Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • North Downs “Hard” Route
  • RealMan
    Free Member

From here…

North Downs ‘Grizzly Lungbuster’ Route – pdf
    Distance: 62km
    Start at the car park on Ranmore common. Allow a full, long summer’s day with lots of climbing.
    Total ascent: 1563m.

However, just put it in to Memory-Map, and its telling me its 37km. With around 900m of ascent. Has anyone ever done this ride?

Also, whats the best way round to do it?

slowuphill
    Free Member

i’d say your memory map is correct. 3.5-4.5 hour ride in good conditions. more 3.4 if you push it. my personal preference is to ride it clockwise. i.e. ranmore-leith hill-holmbury-ranmore. Nice route though!
    Slow

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I think they got the links for the Hard and Medium routes the wrong way round. Try opening up the Medium route instead.

heihei

Certainly doesn’t look 60km although the area can be deceptive for distances. We rode last Monday taking in all the choice trails in the area covering the five hills and racked up 40 miles. For the route above, I’d do it anti-clockwise.

RealMan
    Free Member

Doing it tomorrow, hope it won’t rain too much.

For the route above, I’d do it anti-clockwise.

Why?

my personal preference is to ride it clockwise.

Why?

case
    Free Member

I’d say clockwise as that way you get the better downhills from Holmbury and Leith Hills. 3.5 to 4.5 hours sounds about right depending on how long you spend at the tea shop in Peaslake. If you want to extend it look at looping over Box hill to the North East or Pitch Hill to the south west.

mudshark
    Free Member

That’s the medium – the longer one includes Pitch Hill. I’ve worked out a 70k / 1850m ascent route that also takes in Boxhill – plan to ride it on a warm dry day sometimes….

nukeproof
    Free Member

Thats my regular route…in fact just off to test the new PA out on it now 8)

(tend to do it anti clockwise as I enjoy joining up the singletrack round Leith and Coldharbour then the descent down Wolverns)

catfood
    Free Member

It can be quite a hard route if you make good use of the singletrack on Holmbury and Leith, you can get maps of the Holmbury trails from Nirvana cycles in Westcott and the Redlands trails on Leith are online, if doing it at the weekend you can get plenty of pointers from people on the way round.

The above route is pretty much the route I used to do a few years back but once I found where all the decent trails were I it meant I was going up and down Holmbury a few times and the same for Leith and was starting to find the climb up to Ranmore increasingly difficult the more extra trails I did especially if I popped up Pitch as well.

I always start in Westcott these days and flag the Ranmore bit, also I prefer to go go anti clockwise finishing with Summer Lightning all the way back to the A25.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes offthebrakes is right, they’ve got the pdfs for the medium and hard mixed up. I’d say the hard is better, more of the Surrey Hills stuff on Winterfold and stuff.

RealMan
    Free Member

So what direction would you do the ”medium” (hard) route?

Memory maps got it as 61km.

heihei

I’d think of this in 3 loops, from North East to South West I’d do it clockwise, anticlockwise, clockwise.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘North Downs “Hard” Route’ is closed to new replies.