Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike service – not getting full travel
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I recently serviced my coil Pikes (454s, 2007 I think) which went well (I thought) and initially they were plush and fine. But since then the forks will eventually run out of travel around the 95mm mark on the stantions.

It's not a mechanical lockout but I suspect that it's oil related. I put 120ml of 5wt in the non-coil upper (which I'm fairly sure is the correct amount) and 15ml of 15wt in each lower.

My thinking now is that either some of the oil from the lower leg (15ml of 15wt) is getting up into the damper section OR some of the 120ml of 5wt is leaking into lower leg. This causes the fork to lockout and not achieve full travle.

Any suggestions or links would be very handy. I don't really want to send them away as it's not my style but I suspect something is up with them internally, as I've followed the instructions to the letter.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ps this is all with the lockout switched off!

ferrit
    Free Member

Think you only have to put in 15ml in lowers – never heard of putting more in the upper section.

Service vid here – same as Boxxers:

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/how-to-maintain-your-boxxer-forks.html

LoCo
    Free Member

Did you change all the seals? It is either too much oil in the damper/Moco side. Either not all drained out when serviced or the seal between the damper and lower leg oil chambers is leaking as you said.

edit: and 120ml is correct in the damper upper leg.

ferrit
    Free Member

Sorry, just decoded this – a common fault with Pikes is the damping cartridge leaks into the lower chamber and reduces travel – sounds like the problem you described.

Ignore my non-helpful previous post!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just spoken to TFT and I think we're sorted on the problem now, and it is as you suggest.

Oil from the damper section (upper chamber) leaks into the lower leg. This causes hydraulic lock and you end up with hardly any travel. Glad to hear that it wasn't my servicing at fault! Seals need replacing, basically.

seanodav
    Free Member

can buy the seals off LoCo who posted above

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I think LoCo is you man for seals, but remember it's only 2 standard O rings to fix it…. 50p worth! And there's plenty of places you can get them from!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

thanks

loco ygm

magowen100
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but I have the same problem with a Reba race and just after the cheapest way to get it sorted. The lockout still works but I only get 80mm travel (should be 100) is it just a case of replacing the o-rings or the seals as well?
    Cheers
    Matt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pike service – not getting full travel’ is closed to new replies.