Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oh no. Cyclist death
  • headfirst
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10362762.stm

Very sad news. RIP.Did anybody on here do the ride and know any more about the circumstances?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Friend said someone had a heart attack (they were behind when the ambulance etc arrived).

oldgit
    Free Member

Leighton Buzzard! that's where I live small town to.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

And another one here weekend before last.

I've done many events on that stretch of road. It's known as being the fastest 10/25/50 course in the region so proves VERY popular with testers from al over the country, not just West DC.

This is starting to happen all too often (another TT death last year nr London) and it's one of the reason's I've quit doing Open events.

All too sad. Thoughts and condolences to both families.

oldgit
    Free Member

Same here, I have been Testing on two occassions were people have been killed, Marlowe and Potters Bar. No more for me.

Waderider
    Free Member

Poor man.

I think I'll just give up cycling as a precaution.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've quit doing Open events

Why? Does the atmosphere lure you into overextending yourself ?

hora
    Free Member

Well if we drink regularly and ride (sometimes with hangovers)- sometime in the future if we keep riding we too will have a heart attack over whilst out on the trail or road.

Slightly OT but if you cane-it for years and ride – your a big candidate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

your a big candidate.

literally big ?

hora
    Free Member

No not you- you are a statistical freak SFB. Well a statistical-Chewbacca to be precise 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

just read about that, great shame. I knew a small group doing the L2B this year, fingers crossed till i can contact them

still thats the only seventh death in 35yrs

Thoughts with the family, RIP BHF fundraiser.

5lab

my mate was doing the ride, got stopped for over an hour just shy of ditchling, said that apparently someone had a heart attack on the climb of ditchling hill (that was the rumour through the croud)

Not sure if this is the same thing or not

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No not you- you are a statistical freak SFB. Well a statistical-Chewbacca to be precise

no, I meant did "… but if you cane-it for years and ride – your a big candidate. " mean that you would be overweight ? It couldn't be anything about me as I hardly drink at all.

headfirst
    Free Member

OP here. So I guessed it was probably a heart attack. Any idea if he was a regular rider/reasonably fit bloke or a "I'll set myself a big challenge but then forget to do any training for it" type?

On the other hand being super-fit seems to be no guarantee of good health…

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/kim-kirchen-in-artificial-coma-after-heart-attack-26664

Slightly alarming 😕

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Why? Does the atmosphere lure you into overextending yourself ?

No – its that you're oblivious to the danger while you're doing it. The best Open events are generally held on the busiest, flatest, fastest dual-carriageways around. The cars are doing 70mph+ and you're doing <30mph.

I saw a YouTube clip of me doing a TT on the A303 late last year and it frightened the life out of me.

aracer
    Free Member

you're doing <30mph

Not if you're good enough for it to be worth riding on such a course!

Personally I'm just thinking about entering my first open events in years, but I won't be choosing to do ones like that (then again the 100 I did many years ago had long stretches on DC and it didn't feel at all dangerous).

headfirst
    Free Member

Whe you do a TT on the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway, isn't it just covered in grit and sh*t, giving you an awful riding experience?

uplink
    Free Member

Whe you do a TT on the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway

Dual carriageways don't generally have hard shoulders

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Vast majority of riders are doing <30.

And anyone can ride the course*. Doesn't matter how good you are.

(* – as long as their cycling club has affiliation with CTT)

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Whe you do a TT on the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway, isn't it just covered in grit and sh*t, giving you an awful riding experience?

You don't ride on the hard-shoulder if indeed there is one. It's generally covered in broken glass, roadkill and bottles of urine. No tester would ride on the hard-shoulder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oh no. Cyclist death’ is closed to new replies.