Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • on*one carbon 456 – finalised graphics and reducer headset?
  • higgo
    Free Member

It's all in the title really but I was just wondering if the graphics had been finalised yet.

Also, there was a rumour they were going to be doing a reducer headset for 'normal' 1 1/8 forks – any news?

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Graphics are finalised but only Stevo at OO knows!
    Photos due on site anytime apparently.
    FSA Gravity SXE reducer headsets have been ordered by OO but Hope, Mythic and Chris King all do alternatives.
    FSA has loose ball bearings in lower race and steel construction. Hope looks a nicer option.

Northwind

The Hope reducer is probably the best out there still IMO. Usually I'm a big FSA fan but it doesn't really seem like they're up to the same standard for this one.

higgo
    Free Member

And anyone like to guess when they'll arrive?

When I ordered it said May 31st. Now it says June 10th. I know on*one are a bit slapdash (in the nicest possible way) about their delivery times so shall we say sometime mid-August?

I wouldn't mind but as soon as I stripped my old steel 456 down, the bearings on my FS decided to implode so I'm bikeless at the moment.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I had this from Jon today:

"We'll be stocking a Hope reducer headset from Friday (around £55). There are some very nice Token ones on their way in the next fortnight that should be more like £35, and as soon as they are back in stock we will also have the FSA Gravity SXE that should be £25."

Regarding delivery, what happened was the original, "Due 31st May" Mediums were listed as sold out first, then they were listed as available with a delivery date of June 10th. I assumed from that that the ones you can buy now are a second batch, but I don't know. Would be good to get my mits on my frame asap, but I'm waiting for forks, seatpost and brakes to make their way across the Atlantic and I haven't ordered a headset yet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A steel reducer headset on a carbon frame WTF?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Is this an appropriate headset for the 456 Carbon Frame with a 1.1/8th inch non-tapered steerer?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fsa-gravity-sx-integrated-headset-no-55-1-1-1-8-id57583.html

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Bump?

nickc

Problem?

higgo
    Free Member

Is this an appropriate headset for the 456 Carbon Frame with a 1.1/8th inch non-tapered steerer?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fsa-gravity-sx-integrated-headset-no-55-1-1-1-8-id57583.html

Dunno. I've never actually seen an unbuilt tapered headtube frame. Once I've actually clapped eyes on it I'll be happier about what sort of headset it needs. I'm confused about the whole tapered thing – is there only one 'standard' or more than one. That headset (SX 55-1) appears to have a different bottom race shape to the SXE – integrated/internal vs. 'normal' press in. Maybe it's just the picture?

docrobster
    Free Member

I'm confused about the whole tapered thing

me too, confused as to whether it will make a blind bit of difference to how a bike rides or whether it's just marketing hype to sell more kit.
    I'd be interested to hear either the engineering behind how it makes the front end of a bike stiffer or whatever it's meant to (I'm not an engineer by the way) or from someone who has ridden a bike with tapered head tube- can you tell the difference?

billybob
    Free Member

That headtube is fugly….

billybob
    Free Member

That said – so is the Ibis tranny headtube – must be something to do with the larger headtube….

higgo
    Free Member

That headtube is fugly….

I'm hoping to adorn the bike with enough spangly tat to divert attention away from the headtube.

peachos
    Free Member

There's a good headset selector on the Cane Creek Website, it tells you what all the standards are and what will fit the bike. The problem is working out exactly which standards that shop blurb means, making sure they're not for a tapered steerer etc. It's pretty easy to sort it if you but a 1.1/8th and a 1.5" Headset, then fit half of each. It's just if you don't want to waste half your cash that it gets complicated.

fisha
    Free Member

The ibis tranny in person is a lovely …. frame. 🙂

osian
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the hope jobbies come in all the spangly colours?

higgo
    Free Member

confused as to whether it will make a blind bit of difference to how a bike rides or whether it's just marketing hype to sell more kit.

