Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • orange 5- blackspire stinger fitting problem
  • rubberneck
    Free Member

morning all,

i have recently fitted a stinger to my 2008 orange 5 and was quite pleased with it until i started having problems with the evolve xc drive side crank arm coming loose, i dont think the crank has come to the end of its usefull life but its possible. it seems that to get the clearance i need (chain ring bolts, chain rubbing the plate) i have to use a 4mm spacer which in turn doesnt allow me to send the crank all the way home on the splined teeth allowing it to work loose over time . if i really tighten the crank bolt up it prevents the BB from doing its job properly and im sure it will crush the bearings.

anybody had/overcome this problem ??

the only way around this i can think of is to get the BB shell faced a couple of MM and build it out with spacers,,, something im not sure is a good idea OR if im right,,,, does buying a new AM type crank (damn 😀 ) with the 6mm adjustable chain line overcome this problem.

please help 'oh wise ones'

PS i have used a torque wrench and lock tight but it still means that the crank isnt fitted correctly on the splined teeth

xiphon
    Free Member

Which version of the Stinger are you using?

I tried the ISCG to BB adapter, and it didn't fit well (on an old Patriot… sort of similar), so I'm switching to the BB-only model.

stevede
    Free Member

Sorry to ask but presuming its bb mount then you have taken the spacer off your bb and replaced with the stinger? I've just fitted one to my 06 five a few weeks ago with slx cranks though. I found that the backplate rubbed on my chain a bit in the granny ring and 1 – 4 on the back so i bent the plate round a bit and also put some insulation tape on the back plate to keep it quiet – just rubs slightly in 1st and 2nd now.

jonzo
    Free Member

I’m having exactly the same problem as original post… has anybody solved this problem yet?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The arm of the BB mount stinger is near-enough the same thickness as a single BB spacer, so it SHOULD be just a case of substituting for one of the two drive-side spacers.

The only question for me was “which spacer to drop, to have the remaining one inboard or outboard of the stinger”. The answer to which has been debated at length but TBH it’s trial and error until you find the config that works best on your bike.

Can’t figure out why crank arm loosening should be related to the stinger.

SLX cranks and XT BB worked fine with Stinger for me (on Meta 5).

lcj

I had this problem. I was running the Stinger with an E13 adaptor, and couldn’t get a shimano crank on far enough on the other side. Shimano BB cups too.

I did a lot of filing and butchering of the E13 adaptor to get it to work but it was never perfect. In the end, a Hope BB (which seemed to have deeper external cups) cured the problem.

A friend with the same vintage frame and Race Face cranks has installed a BB mounted one without any issues so far, however.

sailor74
    Free Member

BB mount stingers should directly replace the drive side spacer on your bottom bracket. Thats it, take the spacer out and put the stinger in. The chain will rub the back plate in the first couple of gears though and there isnt much you can do about it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

its the crank not the bike. I sold a stinger on here as it wouldnt work with a RF crank, and having posted a Q about it had several similar responses. I think RF rings are mounted closer inboard than shimano relative to the BB shell.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/setting-up-blackspire-stinger-different-poster-different-problem

followed by 🙄

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-blackspire-stinger-bb-mount-dualie-chain-guide

jonzo
    Free Member

@ Munqe-chick… I’ve come to the same conclusion and am going to have to ditch the Stinger.

albash82
    Free Member

goddam it! i just had the same issue trying to fit a BB mount Stinger to my mates ’09 Orange 5 with RF cranks. So is there a similar device that’s compatible that anybody knows of?

rs
    Free Member

i think its more of a stinger problem the screws on mine don’t sit flush with the plate using an ISCG05 mount on a bullit. I filed the bolt heads and its ok but a pain in the ass at the same time.

el_diablo
    Free Member

08 Five, RF Deus cranks and BB mounter Stinger here.

I had to fit a 1mm BB spacer between the Stinger and the cranks, otherwise the granny ring bolts caught on the stinger. Before I machined the 1mm spacer, I’d tried a 2.5mm but that caused the BB to go very stiff. I then spent ages thinning the spacer down until the BB spun freely and the chainring bolts didn’t catch!

I’ve recently put the RF cranks on another bike and replaced them with XT ones. No issues with that and I’ve removed the 1mm spacer.

So to surmise, it’s a RF crank vs Blackspire Stinger compatibility thing – maybe?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘orange 5- blackspire stinger fitting problem’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM