Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Not buying from overclockers.co.uk due to owners politics.
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I was going to buy a pc from overclockers.co.uk today until i read several threads on the internet about the owner of the company being an active supporter of the BNP. He seems to actively air his views on immigration / non white nationals etc on the forums.

Im strongly opposed racism and nationalism in this way and consequently i wont be buying from this company.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

this from someone who wanted to use a sniper rifle on a harmless band the other day ?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yes. However i think we could all tell that that comment was in jest and not using a forum for a continuing hate campaign towards minorities asylum seekers and immigrants.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Actually I saw a BNP loudspeaker van spouting shite outside the town hall a few weeks ago and wanted to vandalise it 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m not sure why you’re telling us all this o_h_h. But good for you anyway.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just because i think people should know who they are giving money to.

If possible i’d prefer not to give money to companies that have views that conflict with mine and would like to give people information that will allow them to make the same choices.

chakaping
    Free Member

Useful information.

Worth sharing, thanks.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

If you’re going to blacklist businesses with dodgy owners then its going to be a long list.

I’m not surprised about his politics if it is true, the business is based in Stoke-on-Trent after all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Add witherspoons to the list – nasty xenophobe as a boss who puts money into UKIP.

And he has a bad mullet

vinnyeh

Add witherspoons to the list – nasty xenophobe as a boss who puts money into UKIP.

And he has a bad mullet

And gives New Zelaanders a bad name.

Overclockers should be renamed Overpriced, anyways.

toby1

Better stop checking the weather on Metcheck too then …..

Woody
    Free Member

It would be difficult to buy from most large companies if you looked at them closely enough on race/ethical/exploitation/green etc. issues.

The majority shaft someone or something, somewhere in the world 😡

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I do try to buy ethically in general and i understand that in many cases without detailed investigation it is nigh on impossible to find out what your money funds, however the owner of OCuk openly advertises his views on the company forum.

To be honest i’d quite like to stop giving the govt. any money as i don’t agree with a lot of their policies however they seem to get a little touchy when you try this…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d not buy from overclockers purely because their warranty services are shiite.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So you’d rather buy from someone who hides their true beliefs than someone who is honest about them?

I don’t believe in the guys politics but at least he doesn’t try to hide them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fine if people choose not to buy ethically themselves, it’s your money, but don’t try to tell other people it’s not worth the trouble.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is really doing that chakaping, just pointing out that its not so easy if you really want to buy ethically, especially if you shop in the High Street.

andywhit
    Free Member

Ethical pension investments anyone ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I think OHH is doing a good thing, here. Sooty; of course loads of companies have unethical practices, but the more informed we are, the better.

If enough people get to hear about things like this, then it could have a detrimental effect on businesses. Mind, OCUK could just shut up shop, and open up again under a new name.

So you’d rather buy from someone who hides their true beliefs than someone who is honest about them?

Someone who is a closet racist is praps uncertain and not confident about their views, whereas someone who openly spouts shite is less likely to be educated.

Anyway, xenophobia is not a ‘belief’, it’s ignorance and fear of others. And the BNP aren’t a ‘political’ organisation, ffs, no matter how much they try to put a suit on a thug.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

on a tangent, how do muslims deal with pensions (as earning intrest is a form of gambling)?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So much for freedom of speech eh?

Voltaire must be spinning in his grave!

trailmonkey

If possible i’d prefer not to give money to companies that have views that conflict with mine

Just out of interest, what are the limits of ” if possible ” ? Does it mean that you only buy from companies where you can thoroughly research the politics of the owner/CEO or does it mean that you’ll ignore the politics of the company if it is convenient for you, ie buying petrol/oil ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that Voltaire would defend your right to choose not to buy goods from people you don’t like.

Coyote
    Free Member

on a tangent, how do muslims deal with pensions (as earning intrest is a form of gambling)?

They make provision in the form of halal financial services. Not sure about interest being a form of gambling though. You can get halal mortgages too.

jon1973
    Free Member

You can only base a decision on what you know. That’s more ethical than doing nothing surely?

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I’m amazed Overclockers are still in business anyway, they have been overpriced for years!

Good on the OP for standing by his convictions though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

andywhit – Member

Ethical pension investments anyone ?

Co op bank

AlasdairMc

Coyote – Member
    You can get halal mortgages too.

I think you mean Sharia. Halal is a way of preparing food.

headfirst
    Free Member
    BlingBling
    Free Member

Regardless of his politacal views you should’t buy from them because they have the worst after sales service ever!

Appalling customer service and the “I dont care” attitude to custmers.

I’d never use them.

http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.overclockers.co.uk

Check almost any review site and see.

jon1973
    Free Member

I think you mean Sharia. Halal is a way of preparing food.

Halal is NOT just about food preperation.

In Arabic-speaking countries, the term is used to describe anything permissible under Islamic law, in contrast to haraam, that which is forbidden. This includes human behavior, speech communication, clothing, conduct, manner and dietary laws.

Haze

I’ve used them in the past, might not if I need to again…

anjs
    Free Member

Funny how the union jacks have now disappered from their site. I use Novatech these day instead

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Cheers Headfirst thats a very useful link. Looks like Dell it is 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Wow, some of the posts on there are a bit…vile. Lively political debate is one thing, but I’d question whether encouraging it on a board directly attached to a company trying to sell things.

Particularly when there’s posters calling for the ‘culling’ of Muslims, forcing women out of the workplace to make more jobs for men, gays = paedophiles, etc

Maybe that’s why they’re overpriced, to compensate for their limited customer base… :/

enfht
    Free Member

Totally agree with this thread, I’m all for a more open society.

There are far too many hidden leftist organisations pushing their bullshit under a banner of “impartiality”, the beeb would be **** for starters.

goon
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the politics. I gave up buying from them about 12 months ago. They are local to me, so I occasionally got stuff from them when I needed it that day.

The last time I went in, to buy about £300 of kit, the machine refused my debit card twice (has never happened with that card before or since). They suggested I go and get cash (but didn’t know where the nearest machine was), refused to try the other terminal (‘because there’s a queue’) and wouldn’t process manually.

I left them to it, went to PC World round the corner and picked up what I wanted for the same price, without all the hassle.

I’ve never been back on principle, even when it’s the easiest / cheapest option.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve never bought from them before, but If I need some computer bits for some reason, I wont buy from them.

Thanks for the heads up

RudeBoy
    Free Member

OHH; could you point us toward the offending material? I can’t really see owt on the site. I’d like to pass on the info to others. Ta.

Junkyard
    Free Member

wont use either thanks for the info OP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Not buying from overclockers.co.uk due to owners politics.’ is closed to new replies.