Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Noise Complaint – Well that didn't go too well
  • samuri
    Free Member

It’s been going on years. Next door are a noisy family (semi detached house). They play music really loud, when they had a dog it barked constantly, the kid screams constantly, they’re always arguing. Most annoying though is the music. She starts it at 7 am, really loud, plays it for an hour and then goes to work. Then it starts back up again about 6-7pm and can go on till 10, 11pm.

I’ve been very tolerant but this morning was the first day off I’ve had in about 3 months and getting woken up by Queen blaring away pushed me over the edge. Quite a bit of a row on their front door where she claimed it wasn’t that loud and after all, we mow the lawn on Sunday mornings (that’s a joke, I haven’t mowed the lawn for about 3 years). It’s only on for ten minutes, blah de blah, report me then.

I told her I don’t want to report her each time she said it, I just want her to turn it down a bit. argue, argue, slam door.

Anyone ever bothered taking a noisy neighbour to the council? I’m aware that you have to log all the noise and then they’ll install some noise testers before anything actually happens but it just seems like a really bad road to go down. We don’t get on but I’ve no desire to actively piss them off.

I’m sure tonight her husband will be round shouting the odds, probably bring some of his mates or his sister who hates me because I ride a bike.

Kit
    Free Member

My noisy neighbour turned out to be a paedophile. So yes, worth complaining 😀

Houns

Yeah kids can scream quite loud

hels
    Free Member

You have to wonder what the loud music in the morning is covering. You might not like to hear it !

ski
    Free Member

Sounds like you need Ton round tonight Samuri 😉

Hope you can sort something out, but the problem now is, any noise from next door is going to grate.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I expect they’ll take every opportunity to turn it up really loud for a laugh too.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yip – one of our old neighbours got their hifi confiscated after we complained about the noise.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure MTG needs to bring his chainsaw round yours tonight hack some sticks – and i need to do some grinding …. can i do it at yours …. at oh say 5am ? – see how they like dem apples …..

wwaswas

Only thing to be aware of is that if you go to the Council and report a noise nuisance you have to disclose it to anyone who subsequently buys your house.

We just moved.

ollie
    Free Member

We complained, got nasty and violent after they received the letter from the council which we were expecting so set up our camera to record everything as evidence when they came round banging on the door for a fight, one arrest and no real trouble since. Touch wood.
    Hope It all works out for you.

rewski
    Free Member

Yep, we complained about noisy dogs, they’d leave three in the house when they went out, they’d bark all day, and he was a vet. The council took it very seriously, gave us recording equipment, we got evidence, council took action, it stop for a while, started up again, we got more evidence, council took action again. They then moved… result.

You don’t need to put up with it.

epicyclo

Here’s another advantage of living in Scotland.

Mates who can play the bagpipes. A few early mornings pibrochs should get the message over.

surfer
    Free Member

If she remembers you mowing the lawn early one Sunday morning from such a long time ago maybe she values her weekend lie in!

Although its 5 days against one I would be up at 5am tomorrow put the music on loud then go for a bike ride.
    Same Sunday.
    Maybe she will get the message.

cupra
    Free Member

Would a small taste of their own medicine make the point or escalate things?

samuri
    Free Member

And that’s one thing I tried to make her understand. Most weekday mornings I’m up at 5am and I’m concious that it’s early so I’m quiet. I could bang around and play music to wake me up but I don’t.

Thanks for that info wwaswas, that’s interesting, I didn’t know that. We’re hoping to be moving within the next six months anyway so I’m wondering now how much I should make about this.

ocrider

Most weekday mornings I’m up at 5am and I’m concious that it’s early so I’m quiet. I could bang around and play music to wake me up but I don’t.

Sounds like they truly value the civilty of their neighbour at the weekend. I’m guessing that someone who likes Queen wouldnt be a fan of dubstep early on a Sunday morning 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re hoping to be moving within the next six months anyway

I think fighting fire with fire is the best bet then. If only to make yourself feel marginally better. It’s not worth the hassle of having to disclose it to buyers (IMO).

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think fighting fire with fire is the best bet then. If only to make yourself feel marginally better. It’s not worth the hassle of having to disclose it to buyers (IMO).

is it worth having a noise complaint against you though if moving ?

morgs
    Free Member

you need to have a STW party in the back garden starting at 3am on a saturday and rolling thorugh till 1 am Monday

and by party I mean about 300 people 😉

nbt

as trailrat suggests remember that when you sell you have to disclose *all* problems – so as well as complaints that you’ve registered against your neighbours, you have to disclose any they’ve registered against you. Don’t get into a pissing war just before you move.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t get into a pissing war just before you move.

