Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • P7 vs.Cree MC-E Flashlights
  • z1ppy

Not seen anyone review these side by side, but the gumf about the Cree MC-E meant I had to take a look – that and a m8 instantly wanted the P7 when I showed it him…
    Now before you get too excited I must admit to loosing my camera whilst out on our drunken Xmas bike ride… sorry, no pictures.

Anyways I got one of the MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight , it’s the dogs dangly’s as far as I’m concerned, been running it with my (tired) HID and been amazed.
    So I took the plunge and purchased a MTE M3-2 Cree MC-E 8-Mode LED Flashlight

It only arrived today, so I’ve only had chance to trying under the stairs and in a short darkened corridor, in these highly scientific test conditions:
    The P7 definitely has a brighter center spot on all modes (fricken 8 mode on the MC-E is a nightmare), though on the high beam it’s neglible.
    The spot of the MC-E though is about 1/3 to 1/2 as big again though, than that of the P7. On our tacky purple wallpaper (we will get to re-decorate one day) the P7 overall reflection is very glarry (if that makes sense), where-as the MC-E lights it up clearly, without any hint of glare.
    Not sure why that should be, oh and though the MC-E has a bigger reflector, the actual output ‘ring’ is the same size as the P7.

Will try them tonight in the dark (unfortunately not riding) and see how they perform at a distance – not sure when I’ll post next though – if anyone is intersted that is…

I apologise in advance for any slate-ing I get for using the wrong terminology
    😀

Bugger, where the preview button? (Wow an EDIT button)

GW
    Free Member

So, have I got this right?
    You bought a cheap light and found it incredibly bright and easy to use…
    But even so you thought you’d order a different one aswell and now it’s arrived you can’t wait til it’s dark so post up a pointless review based on the patern from the wallpaper under your stairs but want comparisons from other folk who’ve bought exactly the same two lights as you?

😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

this is the kind of thing that has been missing from my life for the last few days thank god it is all back , banter, torches, banter , torches

WHY HAS NO ONE LISTED A THOMSON SETAPOST FOR SALE

z1ppy

yes GW I bought a couple of cheap torches… which perform way better than all the HID lights I’ve come across (Lupine/Hope/Lumi), but yes I couldn’t wait to play with my new toy – hense the daft review – did it really come across as that serious to you?
    All I’m trying to do, is keeping in the spirit of the P7 review on MTB-Britain and see whether the next supposed ‘big’ LED of the moment is worth the extra cash over it’s predecessor.

but want comparisons from other folk who’ve bought exactly the same two lights as you?
    Eh? Where did I say that?

Think maybe the point of the forum is lost on you though…were here to talk rubbish and discuss stuff (normally) related to MTB-ing, were not exactly to discuss brain surgery are we?

z1ppy

Another highly scientific test in the back garden @ around 12 meters onto a wooden fence.
    The P7 has a better Low and Mid output IMO (due to the switch?) but the High beam of the MC-E is significantly better.
    Throwing out an inner spot aproximately just under a 1/3 bigger than the P7 (which is aprox a 2 meter circle) @ this distance, with a better ‘cleaner’ light (How else to describe it?), it makes the brilliant P7 look poxy.
    I was playing with the MC-E than the P7, but the torch seemed to warm-up quite quickly – so I don’t know if this will be an issue.
    Obviously burn times would be useful to know…

Anyone know if I could change the switches between them (assuming they are the same size/thread) with impunity?

GW
    Free Member

So in answer to my original question, “No I’ve got it a bit wrong”
    fair enough, then !
    8)

FWIW I Have the 5 mode MTE P7 too – can’t see why I’d ever want more light, especially considering the condition my wallpaper’s in 😉

z1ppy

🙄

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘P7 vs.Cree MC-E Flashlights’ is closed to new replies.