Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PACE RC40 – Travel disappearing.
  • Mackem

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and easily fixed it.

I set my forks travel to 130mm. After half an hour of riding I need to re-turn the adjuster dial back round to 130mm as the travel has reduced to 100mm.

Cheers

Mackem

a wee bump for the evening crowd. Anyone know owt?

tandemwarriors

Mmmmm, not happened to mine.
    Just a thought, when you turn the dial can you hear/feel the clicks of the ball bearing detent? If that has stuck it might be possible for the coil spring helix to rotate the travel adjuster, thus reducing the travel?

windydave13
    Free Member

i had that exact problem with mine last year. When i first got them i had a similar problem and sent them back to pace for some warranty work. They seemed peachy for about 4 years but it got steadily worse last year.
    From what i could see some of the loss of travel was due to wear on the gold travel dial. If you take it off you will see some small ball bearing that slot into corresponding holes. The wear meant that there was very little friction between the bearings and dial. Well that was the only thing i could see without stripping them down.
    In the end I dropped them in for a service to get this looked at and with no service in 4 years they were desperate for a bit of tlc.
    Also as i'd added a few extra pounds i wanted a stiffer spring upgrade at the same time.
    North west mountain bike centre shipped them off to PACE for the above work but in the end as it happens PACE diagnosed that the stanchions had de-bonded from the crown so i ended up having to have new stanchions and stearer fitted that came with an uprated travel adjuster and rebound. Not a cheap solution, but it's fixed the travel issue and 6 months on they are still spot on.

Hope it helps

PJM1974
    Free Member

It happened to mine, occasionally accompanied by a "Zzzzip!" noise as they fell through their travel. I too noticed movement in the gold dial, but not enough to explain the discrepancy.

They went back to Pace twice before I gave up and bought Pikes.

A great shame, the damping abilities of my RC40s were leagues ahead of the Pike.

takisawa2

Mine do this when the lock-out thing is partially pulled out.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mine have started doing this too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PACE RC40 – Travel disappearing.’ is closed to new replies.