I know my view.

I don't doubt that a 1.5" steerer is stiffer than a 1.125" steerer. But there are lots of things between me and the ground that aren't as stiff as a steerer including (but not limited to):
    ~ tyres
    ~ rims
    ~ spokes
    ~ hub flanges
    ~ axles
    ~ fork stanchions
    ~ bars
    ~ grips

So I, personally, doubt that I could feel the difference.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Can someone have a look at that headset I've linked to and advise on whether it will fit? The blurb suggests that it will, but I'm concerned by the use of the word 'integrated' in the name. Does that just mean the bearings sit inside the 1.5" headtube, or does it mean it is an Integrated Standard fit? I've contacted JE James, but not heard back.

Thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nickc – Member

Problem?

carbon = light, steel = heavy. Just seems inconsistent.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

But even a heavy headset is quite light in the scheme of things. Does anyone even make a carbon mountain bike headset??

Anyway, can we answer my question please? I'm concerned that I will arrive at a point in time where all my bits converge and I'll be unable to ride due to indecision over a headset!

docrobster
    Free Member

Higgo that's exactly what I'm thinking- when did we ever worry about flexy steerers, until someone invented a less flexy steerer?
    Just cos a bigger tube is less flexy in tests it doesn't mean it will make a noticeable difference when part of a bike.
    Seems plenty of people will buy into the new standard though!

tinsy
    Free Member

paulrockliffe. I dont think anyone is ignoring you, just probably not sure of the answer, On One might be a better bet, or buy one the headsets they are going to be stocking, that way you can be sure it fits.

docrobster, its hardly new, its just a bastardation of a 1.5 steerer and an 1 1/18th steerer… 1.5 have been about for years now, and pretty sure the taper steerer has been about for quite some time too (not sure how long). If it makes it stiffer/stronger for a minimal or no weight gain, why not… But run std forks in it with a reducer at the bottom and it wont make any difference whatsover.

Cynic-al the reducer is just so people can lob their current forks on, for any gain you would have to invest in taper steerer forks, then you dont have the extra involved in reducing.

wwaswas

docrobster – wonderful article about not being able to live without stuff you didn't know existed until 5 minutes ago here;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/30/lavatory-technology-david-mitchell

he's good that David Mitchell

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But even a heavy headset is quite light in the scheme of things.

You haven't held an FSA steel reducer headset, it weighs as much as my Scandal.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, cheers, hopefully JE James will be able to give me the dimensions for that headset, so I know. On One reckon 2 weeks for Hope, and more for the other options, so was hoping to get something sorted before then in case they decide to deliver the frames before then. Maybe someone should have made a steel ring, like a lower race that converts a fork steerer from 1.1/8th to 1.5" tapered, that would make life so much easier!

nickc

carbon = light, steel = heavy. Just seems inconsistent.

Aye, right enough.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I see they have some frames in now very nice.

higgo
    Free Member

I see they have some frames in now very nice.

Where?
    Any new pics?

higgo
    Free Member

Found it…

coogan
    Free Member

Wow. That is utterly hideous.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seen worse.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

that is indeed minging.

coogan
    Free Member

Apart from that Carbon Nomad, carbon frames just don't for me. And even then I'm reserving judgement till I see one. 😡

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Agree, it's not the best design they could have chosen. Still, at least it doesn't stand out that much.

Didn't put me off anyway, ordered one earlier 8)

fontmoss
    Free Member

mr coogan what about the superfly? likey? no likey?

(I know it's gratuitous but im spending every day between now and the end of June inside studying not riding)

sv

Giant Trance copy anyone?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ha ha, typical Singletrack not having a clue about what looks good and what doesn't!

nickc

Strange comment paulrockliffe, I don't remember voting you in as "Arbiter of all things stylish"

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

No, but don't worry, I'm right about this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘on*one carbon 456 – finalised graphics and reducer headset?’ is closed to new replies.