Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • People buying on Classified then selling on for more!
  • nickegg
    Free Member

Just saw this ad:

null

and thought “I recognise that username and i had some forks like that” and they are indeed my forks, only now the lock-out doesn’t work at all (i sold them with an intermitent lock-out for £90).

Isn’t this kind of thing frowned upon?

psychle
    Free Member

I personally don’t see a problem… all parties were/are happy with the prices they paid (or were paid), so what’s the big deal? I’ll usually ask for more than I expect to get to allow for some haggling, if someone takes the item at my asking price then that’s a bonus 🙂 I’m guessing that’s all that’s happened here, it’s only a £20 difference (a bit of postage in there as well I’d guess…)

toys19
    Free Member

Thats life!

hora
    Free Member

The buyer looked at them and put a different value to them than you?

I’ve seen alot of stuff on here thats vastly overpriced and vice versa.

Hes not making anything out of a potential sale is he?

Skyliner
    Free Member

Ow wow wee!! After somone knocks a cheeky tenner off and a tenner postage arent we talking about nothing???

BAD TASTE nickegg for posting on his FS add after a buyer has shown an interest. Get over it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Time to come clean. I’ve done it, and I see no problem with it. Forks advertised at a certain price, I paid full asking price and went to collect them. I serviced them, banged them on eBay and doubled my money. I did the same with some other stuff I bought elsewhere, then bought some Lyriks with those proceeds which ended up costing me £30.
    Everyone got the money they were asking for, others got good forks, freshly serviced at a fair price.
    I did the work, I didn’t barter, I made a profit. I didn’t resell on here purely becasue eBay gets a better price. It’s business to me, that’s all, and I don’t rip anyone off so there’s no problem as far as I can see. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I sell for what I bought for.

(unless it was new)- my old Blur4x went for a £100 loss after 1yrs use…. 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What exactly is your point caller?

You don’t like a free market?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

This isn’t a good example but this classifieds is littered with pseudo traders and folk selling stuff for vastly inflated prices.
    as well as all the OT junk that people are trying to sell

hora
    Free Member

Steve- Oh yes and that well known trader has contacted me with his wares to sell (overpriced).

LHS
    Free Member

You sold them for a price you wanted. Now nothing to do with you.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t touch those with a bargepole myself from either seller 😉

hora
    Free Member

You sold them for a price you wanted. Now nothing to do with you

This all the way. You’ve got sour grapes because someone needs the money less than you/they are worth more than you sold them for.

Look at his post history, he’s a dealer.
    Did you really think he was buying them because he wanted to ride them and not because he wanted to sell them on for a profit?

BenjiM

The ‘spirit’ of our forum is one where users can turn their old, surplus or unwanted kit into extra cash to enable them to buy new bits to help them get out and continue riding. The Classified Forum is not a place where users can trade parts bought elsewhere and then sold at a profit. If we suspect that a user is exploiting our forum to earn additional income or solely for the purposes of making a profit then we are very likely to consider that as ‘Trade’ activity and we’ll ask you to stop. We will look at each instance reported to us or spotted by us on a case by case basis and then we will act at our discretion.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Fist of all a huge thanks to all the above for their supportive comments.

nickegg yep your right I have changed the description … to make it more honest, the lockout doesn’t work at all and never did.

neninja – you have a good point … its never been a concious descision .. just selling stuff takes a number of days to receive payment, then post etc and ‘contributing to STW’ doesn’t always pop back into my head … but you are right and I will rectify this tonight.

nickegg – Forks have sold for £105 … after postage that could leave me with a whole £3 profit …….. think I’ll retire!!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’m with the OP, he may have taken a hit to sell these, OR sold for less to do someone a favour. Or been haggled down.

Anyone remember the bloke who begged for free stuff as he was a student and then sold it on EBAY?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

To be blunt, at the point he sold them on, they were no longer yours. Bit like used car dealers really, always sell you part ex for way more than they paid you.
    Perhaps the seller has finally broken the intermittent lockout, hopefully the new buyer will get it sorted and enjoy the forks.

