Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • One of those cheap Chi Ti frames.
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Since there’s been a couple of threads recently about cheap Chi TI frames I thought I’d show you my 29er frame which arrived last week.

More here

P20

Nice.
    Would you mind sharing how much it cost? Is it custom geometry?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Did you have to sell your front mech to afford it?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Approx £645 delivered.
    The price breaks down like this. All prices in USD.
    495 for the frame.
    50 for the brushed finish.
    95 for the sandblasted logo on DT
    55 for the sandblasted logo on HT
    80 to bend DT
    150 for shipping
    40 for Chinese bank changes.

Geometry based on the Scandal 29er

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Still got the front mech. Hadn’t got any gear cables to put on it so it’s single speed with the rear mech for tension cos I couldn’t wait to ride it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nae taxes?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Nope. The guy in China massively under values the goods on the packaging. He put a $70 value on mine. Sailed through customs.

$150 for a logo ?
    And I thought £30 for Lynskey stickers was steep.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

so, all possible for 650 USD? Not bad!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Was it insured? IME you can’t insure packages for more than their custom valuations.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

A standard frame with no logos, no bent DT and sand blasted finish would be 650 USD delivered.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone know if theres a similar setup doing steel frames? Could end up with custom 853 frames for 456 money!

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Came via http://WWW.EMS.COM.CN and then parcelforce. Not sure about insurance. But it was fully tracked.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you get to see specs: angles, tube lengths, tyre clearance etc?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

it’s on flickr, link on the OP

vinnyeh

How long from ordering until it arrives on your doorstep? Does speccing custom add much to the build time?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

For me…

10 days to discuss specs and get a drawing through several iterations.
    7 days for the money transfer with HSBC
    5 days to build frame.
    7 days to ship via EMS.

Less than a calendar month from initial contact to doorstep.
    XACD quote three weeks for delivery upon receipt of payment.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But they do standard, non customs frames too?

I imagine your drawings are reusable? (at a price?)

Clink

What’s the warranty?

kelvin

Hmm… why are people so hard on “benefit cheats” when tax evasion is so damn easy.

kelvin

I’ve done it myself in the past by the way, with books from the USA; not taking a high moral ground, just wondering out loud if it’s the right thing to be doing.

uplink
    Free Member

Hmm… why are people so hard on “benefit cheats” when tax evasion is so damn easy.

most people on benefits are just scum aren’t they?
    Decent, hard working people should be allowed to do a bit of tax evasion 🙂

Maybe the OP didn’t ask for it to be under-valued on the paperwork?

AlexSimon

Great looking bike. Really like the logo. Nice work.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

This is a standard 29er frame. This is 495 USD plus shipping and bank fees.

The warranty is a lifetime warranty for the original user. The wording is below,

The Changda titanium frames carry a life time warranty.
    We will replace or repair any frame that fails due to manufacturer defects in materials or workmanship for the original owner.
    The warranty does not cover cosmetic or structural damage arising form abuse including but not limited to damage caused by crashes or collisions, owner neglect, improper installation and /or assembly, improper maintenance, modifications, additions, changes to the original product, or other excessive, improper or abnormal conditions. Wear from normal use or environmental exposure is not covered by this warranty.

I have heard it can be difficult to get them to agree it’s a warranty issue. We’ll see…

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I didn’t ask for the undervaluation on the packaging. I was kinda hoping it would slip through unnoticed. I was prepared to pay the 15% import plus VAT.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

CharlieMungus,

Standard frame is as pictured. I think you could change the dimensions of the frame, say make longer, shorter etc and not incur any additional cost. Likewise removing the brake bosses and making it disc only wouldn’t incur any cost. Finishing, logos and changing things like dropouts would. I originally wanted sliding dropouts but they wanted 150usd for that. You could reuse my drawing if you wanted, you’d be better off emailing for a drawing of a standard frame and adjusting to fit. Please don’t use my logo as it makes my bike MY BIKE! 🙂

oblique
    Free Member

On their web page they have the choice of sliding dropouts. I really like the idea of a sliding dropout Ti frame but the dropouts look a bit funny to me. Is the only way of finding price to e-mail and ask?

thebunk

That looks really nice. What was it like communicating with them? Did you specify cable / bottle mount locations etc?

I see they do titanium seat-posts, handlebars…anyone tried them?

edit: Titanium rotors!

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Oblique,

Im afraid so, price are available by email on xacd@ti-bike.com.

When I said to them that I didn’t want the sliders and the price was dropped. I guess everything is negotiable.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

TheBunk,

Communication can be a bit difficult at times. They were always quick to answer, but can come across as a bit rude. I chose to ignore the attitude and put it down culture/translation. I checked and confirmed everything at every stage. You can specify everything, I didn’t, I just used their standard frame and tweaked bits here and there for my own purposes. In hindsight I wish I’d move the bottle bosses on the seat tube up a fraction as my current bottom swing mech sits just above lower bolt.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Just thinking out loud I suppose but did you ask/think about an EBB? Those sliding dropouts look a little shady to me, would be more appealing if you could have an oversized BB shell and stick a Phil Wood EBB or similar in there from my point of view. Presumably this wouldn’t cost too much more either….

Is the tubing butted? Double? Single?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Like what you’ve done with the lawn.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘One of those cheap Chi Ti frames.’ is closed to new replies.