Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • peak dist. riders – is this mbr route ok?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Friend and I are thinking of heading up to the Peak district this weekend, is this a good route?

(apologies for mspaint skillz!)

it's from the August '05 issue of MBR mag.

We're both experienced riders but Peak District virgins 🙂

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

looks ok to me – its similar to the rides i do, the only thing i'd maybe suggest is staying on the tops and dropping down to the side of the resevoir instead of going via aston & thornhill which is on a (quiet) road.

saying that – the DH from the tops down to aston is pretty good.

jimmy

from what I can make out, if you're going 1 – 6, I'd do it in reverse. Then its a belter. Also, there's a cheeky option from 6 – 5, but I couldn't possibly give details (that are on maps…). And the given option ain't a bad one anyway so no encouragement from me 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

great ride although I prefer it in the other direction.

Park in the free car park at A and do it in reverse, (over Dam and up win hill) 3 hills 3 downs allow an hour (or more) for each, and have a brew at Fairhomes half way round. Hope you've got an OS map so you don't miss any turns.

jimmy

yeah what he said! ^^^^^^

Pook

aye you'll love that, but i'd do it backwards as has been said here.

retro83
    Free Member

much appreciated guys(/gals?), will put that to my MBR loving chum …

Pook

Ah, put this to him as well. The easy route in the last issue is bobbins. Baslow Edge.

jackthedog
    Free Member

+1 for good route if done in reverse.

Brown
    Free Member

Other way around, without a doubt.

You could also turn R at the crossroads by '3' and then go over the A57 at the bottom and try and clean Hagg Farm as a climb – although what you've planned would be almost as good.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Who'd have thought, MBR in route wrong way round shocker 🙂

Tracey

Other way round is better, we would normally go from 5 up the Derwent Valley to the carpark after the memorial, up the bridleway on to the top, then down Hagg farm across the A57 and up the beast

Tracey

crazy-legs

Yep, nice route but (shock horror!) wrong way round. Do it clockwise.
    I'd also park at the point on that map marked A rather than at Fairholmes VC.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

>IanMunro – Member
    >Who'd have thought, MBR in route wrong way round shocker

yeah, isnt that what theyre most famous for?!

ahwiles
    Free Member

all you dissenters be quiet, that's definitely the best way round to ride it.

i challenge anyone to ride 1-6 with no dabs, and with no friends sent ahead to open gates…

Anyway, yes, that's a good route.

(which ever way round you ride it)

p.s. the peaks are riding nice at the moment, the rain seems to be bouncing off them. and watch out for 'The Ducks' at fairholmes, evil ba5tard5 they be.

you will of course need either 160mm of travel front and back, or a fully-rigid fixie.

porterclough
    Free Member

It's the wrong way, but otherwise excellent…

retro83
    Free Member

cheers all, that was great!

(me riding what I think is aptly titled 'the beast' – I crapped my pants on the lower section!)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

looks like you need a quarter turn more compression damping.
    Happy to help.

😉

snowpaul
    Free Member

decent route – def agree that you should do it t'other way round… mbr always do this…

paul

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘peak dist. riders – is this mbr route ok?’ is closed to new replies.