Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Not forestry sell off (TJ content)
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member

And I will bet that Cameron doesn’t go through with it. As STW is my witness, if the condems sell off the forestry I will drive to wherever you are and buy you a pint!

TandemJeremy – Member

*Saves post securely*

I’ll have a bit of that.

Pint of bitter and twisted for me please

Forest sales to be shelved

If you are reading this TJ, mine’s an Old Thumper.

😆

dazzlingboy

😀

jon1973
    Free Member

don’t force him to wake up the moths in his wallet 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t suppose there’s any chance we could just leave him (TJ) alone now is there?

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I for one am bloody glad you got that right torminalis.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Don’t suppose there’s any chance we could just leave him (TJ) alone now is there?

This is a friendly poke after he made a commitment in a bet. No attempt to belittle or goad.

He would be sad if we weren’t thinking about him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

so TJ being wrong or rather than the Govt doing a U-turn is the critical issue of this story.
    Bet Dave is glad TJ is there to take a hit on this rather than them

Go on flash comment on it -the u-turn that is- could you do it without telling us how much forest labour sold as well ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yeah yeah yeah

Caught me out lurking. I am astonished at the U turn I must say and its both early days to be triumphalist and I never offered you a beer……………
    However as I am so delighted by this apparent u turn that you may indeed have a beer on me. Bitter and twisted is preferable to old thumper tho 🙂 Its so much more suitable.

Well predicted.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Well predicted.

I just had a feeling. Couldn’t see them going through with it.

Not tried a bitter and twisted so would happily indulge a sample if ever our paths cross.

🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bitter and twisted

Harviestoun’s finest. We get that as far south as Brizzle. I’ll get you one to make up for it TeeJ.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cameron will still find a way to push out the woods through the back door… mark my words.

BermBandit
    Free Member

keep ypur hand off the zip to yer purse TJ, like I said on the other thread

Original plan = 40% reduction in FC funding resulting in a 15% estate sell off amongst other things.

Protest starts

New Plan = 100% Sell Off

Protest reaches crescendo

Revert to Original plan while protesters pat themselves on back

Smoke screen!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah well he knowingly set himself up for that and it’s all in good humour.

And we should all be buying beers, for ourselves and each other, because this is a time to rejoice 🙂

And I knew you’d be lurking TJ 🙂

Re the politics – I strongly suspect of this Govt tha they are talking major doom and gloom with the cuts and everything, so that they can end up cutting less and look like heroes when they have in fact still cut quite a bit.

It’s exactly what I’d do if I were a politician in their situation.

DezB
    Free Member

“The current planned 15% sale is on hold while criteria are examined to ensure public benefits are protected, ministers say, but it is due to go ahead over the next four years – raising an estimated £100m.

Ms Creagh also expressed concern over job cuts due at the Forestry Commission, which will see it lose a quarter of its workforce.

“Over 400 foresters are going to be made redundant, and we really have to ask the government how can they protect access and promote biodiversity when they’re losing the very people who do that job on the ground,” Ms Creagh said.”

WackoAK
    Free Member

I strongly suspect of this Govt tha they are talking major doom and gloom with the cuts and everything, so that they can end up cutting less and look like heroes when they have in fact still cut quite a bit.

Yep, I’ve been thinking that for a while now.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So, lets get this straight…

Govt announced a public consultation into the future ownership of the PFE

Thanks to reactionary panic and scaremongering by a small group of politicos, and bandwagoning by every bunch of lefties with an axe to grid…

We now have the future of the PFE being decided by committee.

Well Done **** 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

S’funny, isn’t your presence here a U turn too Teej?
    Personally i don’t think U turns should be seen in a derogatory light, it’s as if the politicians and papers will not accept learning from your mistakes a as a good way to develop leadership skills (or interpersonal skills). I admire anyone who can stand up and say we made a mistake.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

S’funny, isn’t your presence here a U turn too Teej?

standby for the flounce! 😉

neilthewheel

So, lets get this straight…

Thanks to reactionary panic and scaremongering by a small group of politicos, and bandwagoning by every bunch of lefties with an axe to grid…

We now have the future of the PFE being decided by committee.

Well Done

Well, the consultation looked like this:
    “We’re going to sell the forests. How would you like us to do that?”

brakes
    Free Member

Personally i don’t think U turns should be seen in a derogatory light

+1
    not all u-turns anyway, not if they’re turning to the right decision, no shame in that

soobalias
    Free Member

i love a good u-turn

and i love a good pint

*thread of the week award*

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally i don’t think U turns should be seen in a derogatory light, it’s as if the politicians and papers will not accept learning from your mistakes a as a good way to develop leadership skills (or interpersonal skills). I admire anyone who can stand up and say we made a mistake.

+100.

bassspine
    Free Member

seconded TSY

Cameron will still find a way to push out the woods through the back door

they’ll call it something different but we’ll still lose out in the end.

igm

15% sell off then. Hmmm.

