• This topic has 77 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Organised Wednesday Pentlands/GT ride ?
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

Anything planned for tomorrow ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm

Where are the TBC boys? We have had one very wed for a year or so so yes I would think so but nowt that I have seen from them yet

13thfloormonk

I’d certainly join in as far as Bonaly, on the s/s cross bike though so would probably then head off to skulk around the foothills for an hour or so.

Northwind

Looks like it’s going to be a great night, according to the BBC, clear skies and low winds… Cold obviously. Sounds lovely. Bet there’s a bit of mud on though.

WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN US O BIKECHAIN?1!??!ONE!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m meeting a couple of mates at Bonaly store at 7pm. Hopefully there will be others joining us from here/TBC.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok 6.15 leave TBC. 7 pm at bonally as usual. I’ll be there unless a last minute call to work

ojom
    Free Member

Aye aye what’s with all the keen’ness.

Usual story. See you there.

druidh
    Free Member

Jeez – I take a couple of days off and things are slacking already.
    Count me out tomorrow – I will be driving back from the (not so) frozen north.

coastkid
    Free Member

im out this week…Thursday night locally too as got the lergy 🙁
    will be out for E.L Sunday ride whatever 😮

robgarrioch

Be sure to ride by Colinton surgery & wave as I learn all about massaging away the pain of childbirth…. or not.

ojom
    Free Member

Onion- insolence like that earns p45’s. Want me to prep one for your return?

(Got that matrix thing fixed btw… the one you text me about the other night… drop me a text if you aint in a tent somewhere)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can I have his job?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I feel we have been robbed an awesome thread title!

Damn you Grant damn you!

7hz
    Free Member

Where exactly is the store you meet up at? I haven’t done this before and fancy it…

AlasdairMc

It’s quite funny that everyone has come to rely on TBC, as if the Pentlands cease to exist when they’re not present…

Not for me tonight, jelly legs already this week so don’t want to destroy myself completely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

7hz – Member

Where exactly is the store you meet up at? I haven’t done this before and fancy it…

Two meet point – “the bike chain” on rodney street ( near cannonmills) at 6.15 or the small general store in bonally at 7 pm

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=55.901231,-3.259506&spn=0.011597,0.027595&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.901232,-3.259337&panoid=dFfDHKBZIrYfb0sBlEd2zA&cbp=12,199.54,,0,5

7hz
    Free Member

Thanks TJ!

Alanr
    Free Member

Meet you all at Bonaly.

stanfree
    Free Member

Was up the Pentlands today for a wee spin .(Castlelaw over hill >Capelaw nth >Bonaly res > Scalextrix > Clubbiedean > Pistachio > Maidens to Flotterstone > Castlelaw). Stunning day but conditions were to say the least wet , On the high ground you were getting nice frozen paths then a thawed out 6″ deep puddle of mud so be careful tonight folks . Enjoy.

robgarrioch

Spoken, and photographed, like a native, Paul. Nice photaes.

ojom
    Free Member

I was up in similar on Sunday stanfree – so wet it was unreal.

Bonaly road near the scoutcamp was totally flooded. Wet feet in the first 5 mins of the ride.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

looks stunning Stan, bet it was baltic though! 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

My legs hurt today and it’s cold. Can we go slow?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member

My legs hurt today and it’s cold. Can we go slow?

You’re the one who races off like a scalded whippet with a rocket up its bum.

stanfree
    Free Member

Cheers Rob , to be honest before I went on the TBC rides I thought I knew the trails up there . But with the knowledge of yourself , TJ, Druid and Mark there was a whole lot more I wouldn’t have had a clue about.

Paul was pretty cold up at the top but the views were stunning with a totally blue sky . Felt like I had stood behind a muck spredder after dropping down to Glencorse.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No happening for me tonight sadly. Imminent carpet arrival and unpainted skirting board timing problem.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I was out at home last night, very wet, very slippy. Great fun in a off camber slidey kinda way. I suggest a Pentlands amnesty, until the big freeze anyway, before all the singletrack becomes muddy motorway. Be responsible out there folks.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m with Steven on this.

