Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Presciption Oakley
  • oddjob
    Free Member

My Jawbones arrived yesterday from rxsport.co.uk and they are fantastic. I am looking forward to trying them on a ride when my back gets better, but so far they seem ace.

I just wanted to give props to rxsport, great service to deliver the glasses with presciption lenses to me in exactly a week from ordering online to arriving at my house in Denmark.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Rough idea of cost? Might be going down that route in the near future….

I'm disappointed with my prescription Oakleys. Fine for casual wear, running and driving, but when I rode in them at Chicksands, it made the contours of the jumps look weird/convex, which was very off putting.

I'm gonna stick to contact lenses and non-prescription Oakleys for riding/racing in.

oddjob
    Free Member

I got the transitions lenses so that I onoy need one set and the total cost was about £260 all in.

Quite a lot I know, but not insane

I don't have contacts and I can't really imagine using them. I have just started needing to wear my glasses all the time instead of just for driving and it seems really wierd to take them off for cycling when arguably I need them the most.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

No, not insane at all – about what I'd "hoped" – paid north of £300 for some Drillbit frames and lenses (the lenses were the pricey bit for my prescription, thin-ness, coating and optics). Needed a bit of a sit-down before handing over the credit card – very, very nice though now I've got them.

stanley

Oddjob, do your transitions go completely clear ?

I have some non-prescription Half Jackets with transition lenses, but they don't change colour by much.
    If I could get some that went clear, and with prescription lenses then I could stop using contacts.

Cheers

ebygomm
    Free Member

I'd love some prescription Oakleys, but unfortunately you can only get them if you have very mild eyesight problems. My eyesight isn't horrendous but my prescription is too strong to get any of the sports brands prescription sunglasses.

kevin1911

Any idea what the prescription limits are, eby?

ebygomm
    Free Member

No, I've never been able to find the limits, just know that if I put my prescription (-4.00/-4.25) into the rxsport site and then see what prescription sunglasses are available there aren't any

kevin1911

Mine seems to be ok – -2.25/-3.25 so you can't be far away.

The limit is under -4.0 (3 point something). Mine are -3.50 and I'm close to the limit.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I'm out then 🙁

Pieface

I got prescription 5's with transitions lenses for £195 from isyte.co.uk.

I think I know what Mike's saying – if you move your eye away from centre things do go a bit curvy / seasicky, but I get the same with my regular specs.

TBH i find them better than the contact lens / sunglass option as contact lenses were never that comfortable for me.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have been looking at these too and will be going for Transition lenses but there are about 5 different colours/shades of transitions. Any reccomendations on which one is best for biking in a variety of conditions?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just ordered some presciption lenses for some existing Half Jacket XLJs, £165 for clear.

Really wanted vented Jaw Bones but already had a fairly new half jacket frame.

Pieface

I went for gold transitions which give a nice shade. Better contrast than the grey / black transitions I have in my standard specs

oddjob
    Free Member

I got the blasck iridium transitions and they apparently go from 42% to 10% tansmision or something like that. They seem fairly clear and I think they'll be ok in fairly low light levels, but not for night riding or anything like that.
    I have had black persimmon transition radar and that was good when it was overcast as well, but they were not prescrition lenses (about to sell them on Ebay, but let me know if you're interested – black frame with red bits like this: link

There is a new oakley lense that is supposed to be really clear when not activated, but I cannot see that available as a prescription lense anywhere including the US

Time will tell how much I can use these as year round riding glasses…

oddjob
    Free Member

I may end up getting a set of clear lenses for the jawbones in the winter, but I'll see how I get on with them first and give my wife a chance to forget how much I have already spent on them 😈

IainGillam
    Free Member

Oakley changed their perscription parameters a few years ago as I have a set of old sunglassses with my perscription and I now can't get any more, their normal perscription glasses (i.e not sunglasses) cover a wider range and I can still get my perscription in them so if your only looking for a clear lens might be worth having a look at them.

Iain

JonBurns
    Free Member

Oooh good thread. I've been looking at prescription Oakleys myself since having a new prescription the other week.

I take transistions are a no go for night riding then? (I know probably a silly question)

I'm looking for a lens which would be good for all conditions for mountain and road riding…so may go for a clear lens and use contacts when it's sunny 8)

Isyte.com seemed to have some very good prices last week but the site is just a mess.

toons
    Free Member

I take transistions are a no go for night riding then?

Fine for me, as the lenses are clear.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

the transition lenses are fine for all riding conditions – imho they change from light to dark pretty quick .

rudedog
    Free Member

I got the transitions lenses so that I onoy need one set and the total cost was about £260 all in.

Quite a lot I know, but not insane

For me to spend that amount on a pair of glasses, I'd need to be able to wear them all the time to justify the high price.

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

I too have been looking and am about to buy some. But I am keen to get a little more info. I am trying to choose between:

a) grey transitions (no other tint) – because I think these go from very nearly clear to dark.

or

b) black iridium transitions – but I think even when not activated they will still block some light and therefore not be so versatile for damp winter weekend riding when a clear lens would be best

Although Oddjob – you said the black iridium transitions are fairly clear when it is not sunny – is that correct?

All advice and opinion really appreciated before I pay up!

Thank you all

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

bump

Hadge
    Free Member

I only need glasses for reading and basically it's only eye that's the problem. Thing is when I'm out riding and I need read something I'm knackered so I need some prescription lenses for that purpose. I'm hoping that they won't be too "weird" when riding so I'm going order some Transition ones for my XLJ frames.

oddjob
    Free Member

I wouldn't get a reading prescription in riding glasses. I use varifocals normally, but not in the riding glasses.

I wouldn't use the lenses I have (black iridium photochromatic IIRC) at night, but should be ok for overcast etc. I don't do night riding as a general rule though so it wasn't a big consideration. I suppose only time will tell how it works out in the autumn and winter.

Normal transitions would probably be a good idea, I haven't seen those as an option for Oakley, only the tinted photochromatics that start with a slight tint and then get darker, hence the new lense I mentioned somewhere above that I can't find for prescription yet.

Mikey65
    Free Member

Have some prescription half jackets which I have had for several years and used for cycling and snowboarding with no probs but have just purchased some Hilco Leader sport glasses fron Specsavers and they are superb for riding, especially off road and they are cheaper than Oakleys…they are doing BOGOF at moment and I had one pair as reactions and one pair darkened….worth a look

ColdAndWet
    Free Member

According to the optician I spoke to the Oakley transitions without a surface coat/tint are the 'grey transitions'. These are listed as an option on the few online retailers I looked at. They have a very slight grey tint (but almost none) when not activated (so I'm told…)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Presciption Oakley’ is closed to new replies.