Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Oil well to be built on Leith Hill, you may like to object [soon]
  • mudfish

Plans are afoot for an oil well on Leith Hill. Bizarre as it may sound,
    a company has lodged a Planning Application to carry out some
    exploratory drillings. As you can imagine, a number of local residents
    and users of the area have got a bit upset by this, and have set up a
    campaign website here http://www.thevirtualvillage.com/oilwell.cfm, with
    details of the plans and how to object to the application.

BigDummy
    Free Member

How bizarre…

rOcKeTdOg

where is leith hill?

loddrik
    Free Member

I work in planning in a neighbouring authority and I would seriously doubt this will go anywhere, I should imagine it is a source of much laughter within mole valley council.

RepacK
    Free Member

A good way to take this forward is to post a petition on the Downing St e-petition website. That way people outside of the local area/interest get to see it as well..

BigDummy
    Free Member

Presumably Mole Valley DC will indeed throw it out. Unless in fact Leith Hill conceals un-dreamt-of oil wealth to rival the reserves of the gulf. In which case I think I can live with an oil well on Leith Hill as a substitute for a war with Iran…

😉

midlifecrashes

Quite a few dotted about near the south coast, there used to be a shedload in a corner of Sherwood, kept us going during the war and all kept completely secret in case Hermann got to hear about them. Once they’re up and running it’ll just be a little fenced off compound.

Sherwood Oil

zokes
    Free Member

I assume you lot drive? I’ll leave you to spot the irony…..

loddrik
    Free Member

I think you will find that oil tends to come from foreign lands often deserts, not aonb’s and aglv’s

djglover
    Free Member

Presumably non of the locals objecting are drivers or use any oil based products in the home.

NIMBYs

andym
    Free Member

I think you will find that oil tends to come from foreign lands often deserts, not aonb’s and aglv’s

Erm right. You’ve clearly not heard of Wytch Farm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wytch_Farm

Presumably non of the locals objecting are drivers or use any oil based products in the home.

Surrey Hills are used by an awful lot of London riders who travel out there by train.

djglover
    Free Member

Don’t trains run on electricity generated from natrual gas?

How many travel down by horse drawn cart?

Ewan
    Free Member

I drive, I ride near leith hill, I don’t mind them drilling for oil there. It’s got to come from somewhere hasn’t it. I’m sure it’ll be done tastefully given the amount of public abuse they’ll get…

zokes
    Free Member

Obviously these lands are foreign to everyone, including the people who have to suffer the pollution there then?

midlifecrashes

Sometimes it isn’t what you do, but how you do it that screws things up.

brakes
    Free Member

there’s no such place as Leith Hill
    there’s certainly no riding round there
    no sir

Ambrose

Zokes- I’m assuming that you can justify you comment. It seems to be pretty critical of a hydrocarbon reliant lifestyle. I assume that you ride a bike, I know you have access to WWW and the hardware that that entails. You are already taking advantage of oil/ gas. IF development occurs pressure will be brought to bear to make it as unobtrusive and low impact as possible. Perhaps, just perhaps, this will filter through to other developments elsewhere.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Reading the web page it does seem like those people aren’t so fussed about a tower being built and spoiling the landscape, but more that they’re not going to be able to drive their 4x4s down Coldharbour lane for a couple of weeks.

Joe

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Typical.

We need more Hospitals, we need more prisons, we need more recycling plants, we need more blah, blah, blah….

……..and you can build them anywhere you like, as long as it’s no-where near me!

boobs

I used to live down there and there were frequently oil exploration surveys. Not really worth worrying about.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here’s a blindingly uninteresting **** bit of information for you all. I heard (from someone in the oil industry) that the single largest pool of untapped oil reserves is actually in Canada and not the Arabian Gulf as you might expect. In fact, there is more oil off the east coast of Canada, than in all the other countries of the Arab world. The only problem is that the vast majority of it is locked up in sand and it’s extremely energy intensive (and therefore costly) to extract it. The oil companies need the price per barrel to be something around $7o in order to make it financially viable to extract.
    Not a lot of people know that.

andym
    Free Member

Typical.
    We need more Hospitals, we need more prisons, we need more recycling plants, we need more blah, blah, blah….
    ……..and you can build them anywhere you like, as long as it’s no-where near me!

And I bet you’d be objecting if they tried to build on in the Lake District/Yorkshire Dales {insert name of place you come from].

rOcKeTdOg

has anyone done the
    oils well that ends well joke yet?

glenp
    Free Member

Take a look at the map and see if you can visualise where that is. I’ve lived here for 43 years (born in Friday Street on the side of Leith Hill) and I’ve probably been through that wood a mere handful of times ever. It isn’t “on Leith Hill”, in the same sense that the tower is – or anything like.

Traffic down Coldharbour Lane might be a snag, but it wouldn’t go through the village itself I assume because the site is not near the village.

hora
    Free Member

If this was in Kent I could see some mileage in it (pun) however in Surrey? Not a chance.

I used to live down there and there were frequently oil exploration surveys. Not really worth worrying about.
    Thats what oil companies want though, they want to breed apathy. Its always worth keeping an eye on every new one.

zokes
    Free Member

Ambrose, of course I use oil and oil-based products. I was making the point t5o those that either:

a) seem to have forgotten that they all use oil in some way

b) seem to think that it’s OK to use oil that may have caused pollution somewhere else, just so long as it doesn’t come from their beloved chelsea tractor kingdom

And Andym,

The Surrey hills, whilst as pleasant as they might be, are not National Parks, and are pretty unremarkable compared to lots of other green belt areas thoughout the whole of the UK; most of which would normally get stuff built on without a squeak from anyone.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” geetee1972 – Member

Here’s a blindingly uninteresting **** bit of information for you all. I heard (from someone in the oil industry) that the single largest pool of untapped oil reserves is actually in Canada and not the Arabian Gulf as you might expect. In fact, there is more oil off the east coast of Canada, than in all the other countries of the Arab world. The only problem is that the vast majority of it is locked up in sand and it’s extremely energy intensive (and therefore costly) to extract it. The oil companies need the price per barrel to be something around $7o in order to make it financially viable to extract.
    Not a lot of people know that. “

There’s fair size deposits of tar sands in Alaska too, the yanks seem to be holding on to it until middle east oil gets really hard to come by so they can use it as a last reserve I guess.

Eldrik
    Free Member

In fact, there is more oil off the east coast of Canada, than in all the other countries of the Arab world. The only problem is that the vast majority of it is locked up in sand and it’s extremely energy intensive (and therefore costly) to extract it.

And it would involve an extraction process which emits incredible amounts of CO2 and pollutants, I think.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Oil well to be built on Leith Hill, you may like to object [soon]’ is closed to new replies.