with the intention being we should all finish at the same time! Its really chilled so don’t worry about it being an evening of beasting! Would be great to see you there.

Elmo – Yes we are open on Saturdays, from 9 until 6ish, give the shop a buzz if you need to sort out a later time to drop in etc!

Yellow belly – At the moment there are no such plans to develop the woods at the southern end of the Mynd. We have so much natural riding on our door step that right now, its not something were considering However, you never know what the future holds… We are hoping to have our pump track completed within the next couple of months though.

Hope these help, any more questions, please ask.

gray

We went and stayed in a pod last weekend. It was really cool – the pod was ideal for winter ‘camping’ – very warm, and nice to have electric lighting, a heater and power in there. The pub on-site served really nice food, and the people in the bike shop were friendly and helpful. We’ll definitely be going back, and I hope it’s a big success. The riding was great too (not our first time riding on the Long Mynd), and I can assure you that it’s plenty hilly enough for anyone!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Looks a great set up you have 😉

Think a road trip maybe on the cards 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New mountain bike centre in Shropshire on the Long Mynd!’ is closed to new replies.