Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Once & for all – Hope BB bearings- bearing info??
  • Mugboo

Right before I buy a Hope BB can someone clear up one or two questions for me please?

Do I need a special tool to change the bearings?

Are they only available from Hope/LBS or can I buy them from my local bearing supplier?

If so what is the bearing number please?

I have had a look around for this info but only found conflicting stories. Someone must have changed bearings a few times by now…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The bearings need to be pressed out and pressed in. You can buy the Hope tool, or fettle something yourself; but either way they’re not coming out with just your bare hands.

I don’t know the bearing size as I just bought the Hope ones. Very good quality bearings, in my opinion.

sv

Presume the bearings are 6805/61805. A hammer and drift will knock the bearings out and a vice and old outer bearing race to press them in.

coatesy
    Free Member

Bearings are licenced by Hope,so not available from bearing suppliers, and fit directly onto the axle without the top-hats required by 6805 types.

Mugboo

So no chance of buying the bearings cheap then.

Not sure they are worth the money or effort involved to change the bearings then…

househusband

So no chance of buying the bearings cheap then.

Nope.

Not sure they are worth the money or effort involved to change the bearings then…

Up to you to decide. I’ve had Hope BB’s on both bikes for a few years now and the bearings have outlasted any Shimano, or Acros, bearing for that matter at least two-fold.

trail_rat
    Free Member

buy nice BB – fit cheap bearings …. wonder why it failed in half the time the original did ?

my ceramic has lasted phenomenally compared to the shimano it replaced … so much so i didnt bother to fit the shimano one to my new bike and bought a new ceramic for it !

StuE
    Free Member
    sv

Sorry I fitted the Enduro ones, working fine so far.

Mugboo

House husband- maybe that should have read, no chance of buying the bearings cheaper then?

Am I right in thinking that more often than not you only need to change one side. It’s quite a conundrum really.
    Keep putting in Shimano ones that don’t seem to last long enough

but take minutes to change or splash a lot more cash on something I

have to press in out which costs more than a whole BB just for new bearings…

So my original questions have been answered.

What I want is a low maintenance bike. I ride all year round sometimes 3 times a week and I’m sick of broken bikes…

walla24
    Free Member

you dont need special tools to fit/remove just a socket set.
    To remove simply push a suitable sized socket from the inside(fram side) and tap it firmly on the ground till they pop out. If its stubborn try heating the cup with a hair dryer.

To install push the new bearings in a little bit by hand then either use another socket or even better the old bearings to push the new bearings back in. A rubber mallet helps. You can also freeze the bearings before hand if its a tight fit.
    !Remember! to grease the outer edge of the bearings before sliding them in as this will aid fitting/removal.

the bearings are a different size to shimanos due to the lack of shim ie the internal diameter is smaller.

no chance of getting cheap bearings, not even from a fitters etc.

try >>BETD<<, they fit them free of charge too.

Mugboo

Cheers Walla24

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Once & for all – Hope BB bearings- bearing info??’ is closed to new replies.