Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Police apathy or apathy towards the police ?
  • enfht
    Free Member

When in my car this morning I saw a “yoof” on a spesh hardtail which looked too high spec for it to belong to him. I followed him for a bit and I think once he realised he had someone on his tail he took a couple of pointless detours. It then dawned on me what was the point of following him? If I’d rung 999 the Police would not have “raced to the scene” so I decided to leave him to it and got on with my day. I’ve rung the police too many times with genuine reason only for them to either do too little or nothing at all. In their defence they’re up to their eyeballs, I live in north London after all. But from past experience I truley believe they wouldn’t respond how I think they should, and the little fecker would have still got away on his nicked bike. I know some old bill read STW so I’d welcome their opinions, personal or professional..

Drac

Are you always this good at judging a character and peoples finanaces?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Meanwhile, on another forum.

‘ I was riding around minding my own business on my bike that I worked hard for and some fcker started following me. I made a few random turns and he kept following me. Should I have called the police? Would they have responded straight away if I had?

enfht
    Free Member

Fair comment, the pointless detour doesnt add up though. But OK, lets assume it WAS nicked, I think my question still stands.

Drac

But OK, lets assume it WAS nicked, I think my question still stands.

Hmmm! What you going to do ring ‘999’ and say “I’m in pursuit of a 07 black Rockhopper heading west towards the park, he’s made a detour and now is heading North towards the cemetary. ALERT ALL UNITS!!!”

As for the detour, I take it you knew his destination then?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

what were you going to report?

Why do you think it’s stolen sir?
    Well, he looked a bit dodgy

It was probably Fredbra!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i must look reet dodgy when i choose to ride my merida to work …. high speced bike young guy who looks like he cant afford such a nice bike.

ill keep a look out for dodgy looking fellas following me

enfht
    Free Member

“Pointless” detours that made his route longer. The police routinely stop kids on bikes around here that look “too expensive” so whats the difference? I guess you guys think that nobody should raise these questions and should rather leave it to the experts eh? I should have factored in public apathy.

Drac

“Pointless” detours that made his route longe

Explain pointless?

enfht
    Free Member

I think I did drac, maybe look it up in a dictionary?

grumm
    Free Member

I saw a big gang of kids smash my car window outside my house in Leeds once. When I went outside they ran off, but I rang the police, gave them a description – the one who smashed it was carrying a big yellow car crook lock thing!

The police said they would send someone round, so I waited in for a while. Saw a police car pull up outside, then drive off again. When I went out, they had put a note through the smashed window of my car, saying ‘I’m sorry, we called but you were out’.

Lazy feckers couldn’t even be arsed getting out of the car!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Why don’t you volunteer as a Special then and go chasing?
    I often make ‘pointless detours’ when I’m out for a casual ‘ not going anywhere inparticular’ ride.

zaskar
    Free Member

Report it to the Police -is the best you can do without getting yourself into trouble.

Projection enfht? Assuming get’s you into trouble.

Oh and lets stop every Black guy in a nice car because it’s obviously stolen…

If you had grounds, take a picture on your mobile and report it to the copshop.

enfht
    Free Member

Cheesyman if I didnt enjoy the occasional spliff I probably would, other people I know have and have recommended it.

Drac

I think I did drac, maybe look it up in a dictionary?

No. Your definition of a pointless detour not the English definition.

enfht
    Free Member

Oh and lets stop every Black guy in a nice car because it’s obviously stolen.

Thanks Zaskar I was waiting for an opinion from a real copper!!! 😆

enfht
    Free Member

No. Your definition of a pointless detour not the English definition

Thats ripe coming from a Transalvanian..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My train is nearly at the station. When I get off I shall hang a sign with my address on it so everyone knows where I am going and check I don’t make any detours. I shall also wrap a copy of the receipt from when I purchased the bike to ensure there is no doubt that I do indeed own it. Seeing as I have the Bromton today, I shall change out of my casual clothes into formal office attire, just in case I look a bit dodgy

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh hang on, we’ll stop mopping up the paperwork from Friday nights assaults, muggings, rape, burglaries and robberies and pursue some random lad that may or may not be on a stolen bike.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I got stopped by the police once on my bike when i was 14/15, they asked me the name of my bike without looking down at it lol

Drac

, they asked me the name of my bike without looking down at it lol

“George!”

enfht
    Free Member

Well done apex, finally a (potentially) legitimate reason why the Police could appear to not take it seriously and do nothing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Right, made it home without being followed / arrested, etc.

I think you’ll find that myself & Drac are both saying pretty much the same thing, which is pretty much what apex said.

What you are sayig is that you think someone might be a bit dodgy and may be riding a nicked bike. this is a personal opioion that you have formed by yourself. Unless you either definately know the bike is stolen or are witnessig some form of crime it’s highly unlikely that any police force is going to come rushing round to have a look.

I also think you’ll find that we are essentially saying this, but in a light hearted forum banter kind of way.

Yes, the bike may be nicked, but what can you really do about it without any proof?

enfht
    Free Member

OK that makes sense, so with hindsight it’s lucky I didnt run him down and stove his head in. I still think it was nicked though. Thank you and good night 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

“Oh hang on, we’ll stop mopping up the paperwork from Friday nights assaults, muggings, rape, burglaries and robberies and pursue some random lad that may or may not be on a stolen bike.”

What’s the point of doing paperwork when you never try to catch anyone.

Drac

retro83
    Free Member

You should have yelled “OI THATS MY FARKEN BIKE SON” and see if he legged it 😈

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

You should have yelled “OI THATS MY FARKEN BIKE SON” and see if he legged it

At which he would shout PAEDO
    “guess who will be in the cells longest” 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

“Well done apex, finally a (potentially) legitimate reason why the Police could appear to not take it seriously and do nothing.”

1) I know this point is elusive for you but try to grasp it. THERE IS NO REASON TO STOP THE KID.

“The police can stop and search any person, vehicle, and anything in or on the vehicle for certain items. However, before they stop and search they must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they will find:

* stolen goods, or
    * drugs, or
    * an offensive weapon, or
    * any article made or adapted for use in certain offences, for example a burglary or theft, or
    * knives, or
    * items which could damage or destroy property, for example spray paint cans.”

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nm/index/your_rights/legal_system/police_powers.htm

Reasonable grounds /= “”yoof” on a spesh hardtail which looked too high spec for it to belong to him”

2) I am generally a police skeptic (as mentioned on the Glasgow thread) but anything else the cops would be doing (including have a nice cup of tea) would a better use of time when the activity you’re suggesting is actually negative.

3) I have a mental picture of you turning up at the police station with a dossier of OS maps under your arm and self-drawn photofits.

“…and then, officer, he rode down the street to the chip shop!”
    ” … ?”

enfht
    Free Member

I know this point is elusive for you but try to grasp it.

Can’t you answer the question without being so moody you flippin’ nobster? Is it raining where you are?

Cheer up

konabunny
    Free Member

you’re not going to call the police on me, are you? 😈

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Police apathy or apathy towards the police ?’ is closed to new replies.