Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course it’s TDF season and we’re all a bit excitable, but can I request some courtesy?

I was sat at the lights this morning, jeans, T-shirt, trainers, got passed on amber by the usual type: new and gleaming low-cost roadie kit (DHB, Ribble etc) but with clear mtb origins (white “DH” spd shoes 🙄 ), legs flailing as he span past me over the stop line.

Of course 50m away he’s flagging and I only have to dig slightly into my reserves (30 mtb miles the previous evening) to pass him.

He catches me at the next lights but appears to have learnt his lesson – no overtaking this time, even with my deliberate even-slower-than-usual-overgeared take-off.

So newbies, PLEASE don’t assume that T-shirt, jeans and trainers = “slower than you”, just because you watched the tour last night and you can beat your mates to the top of spooky wood by 15 seconds!

TIA

binners

Ah, but were they your sisters jeans though?

Newbie roadie here! Mountain bike SPD’s? Check. Baggies? Check. Peak on helmet? Check. Paraplegic riding position? Check Shaved legs? Not a chance!

Anyhoo, thanks for the post. Now that I now this winds ‘proper’ riders up I shall be doing it all the more. Or I would do if I was physically capable of overtaking anyone or anything. May need to work on that bit 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

low-cost roadie kit (DHB, Ribble etc)

I’ve been riding for more years than I care to count and my current road steed is a Ribble.
    As your Ribble comment has no validity I have to assume neither does the rest.
    Nothing worse than a 40 something trying to look cool in jeans and T-shirt either.

GW
    Free Member

Still too shy to speak to these other male cyclists that catch your eye then? Awww! Maybe one day one of them might make the first move. you can but dream eh? 😉

morgs
    Free Member

don simon – HAHAHA ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There are worse than that in Edinburgh. I often entertain myself by dropping the people who are wheel sucking my when I’m towing the kids in the trailer or have one of the boys on the tag along.

Houns

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m a newbie roadie. I really hope it annoys someone.

GW
    Free Member

There are worse than that in Edinburgh.

Yes, You! 😆

binners

Oh…. I have got a Rapha t shirt though. Should I wear that in a bid to be accepted? Or would that look a bit…. you know… desperate?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Owning Rapha (if you paid for it) is worse.

Jeans – not sisters’, just regular baggies, fairly “street”, the Wire style.

GW I’ve seen you looking at me, one day I’ll make the first move…

binners

Jeans – not sisters’, just regular baggies, fairly “street”, the Wire style.

COOL! You is gansta innit BRAAAAAP! 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

It’s all just cycling!

Rode back with two SS roadies last night from central London, was happy to beat one of them but the other was a strong lad and he was on a big gear fixie! Mad fool but nobody died! Re-caught at the lights but then he wiund the gear up and plowed away each time!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nice stylish Troll there Cynic-al 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

Could you show other internet users some courtesy and stop wasting our bandwidth on this pointless crap?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like the way the fly past you downhill as fast as they can go and then die after about 50 m of pedalling up hill.
    I like to sit on their wheel at this point and not let them slow down- then edge out next to them so they can see you are not out of breath then drop down the gears then accelerate away giving them the Lance look.
    I am in lycra how very dare they.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Binners, homie, more like the Cheez in this:

JonR
    Free Member

How horrific that someone had a road bike and mountain bike shoes, I’m surprised you managed to resist beating him to within an inch of his life. And going passed you when you stopped on something as cheap as a ribble! Worse than a paedophile.

wwaswas

I always look for a spoon gaffer taped on to the non-driveside seat stay when I pull up next to someone at the lights.

Nothing says ‘I’m fast, don’t mess with me’ more than that.

binners

I don’t know how anyone rides in jeans. Its horrible! My nethers develop their own micro-climate, similar to a tropical rainforest, by the time I’m at the end of the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So how many of you morning heroes get overtaken on your commute?

Me?

NEVER.

yunki
    Free Member

Al earlier today..

Junkyard
    Free Member

once he was so fast I cold not believe it he dropped me like i could not pedal …was it you al?

