Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Poser
  • camo16
    Free Member

Here’s the scenario:

A divine force has given you the sole right to determine which 50 animal species will survive for another 2,000 years. There’s a heavy weight on your shoulders, because all the other species will almost certainly bite the bullet.

Here’s the poser:

Is a cat on your list. And, if so, why?

GrahamS

Domestic cat? Nah. Big cat, certainly.

noteeth
    Free Member

Yes – because I’m feline generous.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Purrrfect!!

Cougar

At 50 species, the ecosystem is royally screwed so I don’t think it matters.

camo16
    Free Member

Been thinking about the species I would put in the save file first:

1. Cow
    2. Pig
    3. Sheep
    4. Goat

(meat eater, apologies)

Then, ones I just like:

5. Zebra
    6. Gemsbok
    7. Gibbon
    8. Giraffe

42 to go…

Edit: @Cougar: you’re right, I know. Just wanted to find out if anyone would keep domestic cats at the expense of other – how shall I put this? – non-evil animals.

Milkie
    Free Member

Have to agree with that!

Bee’s… I love honey!

RealMan
    Free Member

Maybe, but all the other species might only die out after 1999 years, so wouldn’t really matter to you. If I had to choose, I’d do some serious biological research into what would most likely give the most stable system. If I wasn’t allowed to do the research, I think I’d struggle to name 50 species, so I’d probably stick F. catus on there.

5. Zebra

There’s 3 different species of zebra.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i cant help but think you’re not focussing on your book writing duties with the dedication we deserve.

maxray
    Free Member

I would send spiders and wasps to the back of the queue for sure!

the 50 would all have to be edible 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

i cant help but think you’re not focussing on your book writing duties with the dedication we deserve.

Sheesh, you can’t get away with anything on here!

🙂

** Refocuses mind on man-eating sexual predator slugs that can’t pass wind **

RealMan
    Free Member

How does STW feel about E. dofleini?

mogrim

Bees and ants would be handy, but there’re millions of different bee and ant species so I’m not sure how much difference it’d make.

Basically with only 50 species you’re screwed.

camo16
    Free Member

How does STW feel about E. dofleini?

Can’t speak for anyone else on here, but I’m a sucker for large paddle-like papillae.

Cougar

there’re millions of different bee and ant species

I think for ease of argument we’re looking at the biblical idea of ‘types’ of animal.

RealMan
    Free Member

On a similar note then, what’s your favourite element? Fire, earth, water,…

Cougar

Leeloo.

mogrim

I think for ease of argument we’re looking at the biblical idea of ‘types’ of animal.

Ah. In which case “cats” gets you tigers, lions, lynxes etc., as well as the domestic model? Bargin!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I don’t think any mammals would be on he list, they aren’t hardy enough to survive the environmental changes I expect will happen in the very near future, and therefore they would be a waisted choice,

samuri
    Free Member

No cats
    No wasps
    No humans

That’s the three most evil forces removed. Pick the rest out of a hat.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Start with the ones at the bottom of the food chain and you’ll give those further up it a fighting chance, so I’d start with plankton and work up from there.

If you want to save foxes you’d better make sure there are plenty of rabbits.

globalti
    Free Member

Cats, yes because they are fun to tease and they eat mice.

Dogs because they are useful when they’re not biting runners and cyclists or pooping on the pavement.

Horses because they can do all kinds of useful stuff including being raced.

Chickens because I enjoy eating them.

julianwilson
    Free Member

‘Generation A’ by Douglas Coupland is set in very near future where bees have died out and he projects all sorts of problems with plants, flowers and veg due to pollination or lack of. So not bees then.

Not a fan of slugs, but then what would the birds eat? And who would hoover up the dog mess on the cycle path near work if the slugs didn’t? I’d have to get rid of dogs too then. 😕

More seriously there really aren’t supposed to be anyrthing like as many cows in the world as there is currently, there would be all sorts of benefits to the atmosphere and availability of farmland to produce more calories per hectare is we weren’t so keen on beef and cow’s milk products.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The domestic cat would not be in my top 10,000.

No real place in the ecosystem, precious little food value, crap everywhere and kill small birds, selfish fickle fur balls whose only useful purpose is to give advance warning to blokes that their single female owners are single for a reason…

*awaits incoming*

camo16
    Free Member

The domestic cat would not be in my top 10,000.

No real place in the ecosystem, precious little food value, crap everywhere and kill small birds, selfish fickle fur balls whose only useful purpose is to give advance warning to blokes that their single female owners are single for a reason…

*awaits incoming*

Nice work! But you haven’t mentioned the evil eyes that bore deep into your soul.

😀

turboferret

I would like to eliminate the ants from my apartment in India 🙁
    Food in plastic wrapping is no barrier as they chew through that to get to stuff they want – got into a big bag of cashews I’d only just bought yesterday 😡

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Poser’ is closed to new replies.