Road riding for the next couple of months folks?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Road riding! surely there are a few trails that can take it?

coastkid
    Free Member

Ah…. the sandy trails of East Lothians coastline… 😉
    then theres the beaches :mrgreen:

see you all Sunday for some eco friendly/non erosive easy days trailriding (with more liver damage!)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’m starting to think that all the best bits that are doable on a night ride are all starting to get really badly worn, the likes of Phantoms, Black Hill, the woods along pistachio way, Nail trail etc. Apart from Maidens I’m struggling to think of anything fun to ride on a night ride.

stanfree
    Free Member

Shame the Lammies are so uninspiring , basically miles of Land rover tracks surrounded by nothing. 🙁

coastkid
    Free Member

Shame the Lammies are so uninspiring , basically miles of Land rover tracks surrounded by nothing.

ssssshhhhhhh… 😉

er yeah totally bog ridden nobody go there…..
    all this is now ploughed over for a supermarket!…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxFfqVqKAM&feature=related[/video]

and this day i first met yodagoat 😮
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8unCkNSIY&feature=related[/video]

Northwind

Sorry for bailing early folks, thought I’d better quit while I was ahead when my knee starting twinging again. Lovely night for a ride…

AlasdairMc

Any suggestions other than the Pentlands then? What about somewhere like Pitmedden or Beecraigs instead?

We used to have a Wednesday night MTB Scotland ride at Beecraigs, it’s a good wee place

Northwind

I’d like to get back to Beecraigs some time, I wouldn’t recognise a single trail when it’s not under snow though I think. Up for getting away anywhere really but armoured trails are a bit of a temptation this time of year…

ojom
    Free Member

That was a cracking night, rode with the girls from Hervelo in a group (we elected to ride non sensitive bits and split the group over sections where needed etc) and they schooled us appropriately!

Couple of ill call offs, hope the knee is better NW and Jo dropped off with suspected concussion… oops.

very wet up there in some places and then bone dry in others and a lot of ice.

I can confirm the conformation of TJ’s bike to legal things with the sheer amount of reflective ‘stuff’ he has placed all over it… dim your lights near him or be blinded. You have ben warned,

thanks all. I needed that!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with Steve to some extent – its getting hard to find stuff to entertain that is not eroding. today we did a fairly dull ride because of that. Having said that even at its dullest the pentlands beats road riding hands down. I ain’t road riding for sure. Just say no!

Today right at puke hill towards clubbie dean but miss the clubbidean singletrack, up rocky road miss the bit in the woods, maidens, castlelaw on the landrover track, round capelaw hill, back to puke hill – 4 of us split off and went thru the woods the rest straight back down puke hill. Nothing there that is too fragile but not the most exciting ride either – apart from the ice in places.

Rather than road riding I’d rather ride the canal and old railway out and around the almond and similar stuff.

Remeber there is a few of us that don’t have cars

7hz
    Free Member

Good ride – well chosen route that wasn’t muddy (for the most part).

I looked at my brakes when I got home – no oil in both reservoirs – must have used up more pads than I’d though in the last couple of weeks, or just not filled up the reservoirs enough when I put new pads in some months ago.

Anyway, working now. Thanks to Ian for guiding me home after I trundled on ahead and went the wrong way. Going down Dreghorn Drop with no front or rear brake… even walking it was hard work, if I was walking down a hill I’d normally drag the breaks to keep me steady, bikes are funny things without brakes 🙂

So – my first Wednesday group ride. Must try harder (maintain the effing bike better!).

Hope to see some of you on Sunday?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We could try some urban singletrack as well – between us we must know enough for an entertaining Nightride?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Organised Wednesday Pentlands/GT ride ?’ is closed to new replies.