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member
    I always look for a spoon gaffer taped on to the non-driveside seat stay when I pull up next to someone at the lights.

Nothing says ‘I’m fast, don’t mess with me’ more than that.

Post of the week…. 😀

finmac
    Free Member

I’m a bit lost as to the manner in which he disrespected you and what makes you feel you need to be shown courtesy and why should he? I mean really, what did he do that bothered you enough to put finger to keyboard? Should he have tipped his hat (lid/helmet) as he “span” (“span”?…what?) or not dared to ride anywhere near your personal no-fly-zone in the first place. At least he “learned his lesson” though eh?I bet you put a knife through kids footballs that end up in your garden to command respect. Lighten up dude. (I’m assuming your a dude due to the wire style jeans…….rad) Bet you’re feeling a little bit of a tool now that no-ones agreed with your post? No? Are you sure?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

it sounds more like he reached the lights at the opportune time.. no?

incidentally i “passed” a guy on a mtb at some lights, he was looking the wrong way when they changed – he managed to overtake me (for i was “wearing my sister’s jeans” and it was pissing it down) then immediately turned left forcing me to brake!

was that you? 😛

Sue_W
    Free Member

Another newbie roadie – followings binners sense of ‘style’, so peak on helmet – yup; baggies – yup; not even managed mtb spd, riding on flat pedals (quelle horreur! Actually even I’m a bit embaressed about that one); shaved legs – erm yup, but only cos I’m a girl.

But even worse I usually smile at everyone, or if I’m really happy about being out riding I just want to share the love and beam and wave at other roadies 🙂

And I did overtake a full on roadie guy the other day – I was so chuffed cos I’m never faster than anyone that after I’d overtaken him, I slowed down to have a chat!

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve really got to start commuting by bike…I never knew it was a race.

Are official commute time published anywhere? Are there any prizes?

Or do you just get the honour of laughing at people because they aren’t taking the race as seriously as they should and are just ‘getting from A to B’?

finmac
    Free Member

HA HA HA……”I never get overtaken”, that statement has just cemented your tool-like status. I’m actually embarrassed for you.

McHamish
    Free Member

PS…what are ‘wire style jeans’?

GW
    Free Member

So how many of you morning heroes get overtaken on your commute?

Back when I did commute I’d get overtaken many times by roadies but I’d always pass them again without breaking sweat as they’d all stop for red lights, once you get into town I’d lose them completely by going the wrong way up one way streets and riding on the pavement.

Binners – the key to riding in jeans in comfort is to never sit down.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

GW – You forgot to mention the trailer full of kids.

McHamish
    Free Member

If you ride in jeans shouldn’t you be doing something like this rather than riding a road bike?

donsimon
    Free Member

Now I’m totally confussed.
    I need to pop to the shops and the nearest decent supermarket is a quick 25km jump over a hill and the quickest route is by road. But I’m not sure if I can do it on my cheap Ribble and Decathlon bibshorts AND a rucksack to carry stuff.
    I could, of course, take the mountain bike which would take longer and it’s all cycling isn’t it. The problem is that when taking the mtb there is a section where I have to ride on asphalt and clearly this is a no-no.
    I shaved my legs this morning and am now beginning to regret it.

Should I just take the car?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

CX bike would solve that problem.

D0NK

only thing that pisses me off is when I stop at a red light and someone rides passed RLJing. While I’m not going to flame someone for rljing, doing it while another cyclist has stopped is a bit off.

Jeffcapeshop, that guy sounds like a right nobber.

donsimon
    Free Member

While I’m not going to flame someone for rljing, doing it while another cyclist has stopped is a bit off.

Why? Do they punch you in the goolies as they fly past?

wwaswas

Do they punch you in the goolies as they fly past?

🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

why on earth should anyone give a flying toss ? I mean is it just me? Ride by me on one wheel while playing the harmonica for all I care. Not my business.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Newbie roadies – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR ELDERS’ is closed to new replies.