Ok, well, then just have a wee through their letterbox the day you move…and maybe squeeze a poo through there too 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t get into a pissing war just before you move.

Good advice. Wait until you move then come back and exact revenge. * a dish best served cold and all that.

* Bibliography and references at the bottom for DD

Drac

If you moving just leave it. The day you move buy an old HiFi connect it one of those timer plugs you can buy and have it go off in the early hours of the morning for an hour or so.

lowey

If you moving just leave it. The day you move buy an old HiFi connect it one of those timer plugs you can buy and have it go off in the early hours of the morning for an hour or so.

Genius.

samuri
    Free Member

As usual, Drac hits the nail on the head. Thanks mate, I think we have a winner.

morgs
    Free Member

I wish I had this idea when I moved – legendary!

duntstick
    Free Member

Duelling Banjos at full tilt, through big old hifi speakers, aimed out the back windows.

Whenever they’re being anti-social, worked for me, and doesn’t take long.

It’s like training puppies……..

stumpy01

– Cotton Eye Joe
    – I like to move it move it
    – Crazy Frog
    – Blue dab a dee dab a daa
    – Mr Ouizo – Flat Beat

You need to create “Now that’s what I call annoying the Neighbours Vol. 1” and do as above.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you thought of dropping an anonymous letter through their door?

sobriety
    Free Member

Cotton Eye Joe

You utter, utter bastard.

slackman99
    Free Member

We have a neighbours noisy teenage daughter to deal with.

She plays Lady Gaga loud enough for the whole street to hear. Drives me and the other half nuts. She seems to have a routine of very loud music, followed by some very loud sex with her boyfriend. She’s now also blossoming into a screamer.

We have found that an excellent way to play fire with fire (not that you dirty minded gets!) is to crank on Barry White at opportune moments. She’s certainly quietened down a bit this week since we’ve been ‘trialling’ our new favourite music!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Are her parents around when all this is going on?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fighting fire with fire rarely works. I’d been seriously considering the route of a tank of CO2 through a ceiling rose in their loft one night, but decided the fallout might be a tad unpleasant. I won’t tempt fate, but I think the noisy one next door might have got a job recently, though they have just bought a new dog that they insist on chasing round the house stomping up and down the stairs. But it’s only for 20 minutes and better than music all night every night.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

She seems to have a routine of very loud music, followed by some very loud sex with her boyfriend.

Fighting fire with fire rarely works.

Maybe catch the boyfriend as he leaves the house then try ****ing him loudly in a room where she can hear?

spacemonkey

– Cotton Eye Joe
    – I like to move it move it
    – Crazy Frog
    – Blue dab a dee dab a daa
    – Mr Ouizo – Flat Beat

You need to create “Now that’s what I call annoying the Neighbours Vol. 1” and do as above.

– Chumbawumba “Tubthumping”

RealMan
    Free Member

samuris garden?

stevie750

call the police and they will give you the number for the coucils noise abatement team. They will come round with meters and measure the level of noise. It is different higher max levels for daytime though and I think daytime is 7am till 11pm.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re doing it wrong.

I used to live in flats with balconys and upstairs were having a party, largely out on said balcony, it was around 1am before I cracked.

I went out onto our Bacony, in dressing gown, and started shouting (only in that very British mildly raised voiced kind of way) to “keep it down a bit, we’re trying to sleep” .

Increasing the volume each time, I failed to get a response of any kind, despite them hanging off the balcony and me having to have been at least a little bit in view. I lost it. Picked up my trail building shovel and start smashing it against the floor of their balcony. Music stops, more people rush over, just as I shout at full volume “shut the **** up”. They went out after that. 😮

Crazy guy with shovel in dressing gown is the only way forward in these situations.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

So you both argued?

“Excuse I’m not feeling well and it’s my day off, could you turn it down please just for today?”

“Sure no probs”

And this turned into an argument?

I do hate noisy neighbours…across my garden I have a pakistani family that is shouting, screaming and thats just the parents…I now blast my music or ignore them.

I also appreciate the rain in the U.K. now as the kids run inside instead screaming at the top of their lungs lol it’s weird as it used to be a quiet neighbourhood and everyone hates this family’s noise not their race as they are nice people just inconsiderate at 6am…

Day off? Best spent elsewhere instead of home!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So.. why even mention their race?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Noise Complaint – Well that didn't go too well’ is closed to new replies.