Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pics from me summer hols…..
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Here's a few (a lot) pics from our summer tour in Scotland

It was a cracking fortnight only slightly marred by abandoning wild camping on Ulva due to a force 7 gale and heavy rain.

I'm glad i weighed the bike AFTER i got back, i think just ubnder 90lbs would have put me off even starting. We rode form the front door and took trains, not a single car for 2 weeks, which was nice.

thanks to those who gave advice, the route was great with some real unknown beauties. I particularly liked the way that on most days we could see our next destination in the distance, kept a really nice perspective on the ride.

clicky on the picy:

snakester
    Free Member

looks amazing, awesome set of pics!! would love to do something like this myself….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, give it a try.

Just take less stuff than we did 😆

b17
    Free Member

great pics, really nice

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, i want to be back there now. We considered just carrying on and not bothering coming home 🙁

Richyb
    Free Member

Beautiful pics

ononeorange

It doesn't look like you enjoyed the distilleries….!!

Excellent pics. I want to be there NOW!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sadly we passed most of the distilleries on a Sunday. we bough miniatures of every one we visited though form the whisky store in Bowmore

stratobiker
    Free Member

What a fabulous trip. Superb pictures.
    SB

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

pault41
    Free Member

Well what can follow a fantastic memory of a trip , trully inspiring !

Thats it next spring thats where i will be going again , not been up to western highlands for 9 years so trip well overdue.
    🙂 😀

Hal
    Free Member

You dont always get weather like that, did you pay extra for the weather to be that good? 8)

Bunnyhop

Wow!

tootallpaul

Projector? 😯

simonralli2
    Free Member

Some really great pics there.

I have the book "Mountain Bike Scotland – The Highlands". Do you have that and are there any routes in it you would recommend? Or did you use any other books in terms of deciding where to ride? I could well have a few days up there in September and need as many tips as possible as to where to ride. Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Simon – that's the Kenny (Bl&&dy) Wilson book and is probably the best there is. You do need to be able to read a map and be pretty self-sufficient as he doesn't spoon-feed you like some guide books do.

The Richard Moore/Andy McAndlish Bike Scotland Trails Guide also has a few ideas.

Oh – and lets us know when you're up this way.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Druid

Cheers – where abouts are you based? I am a bit worried about asking to meet up with people for a ride, as I need to spend a couple of weeks back on my bike, and a typical ride for me is maybe 15 – 20 miles, as opposed to a Bog Trotters style epic day out. I am not that fast a rider too, so would'nt want people to be cheesed off if they were to join me. Would be great to maybe meet up with a few locals though as yeah, am not experienced in map reading.

Time wise will be up middle of September I think.

Oh and I will be planning a STW ride at Kirroughtree 26th September and Mabie/Dalbeattie on 27th, but was thinking I will post an "are you interested" thread on Tuesday as people may be away this weekend and Monday riding etc.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Great shots of what looks a great trip…..
    am I the only one to wonder quite how (had you gone to one more) MrsMW would have illustrated the fact you'd hit distillery #13……… 😀

tommytowtruck

Fantastic pictures – it took me most of the day to look through them all! Looks like a great trip.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

so, so great.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks for all the positive comments.

we didn't pay extra for the weather, but i didn't take any pictures on the really wet days. We've just paid pennants though by spending a very very wet weekend in the Lakes.

As for distillery number 13, i'm not sure how that would have gone!

Simon – no mountain biking books involved, just plenty of time with tracklogs and geograph for the off road bits.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member

Projector?

😆

It's a standing joke form another forum, i get accused of spending my life doing powerpoint because of my job

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

pault41

Thats it next spring thats where i will be going again , not been up to western highlands for 9 years so trip well overdue.

bit further north but this was our springtime trip to scotland, which we went on despite a terrible forecast and were rewarded with great weather.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pics from me summer hols…..’ is closed to new replies.