Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Patella Tendinitis – Anyone Else Suffer?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Been diagnosed with this recently and after treatment and a rest of about 8 days or so, it flared up again yesterday. Been told I can bike on the flat and debating whether to get out today. Wondered if anyone else sufffers from this and whether they have any tips for managing this and/or recovery?
    cheers

zokes
    Free Member

I have had this on and off for a couple of years now, and I’m afraid other than a lot of rest and not riding much (or walking up steep hills), I found nothing that quelled the pain. Not riding for 6 months seemed to completely get rid of it (for the time being)…

Lionheart
    Free Member

Had it on and off for twenty years! I am not a Doc, was a military para medic, but have a few books on it, seen quite a few people about and had two ops. These are my thoughts on it:
    It can come about for different reasons,
    1. most commonly from kneeling (often then call house maid’s knee, carpet layers real suffer),
    2. or over use
    3. from an over powerful push off (usually called jumpers’s knee)
    It is a massive tendon, one of the strongest in the body – counters the quads.
    It takes different formats, becomes inflamed, tears in the tendon, tears in the join to bone (in extreme cases can come off ‘rupture’), the tendon and tendon sheath attempting to join etc. Really helps to know which damage you are dealing with.
    To help it. All the usual stuff, ice, rest, massage it, anti-inflammatories, special stretches, more extreme have a steroid injection or a minor op.
    When mine gets bad some physio treatment is effective, ultrasound and massage. Some people find wearing a patella tendon band useful.
    When its playing up running uphill and my Single Speed on hills effect it the most. Gears, more spinning and flat runs are usually ok even when it isn’t.
    Have a good look around the net and consider a physio.

hitman
    Free Member

Cheers, some very useful info there. Not sure how mine came on but have had aboutr 3/4 bouts of it now and its becoming a concern. Aggravated yesterday by walking up and down stairs. Going to try a flat run this afternoon and see how it goes. Already had physio – rest and exercises to strengthen the quadriceps were prescribed. Surprisingly told that flat running was also ok. Also considering some sort of support, so would be interested to hear what others use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a cup that holds my patella in place when running – it is just a strap that runs under it.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Yep been there and got the tee shirt.I carried on riding when i had it and i noticed that you can actually ride through the pain, and it disappears.
    It also lasted for about 2 months but i was still cycling about 100 miles a week then.
    What really helped also was to raise my seat post so that the legs are fully extended on the bottom of the pedal stroke.
    That is on a road bike.

hitman
    Free Member

What really helped also was to raise my seat post so that the legs are fully extended on the bottom of the pedal stroke.

that’s interesting, because when I first had problems I was advised to lower the seatpost slightly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Patella Tendinitis – Anyone Else Suffer?’ is closed to new replies.