Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Please help create a 'new' bridleway
  • Max
    Free Member

Deadline 13th May 2010
    Please download, print out, fill in, and then post the linked form to:
    Rights of Way Team, Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA11 7RL

Why? Read on

You may or may not know that part of the legendary Borrowdale Bash mountain bike route is currently designated as a footpath. The footpath is part of the 'Catbells Bridleway'. The 190m long footpath section of the 'Catbells Bridleway' starts at the public road at Manesty, continues through the gate and ends at a point where the footpath meets the parish boundary. After this point the track is designated as a bridleway.

This designation appears to be a historical anomaly. One parish designated the track a footpath, the other parish designated the same track a bridleway. In October 2008 the Lake District National Park Authority made a Modification Order to amend the status of the short section of footpath to a bridleway. A single objection was received and the Inspectors decision was not to go ahead with the Modification Order.

So, the LDNPA wanted the footpath upgraded to bridleway – and they had a strong case – but a single objection got in the way. This means that cycle usage of the footpath will continue to be trespass against the landowners.

Now the LDNPA are trying a different method. They are trying for a 'Creation Order' for a bridleway over the footpath, and they need all the help that they can get. Given that their previous reasonable request was turned down following a single objection, they need as much evidence as possible to prove that:

1. there is a need for the path to be a bridleway

2. it will be more convenient and enjoyable for most of the people living locally and other members of the public for the section to be a bridleway

For this to happen it is important that as many people as possible download, print out, fill in and then post the linked form to: Rights of Way Team, Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA11 7RL. The deadline for the LDNPA to receive the form is is 13th May 2010.

Thanks,

Max

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime crowd.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've circulated the Bog Trotters with this 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is the gate on the FP or at the end of it ?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I thought the gate was maybe the 'border' between the footpath and the bridleway. There's a footpath comes in from Grange that follows the fence line and meets the gate. However, looking at this online OS map…

…it's a footpath all the way to the split in the track.

What do you reckon Max ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

update: looking on the aerial photos, the gate appears to be just above the bend, which puts it half way along the FP section

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers Simon

Max
    Free Member

Cheers medears

The gate is on the footpath. The bridleway/footpath junction is between the gate and the bridleway split above

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I posted mine at lunchtime 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

Downloaded, I'll do it tonight.

Minor grumble to the OP: a more specific thread title mentioning the location would have been a good idea, I very nearly ignored it…

Max
    Free Member

Thanks. Alternative location-specific thread just created, linking to this one

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

One of the lads brought a sheaf of the forms to the ride on Wednesday so 10 were filled in 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Please help create a 'new' bridleway’ is closed to new replies.