If such shenanigans didn’t take place in the classifieds, it would just be taken over by shifty faced Alan Sugar wannabees.

hora
    Free Member

I bought a frame (new) from here. Used it then sold it for the same price I got it for. Whats wrong with that? Should I have given it away and had someone to birch me at the sametime?

flyingmonkeycorps

I once got given a frame then later sold it for £180. I had changed the bearings, but then I rode it for a year. In fairness though, I did actually try to give it away but no one wanted it, I needed rid of it so I stuck it on eBay.

That wasn’t on here though.

chakaping
    Free Member

While everyone is technically right taht it’s NOYB once sold, it’s still a bit rum I think.

Some of us obviously just have a little more personal integrity than others.

*gees up high horse and canters off*

wwaswas

If it were me I’d probably say ‘bought off here but I’m never going to fix/use them’ the way the ad’s worded sounds liek the OP was the owner when the problem occured.

There’s always people who will buy stuff and sell it on (I do, although rarely for a profit) after little/no use. It’s a bit galling when it’s your stuff it’s happening with, particularly if you priced it ‘low’ for stw but it’s not worth getting too exercised over.

…sold for less to do someone a favour…

Isn’t that the point though ?
    Selling something cheap to a mate to help him out, then finding out he’d sold it on to make a profit is one thing.
    Selling something to someone with a post history like this, then finding out he hasn’t actually bolted it on to his bike and ridden it is only to be expected.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d agree with the OP’s stance on this issue on the whole, selling on for profit is bad man.

But I dont see what his problem is with this particular chap.

Its £20 for **** sake, **** all basically. Not worth the hassle of sorting payments, putting up an ad, posting them, making sure they arrive ok etc. etc.

He must be very desparate for £20, or the chances are he got them, tried them and then realised they didnt work as he wanted so sold them and just wanted to cover his postage costs.

veedubba

I very rarely (these days) post anywhere other than the classifieds because my home circumstances have changed and I don’t have the time any more. I used to post a lot on the old forum, and I’m a subscriber, so does that make it okay or not okay?

I also tend to put stuff on here first before I have to go through the hassle of Ebay. I agree with the posters who’ve said they buy, use then sell, sometimes for a bit more, sometimes the same, sometimes less. All depends on what you’re selling, what time of year, who’s watching etc as to what price you get. There’s nothing wrong with buying something with the intention to use it then plans changing, or using it for a while then reselling.

Some people do need to get a little bit of perspective I think.

(note to self, don’t post OT stuff on forum so much…)

stevede
    Free Member

I sold an orange sub5 frame on here last summer for a fairly low price, pretty much what i paid for it in the first place, could have got more for it but i wanted a quick sale and only needed enough for a 2nd hand hardtail frame, got asking price within 5 mins of posting the ad and was happy. Saw the frame on ebay a few days later for about a third more, was surprised but in no way bothered as i got what i wanted for it.
    I think traders who specifically buy to sell take away from people who need/want items for themselves which isn’t in the spirit of the classifieds or the forum but if your just doing it every now and again to keep your bike fund alive then fair enough.

What i was less happy with was when i traded my daughters specialized hotwalk in at the shop i bought it from to buy a hotrock, the following week i went back in to see it back on the shelf at full price as though it was brand new – it wasn’t used a great deal as my daughter was ill the whole year we owned it but i think its a bit cheeky to sell as new when it isn’t. I knew it was hers as it had a distinctive bit of oil on one of the decals which i couldn’t get off.

nickegg
    Free Member

Wow, i go for a nice ride in the Black Mountains and come back to 28 responses to my thread.

There’s certainly a mixed bag of opinion on this. For the record, money isn’t the issue here at all. The advert in question makes it look like the forks might have been new to the seller when in fact they’re third hand and now no longer work as well as when i sold them. Also, Sleigh62, the lock-out did work after i serviced them.

I never seem to quite judge the mood of this forum correctly at times. Must be because i don’t spend enough time here 😉

ton

i think people who buy on classifieds then sell on at a profit are wanker5.

if i ever saw someone i had sold to do this, i would not sell to them again.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i’m with ton but i appreciate it’s another thing in the world i dont like but everyone else is happy enough about/apathetic about

rob2
    Free Member

Can we all hug 🙂

MS
    Free Member

I don’t see a problem. He paid £90 for them, so to get his money back hes gonna need to sell them for £100. So advertising at £110 lets the buyer have a bit of negotiation!

