• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pressing headset cups – both together or one at a time?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I've heard that it's best to press headset cups one at a time if you're using the block and mallet approach but I've a cheap Cyclus headset press and thought that pressing the cups together was the way to go with a headset press as the cups would be pressed parallel to each other (at least that's the way I did it for my current bike and everything's been fine).

However, I've just been watching a headset installation video on the Cane Creek website and they press the cups singly using a headset press (although they also recommend assorted cutting tools to prep the frame). What's the general view on pressing headset cups with a headset press, should I do them singley or together?

4ndyB
    Free Member

I've always done them one at a time

kaiser
    Free Member

they'll only remain parallel to each other if the headtube faces are parallel (if you have them fully seated which is the general idea).using a block and mallet is not pressing ..rather bashing!i'd personally do them one at a time.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Always done them both together but I do have a headset press…

Kahurangi

No need to rush. Do them individually as that way you'll always have a static surface you're pushing against.

thomthumb
    Free Member

one at a time makes it easier to keep an eye on them going in straight – doesn't really take much longer either.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would probably do both at same time if I had a pressing tool.
    I am rubber mallet man myself which I do one at a time.

uplink
    Free Member

There's no rush – one at a time & don't forget to put some oil on the mating surfaces

DrP

they'll only remain parallel to each other if the headtube faces are parallel

That's not really true though, is it? As long as the headtube itself is a 'true' tube, if the faces are 'off' slightly it'll look a bit unsightly, but surely the headset-headtube interface is so tight that the headtube face being slightly out wouldn't be able to 'force' the whole headset to adopt an 'off' angle within the headtube?

DrP

IA

One at a time. Easy does it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pressing headset cups – both together or one at a time?’ is closed to new replies.