Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange 5 – RP23 Propedal settings
  • iainc

Curious to see what settings folks tend to use – I find that on 1 or 2 I can hardly notice the effect of switching it on, so usually run on 3. I know it’s all weight dependant etc. I am about 13 stone.

nickegg
    Free Member

For what its worth, i use maximum (3) for roads,fire roads or really smooth trails (like Brechfa forest, if you know it?) and for every thing else i leave it open.

I too can’t really find a use for 1 and 2. It seems to pedal so well when open.

iainc

nickegg – I am same, only use it on fireroads and tarmac.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

My PP is always left on setting 2. Only time I ever use 3 (which is basically locked out) is on roads or tough climbs.

TBH, I have all these settings at my disposal (along with Float RLCs) and I hardly ever alter anything which leads me to believe that they’re just not necessary. Once you have something that feels right you leave it as is.

There is also an element of the single pivot design working so well. The demo Orange 5 ’07 I rode had Float Rs and a Manitou Swinger 3 Way and I was more then happy with the ride.

coatesy
    Free Member

Pro-pedal settings also vary in their effectiveness depending on what compression setting the shock has, Orange originally spec’ing low.You can check these settings on a sticker next to the shaft/air can seal.

Del

i asked this a while ago. at 12 and a bit stone i’m running about 215 psi in my rp23, which is 2008, with the low compression setup, FWIW. gives about 25% sag ( note that the full length of the shaft is NOT the available travel on the shock ).
    that works nicely. lower and i didn’t really see the pp working at all, even on ‘3’, and it all felt a bit wobbly, but now it seems fab.

emac65
    Free Member

3 or off on my Trance,1 & 2 are a waste of time tbh….

Burchy1
    Free Member

Mines an 07 Five with the standard RP23 before they did a 5 specific tuned one and i run about 155psi and only ever use PP off or on the 1 setting for road/fireroads…i do only weigh about 11st dripping wet though.

iainc

Del, Interesting, as I am a bit heavier and with 150psi in the shock. Maybe I have it too soft ? How do you mean about the full length of the shaft not being the full travel ? surely it bottoms out at the same position as when the o ring pushes off the shaft ?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I’m like Burchy and have an 07 Five with standard RP23 shock. Didn’t know they did a specific one for later models. I’m 13st and run approx 180psi.

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

I’ve just had a fiddle with mine this morning. It was a bit on the stiff side. I’m 12st ,I put in 170psi ,and I have found it most useful in PP3.
    As above ,it doesnt seem to do owt in the other settings.

It used to be all so simple…….

iainc

update – increased the presure to 190, and it feels a lot better, thanks all.

(mine is an 08, also with the custom tuned shock)

Del

Iain,
    if you let all the air out you’ll see how far the can goes down. it’s about 5mm short of the end i think? least it was on mine.

iainc

Del – cheers – I had a look at manual etc ! – it’s a 190mm shock, so has 2 inches of travel (50.8mm). I pumped it up to 190 psi and got the sag at about 13mm – rides much better, and propedal 3 is like what it should be I think -)

GaryLake
    Free Member

’08, PP3 on fireroads otherwise wide open.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 – RP23 Propedal settings’ is closed to new replies.