Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • ok whats the secret….?
  • organic355
    Free Member

to splitting sram powerlinks? I thought these things were designed for ease or use? what am I doing wrong I just cant seem to separate the 2 pieces???

simondbarnes

It's dead simple. Push the plates together and slide apart.

nonk
    Free Member

thumb on either side slide apart dont push from outside that link if you know what i mean..

crispybacon
    Free Member

……… buy shimano next time 😉

organic355
    Free Member

by pus the plates together you mean if u were looking at the chain from the top you would excert pressure perpendicular to the length of the chain?

sundaywobbler

Hmm I wonder who hasn't cleaned their chain for a little while?

Clean all the muck and dirt out of the holes and around the pins *wire brush?* Then try, might be a little easier

DT78
    Free Member
    scaredypants

if yer chain's kacky it can be difficult

I keep a bit of bent coathanger in my backpack with a few spare chain links & another powerlink

If you've never used one before, practise with the chain nice & clean first

organic355
    Free Member

……… buy shimano next time

it came free with my sram casette, and I just measured my old shimano chain and it is over 1% stretched.

Is it better to just bin the powerlink and use a standard link? I have some spare as I shortened the chain.

Jamie
    Free Member

Turn the counterside topwise.

organic355
    Free Member

If you've never used one before, practise with the chain nice & clean first

its a brand new chain 😯

sundaywobbler

that right squeeze together perpendicular to the chain line then push the two 'half links pins' towards each other, towards the bigger holes in the powerlink plates.

Edit, God that sounds like nonsense….

organic355
    Free Member

Turn the counterside topwise.

fuzzy wuzzy was a woman? 😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Use the force.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pinch the side plates together ( across the chain) then slide them apart along the chain
    – does that make any sense?

johnpaulshirreffs
    Free Member

http://commutebybike.com/2008/01/05/review-sram-power-link-chain/

+1 the grimy chain isn't easy to separate and as the op knows, the brand new powerlink isn't easy either. Sunday wobbler – he speaks the truth, even if it doesn't seem to make sense.

Edit: +1 on TJ's comment. 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

I find you have to bend the whole thing one way, then the other then give it all a good jiggle to break the seal, especially on 8spd ones.

DT78
    Free Member

Seriously just buy the tool. For £12 it saves so much stress, and you stay clean!

organic355
    Free Member

thanks guys I got the bugger, sore fingers though, will probably buy the tool to join my other collection of expensive 1 time use only tools!! 😀

Seriously though, whats the advantage of this link?, can I just take it out and replace with a normal link? It seems like a "weak link in the chain"?

westkipper
    Free Member

A wee trick is while you push the plates between your thumbs, hold each side of the chain between your little finger and hand to remove some of the tension in the chain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the advantage is its quick and easy ( once you have the knack) to take the chain off without tools. I have not found them a week link – even on the tandem.

Love 'em myself – never use a chain tool anymore apart from getting the correct length on a new chain

westkipper
    Free Member

Organic, the joining link is probably the strongest link in a SRAM chain, the regular links are the crap ones IME

organic355
    Free Member

ok Ill keep it then, but I think Ill carry those spare links I took off and a chain tool just in case!!

BigJohn

Whenever I split one I'm always thinking of Ronnie Barker "Just J-J-J-Jiggle it, Granville"

DT78
    Free Member

Actually excluding allen keys and a track pump the link tool is probably used the most in my collection. You can whip the chain off in seconds to clean it (bung it in a plastic bottle of fairy liquid and shake). Because it's so easy you'll do it more, potential making your chain/drivetrain last longer.

I have had one occasion where the powerlink has popped open whilst practising bunnyhops. Think I was in a gear that was applying flex to the chain though (1×9 with DSS chain device) They are not fool proof but I wouldn't use a chain without one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

when you put it back on, think about undoing it again. I find it easier if I put my links back left handed rather than right handed. Or to put it another way, my left hand moves towards me and to the right. My right hand moves away and to the left.

stumpy01

Only started using 'powerlink' type things since going to KMC chains. Is the SRAM one the same as the KMC one?
    The KMC one is dead easy to do, although the first few times I did it, I made it more difficult by pushing the two halfs together too hard as I was trying to slide them apart.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Close your eyes and imagine it's a bra.

jedi

theyw ere designed to stop old people biking 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

If it's stuck, add some chain oil to soak in and after a minute-gently try the above and sme twist and shake when you press the plates in.

It will release even if it's stuck.

Also use gloves to allow a good grip (keep your hands clean)

soobalias
    Free Member

i really cant believe there is a £13 set of pliers especially to undo a powerlink that should be easy.

as above its like undoing a bra, one hand, no line of sight, just a twist/flick and its done.

zaskar
    Free Member

I wonder if Organic has had any luck yet?

Looks out of window…

Yep, he's freed it now…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ok whats the secret….?’ is closed to new replies.