The OP is out of line for posting on his thread saying what he paid for them. The guy isn’t trying to make a profit just merely not making a loss. He is trying not to be out of pocket. I would do exactly the same.

You are just moaning cos he is going to make more money than you!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If the OP had issues and wanted to keep to the “community” ethos then a 2 second check of Sleigh’s posting history would have put him off (no disrepect to sleigh, he might save fluffy kittens from certain death for all I know).

The difference between second and third hand is for the potential buyer to discern (lack of usage/service/maintenance history) and put a value on, which is why I wouldnt buy from some of the obvious traders/breakers/churners, some of whom have a number in their username.

If this happened to me it’d be a shrug and a hohum, maybe I could have hung on for an exta tenner. Ive seen stuff on here that’s been given away price-wise and I could have bought and sold at a tidy profit but I dont have the time or inclination to do so (including bikes which could be broken for a decent mark-up, as the aforementioned breakers do). Fair play to others that do (like PP’s fork story, he put the hours in and reaped the rewards for his efforts). As many others have said, the OP must have been happy with what he was paid for the forks, so what interest does he have in what happens to them?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I’ve done it (on STW) either once or twice. And probably a dozen times with other stuff elsewhere. Ice made profit in a car and a motorbike, for example. If that makes me one of those, then so be it. At least I’m not a mug giving stuff away so someone else can do it. Not all of us on here can afford the latest kit at the drop of a hat you know. Some if us watch every penny to keep our bikes running, look after them, and need top dollar when we sell to afford the next one. Anyone can turn over a lot of kit and sell it on cheap. It takes a bit of savvy to do it my way. (full drivetrain: 3 rings, chain, cassette, rear hub and rear mech fir £45? Anyone care to beat that?)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I’ve done it (on STW) either once or twice. And more times than I can remember with other stuff elsewhere. I’ve made profit in a car and a motorbike, for example. If that makes me one of those, then so be it. At least I’m not a mug giving stuff away so someone else can do it. Not all of us on here can afford the latest kit at the drop of a hat you know. Some if us watch every penny to keep our bikes running, look after them, and need top dollar when we sell to afford the next one. Anyone can turn over a lot of kit and sell it on cheap. It takes a bit of savvy to do it my way.
    (full drivetrain: 3 rings, chain, cassette, rear hub and rear mech fir £45? Anyone care to beat that?)

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Having had it done to me it’s a pretty cr4ppy thing to do in my opinion- I usually price stuff for sale at a fair price on the basis that it may help someone out (and clears out my garage)- if that makes me a mug so be it- better than a profiteer-although the example above isnt that extreme tbh

scu98rkr
    Free Member

This is not a good example. As already mentioned the a buyer will probably offer £5-£10 less plus there is £10 postage. The seller has just changed their mind and is trying to recoup their £90.

loddrik
    Free Member

Free Market, if you’re not happy with a potential mark up in price, dont buy them. Simple.

I’d have happily bought them for £110.

What I’d like to see more of is people giving stuff away rather than asking for say, £3 for a brake adaptor….

to be honest, its free world you place a value on them and flog them on they’re bike parts not puppies. If you felt like that you should conduct interviews with potential buyers to ensure that they go to a good home!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems there are 2 “extremes” of types of stw classifieds buyers/sellers:

1. Those who see others as mates, price stuff accordinlgy and perhaps feel a bit self righteous about it.

2. Those who see it as a market.

Type 2 will always exist, so maybe type 1 should re adjust their thinking or not whine about it.

In this example a slightly higher price shouldn’t even agrieve the OP IMO as it allows the seller to get knocked down. You make small losses and gains all the rime and it evens out.

As for whether the intent of an original transaction should affect the item for the rest of its life, I guess the reality is this is a semi-public forum and not a club in a pub or whatever – folk should accept that, investigate and judge buyers accordingly and get on with it…or stop whining!..though the whining is often quite amusing.

Xylene
    Free Member

A pathetic thread indeed.

Even more pathetic is the response on the actual for sale thread from the OP.

How large is the moral horse’s stable hear at STW?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘People buying on Classified then selling on for more!’ is closed to new replies.