Does that mean TJ has to buy the pint but he gets a sup of it first?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I admire anyone who can stand up and say we made a mistake

so do i but reducing the role of the state and encouraging the use of private /voluntary [ big Society] organisations is a central part of the Tory/Davism idelogy.
    Admitting that this was wrong/failed here should make them think about the rest of their philosophy but they wont. Hence why I see little to admire except them being shrewd politically and backing down from a fight

BermBandit
    Free Member

I admire anyone who can stand up and say we made a mistake.

Spoken like a person not quite able to admit that his idol is in fact a complete tool after all.

The real acid test is whether Dave gets the boot from his chums or not. If this is indeed a humiliating U-turn hes had it, if he doesn’t get the heave then you can take it as read its a cyncial manipulation to get the original plan through. Frankly I credit Dave with more than getting strung up over a non issue in the big scheme like selling the forest……..

Off to listen to the Francis Maud interveiw again 😉

grumm
    Free Member

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

it was up there with the claim that the current govt was not making cuts .

allthepies
    Free Member

Talk about ( champagne ) glass half empty 🙂

ChrisL

Did anyone else get the feeling that the government wasn’t trying very hard when this was announced. Almost like the announcement started by someone saying “We’re going to sell the forests (maybe, if nobody really minds, you know, just say and we’ll change what we’re doing, I think I heard an objection, maybe we should just call the whole thing off?”

An unusually cynical part of me wonders if this policy, which is easy to understand, likely to annoy vocal parts of the population and easy to convey opposition to in the media, was intended as a sacrifical policy? Announce it, it takes flak, it gets binned. Meanwhile other objectionable policies, perhaps ones that are harder to understand and are too complex to explain easily in a 30 second TV news slot, get through with less public scrutiny?

BermBandit
    Free Member

chrsiL;

Like I said

Original plan = 40% reduction in FC funding resulting in a 15% estate sell off amongst other things.

Protest starts

New Plan = 100% Sell Off

Protest reaches crescendo

Revert to Original plan while protesters pat themselves on back

Smoke screen!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Newspaper pages 1, 2 and 3, – Bahrain and Forests

newspaper page no 47,

More than a million local council employees in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will not get a pay rise this year. Unions had been calling for a pay increase of at least £250 a year for all salary grades from 1 April.

Nice one David – Chapeau!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Did anyone else get the feeling that the government wasn’t trying very hard when this was announced. Almost like the announcement started by someone saying “We’re going to sell the forests (maybe, if nobody really minds, you know, just say and we’ll change what we’re doing, I think I heard an objection, maybe we should just call the whole thing off?”

Yes. It was a labour idea anyway wasn’t it? There never seamed to be any enthusiasm for it within government.

An unusually cynical part of me wonders if this policy, which is easy to understand, likely to annoy vocal parts of the population and easy to convey opposition to in the media, was intended as a sacrifical policy? Announce it, it takes flak, it gets binned. Meanwhile other objectionable policies, perhaps ones that are harder to understand and are too complex to explain easily in a 30 second TV news slot, get through with less public scrutiny?

Yep. I thought the same thing. You’d expect to have a few sacrificial lambs in any negotiation.

julianwilson
    Free Member

An unusually cynical part of me wonders if this policy, which is easy to understand, likely to annoy vocal parts of the population and easy to convey opposition to in the media, was intended as a sacrifical policy?

Like the fox hunting bill/act?

zulueleven, did you actually read the public consultation? It was an insult to the term.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Julianwilson – yes, I read it, did you also read and contribute to the the 2009 Consultation on the long term role of the PFE, the evidence of which, on page 50, stated :

There is a notable volume of comments calling for the FC to lease, and/or buy and sell land –
    particularly that which is remote, under utilised and of no commercial benefit. In addition, the
    sale of healthy woodlands and forests can be sold to “safe purchasers”, and the proceeds
    reinvested into purchasing new land for reforestation.

Lease all productive timber forests (secondary woodland/plantations) to timber
    companies to manage productively in the context of strict FSC/UKWAS control.
    Individual

Respondents promote the creation of partnerships with complementary bodies such as Natural
    England, English Heritage, and interest groups that share similar objectives and mutually
    agreeable goals.

See, that was in the 2009 consultation results – this policy and the current consultation came out of the results of the one under Labour!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Zulu, where did I defend labour in this thread? Their fox hunting bill was (IMHO) a cynical masterstroke in getting public and parliament all whipped up whilst all sorts of other less newsworthy stuff was taking place out of the eye of the media.

zulu:

…but it wasn’t really was it? Is that what you really made of the 2011 consultation? Your last post would suggest not. Would a middle-england outcry have made a difference in the 2009 consultation?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The only thing worse than being talked about is being put in Reading Gaol for buggery.

was the exact quote

grumm
    Free Member

Zulu, where did I defend labour in this thread?

You’ve been around long enough to know it’s never worth arguing with Z11, though I have also made the same mistake recently. He is the master of trolling, deliberately missing the point, straw man arguments etc etc

Junkyard
    Free Member

grumm you played in to his hands now he can moan at you for an ad hominem attacks – a thing he would most certainly never do himself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Not forestry sell off (TJ content)’ is closed to new replies.