Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • powerbands-do they work?
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

just signed upto be the local stockist and wondered if any of the collective had used em….

we’ve had a bit of interest so far.

clubber
    Free Member

No, of course they don’t.

Snake oil for gullible muppets.

uplink
    Free Member

If you wear two at once, do the magical powers cancel each other out?

ojom
    Free Member

NOOOO! dont do it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you know that they’ve removed the word “gullible” from the latest edition of the OED?

RichS

of course they don’t.

don’t be a muppet.

powerband debunking

miketually
    Free Member

Do they work?

It’s a hologram on a plastic bracelet. Of course they don’t work.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I suppose if you’re based near Glastonbury this could be a nice little earner, and have a handy little mobile caravan so when the next generation of nuclear power stations are built you can go and sell to the protestors.

For me, nope, don’t do wristbands and couldn’t see the point of this one inparticular.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t believe the question is even being asked.

wwaswas

The problem with all these things is that if you believe they’ll make you a better rider then they will.

Even if, objectively, you’re no better than you were before you started using them.

So, as a retailer, should you be selling something that will make no discernable difference to how someone rides but make them feel better about riding anyway?

I guess if that criteria were applied to all products there’d be a lot less stock in shops but I think you need to be very careful about how you sell them and to whom – wacking a bracelet on and heading for the nearest balck run on a supermarket special is probably going to end in tears for a lot of people.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i thought a major rule of retailing was “sell what your customers want

if thats turns out to be a rare baked bean id sell it….

Mark

If you sell them I’ll respect you a whole lot less. It’s a placebo dressed up with deliberately fraudulent demonstration techniques. It isn’t based on selling to an existing belief system – it’s a marketing campaign designed to deliberately trick the customer into becoming a believer. Whether they benefit the gullible or not to sell them knowing they are nothing but a placebo for purely commercial gain is immoral.

wwaswas

I think you have to balance that against;

“Be honest about what you sell.”

though?

Andituk
    Free Member

I’ve saved money by just sticking the hologram off a disney DVD to my forehead.

Steve Peat has nothing on me now.

IanMunro
    Free Member

just signed upto be the local stockist and wondered if any of the collective had used em….

we’ve had a bit of interest so far.

That’s great news!
    You clearly have a strong customer base of retards that you should be able to foist all sorts of mindless tat that even a drunken gibbon which has only just mastered the art of using a stick to pick up ants would still instantly realise was pretty bent product.
    Let the good times roll! 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

i thought a major rule of retailing was “sell what your customers want

Tempered also with a ‘do i feel like a douche selling this or not’ mentality though.

If answer is a:: Yes, then stop immediately,
    If answer is b:: No then play on.

(hint : answer is always A)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have to agree with Grumpy Mark on this issue ( 🙂 ).

If you’re selling something, then you’re in the position to offer advice on the product if the customer asks. I can’t stand all the bullshit that surrounds marketing, and when I worked in retail I was always honest about stuff, even if it did mean the odd lost sale. I considered my integrity to be more important than my employer’s profit margins. I regularly had people thanking me for my honesty, and felt I gained more respect from others that way.

Funny; you bike shop bods are often on here moaning about customers not showing you respect and stuff, yet here’s someone seemingly willing to lie to people in order to make money. 🙄

Granted, a lot of retail is about embellishing the truth, selling myths etc, but something like this is akin to deceit, imo.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup Elfinsafety,
    If I went into a shop and saw them selling power-bands I’d assume that either the owner is an idiot, or he thinks his customers are idiots.
    Neither of which would give me much incentive to buy anything.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you wear two at once, do the magical powers cancel each other out?

Nah, it’s like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

clubber
    Free Member

If I was a shop owner and customers kept asking me for Powerbands and I kept telling them I thought they didn’t work and were just a placebo and the customers STILL wanted them, THEN I might consider selling them. Just as in the past I often sold customers much more expensive bikes, kit, etc than I reckoned they’d ever need/benefit from but told them so and they still insisted (yes, I realise it’s not quite the same but near enough to make sense to me). Otherwise, it’s just being dishonest.

wwaswas

If I stopped shopping at places that sold these I’d have to abandon CRC which seems a step too far, tbh.

My physio’s sent an email around saying they were selling them – I probably won’t use them again now.

Tiger6791

Placebo

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have recently seen one on the wrist of a race-winning employee in my local enormo-brand bike superstore.

I can’t believe he would wear one just to sell them in the shop. And he really honestly is a great and fast rider. So they must work, non? 😆

ojom
    Free Member

If they made one small enough for my dinkle i would buy one mind. AWESOME POWER HOLOGRAM MEGA DINKLE!

Andituk
    Free Member

Lots of pro riders are using them, dissapointingly.

Saw Craig Bellamy with a pink one on the other day too 🙄

hels
    Free Member

The placebo effect shouldn’t be under rated, neither should the power of thinking you are going to win (not in itself, but measured against the effect of thinking you have no chance of winning).

Many sports people are very superstitious, lucky pants and all that – surely this is the same thing ??

They don’t work because of some hocus magnet hologram rubbish, but because people think they are going to work, and it is their perception that counts.

Hence they work.

P.S thebikechain – “small enough” Really ??

clubber
    Free Member

People don’t sell lucky pants claiming that the cotton has been infused with PowerSchlurm which is proven to increase speed, concentration and power by 110% and then demonstrate this by using tricks…

philconsequence
    Free Member

I strap one of theses:

to my chest, it gives me the following:

better balance
    awesome skillz
    the ability to walk through walls
    a sense of smugness over the non-believers who obviously are too narrow minded to try it

its a bit like crystal therapy, or angel therapy, or tarot cards

retro83
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Nah, it’s like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

total protonic reversal 😯

hels
    Free Member

One of my world domination plans involves selling lucky pants.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I think Wayne Rooney wears one. They must be good!

MrSparkle

The powerband on my old RD 350 LC used to work fine!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I found that trying to extend the power band on my old B18c4 was a costly ut ultimately worthwhile venture. Not only did it offer better tractability but when I went VTEC YO! I could cause tectonic shuffling within a 35mile radius!

Mark

Clubber +1

The difference between this placebo and other placebos is that the marketing policy of the company is to deliberately trick you into believing in it with fake demonstrations of the power of the bands in the shop.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/1102-unbalancing-the-power.html

If you still sell them after reading and watching those two links then you sir are a scoundrel! So there!

clubber
    Free Member

I’d watch that last bit, Mark considering some of your advertisers…

Mark

I feel rather strongly about this actually. I know they are sold widely. I like to think that making people aware of the trickery and underhand techniques employed in selling them may make some retailers think twice about continuing to stock them.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well said Mark. I feel really disappointed at some of the big retailers selling this garbage.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In fairness though Mark, as much as deceit and dishonesty should be frowned upon; a fool and his money…?

I just wish I’d thought up something like this. I’d imagine whoever’s behind it is laughing as they watch their bank balance grow….

wwaswas

Fair play to you Mark – I was disapointed to see cycle retailers starting to sell them with no real critical assessment of them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘powerbands-do they work?’ is closed to new replies.