Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Prophet front mech
  • seanoc
    Free Member

Does anyone know for what, if any, reason I can’t run a regular front mech on a cannondale prophet?

Thanks.

Ben_Haworth

IIRC there’s no room for the mech clamp on the seat tube (the swingarm pivot is in the way). The Prophet was designed for E-type front mechs.

seanoc
    Free Member

Just to close the topic; the Prophet will take an XTR M970 regular front mech with a standard triple chainset without compatability problems.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

can you post pix to show me please?

seanoc
    Free Member

Eh? You want me to go into my garage and take a photo of my front mech, publish the picture on the web and stick a link on here?

Bonkers.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

or

Stu_N

racing_ralph – apply 1 second of thought and the answer should be obvious.

If not, look at your Prophet, remembering these two pictures, and imagine which one would fit and which one would be underneath the swing arm.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i am thinking the bottom one but when the OP said “normal” xtr mech – normal is the usually the top pictured one – hence my question

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Forgive me for rekindling this thread, but I have more questions.

I’m running a two ring set up, the correct e-type front mech and a BB mounted Blackspire Stinger chain device. I have to run the mech flush to the BB shell and the stinger outboard of the mech, then the BB bearing. This is not ideal, the mech is too far inboard, the stinger too far outboard and I can’t reverse them due to the shape of the pressing of the mech mount.

So, I want to try a normal front mech, ideally a double specific SLX one, but will I be able to mount it far enough down the down tube or will the boss for the e-type bolt interfere?

Anybody using a normal mech and a double set up?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Anyone?

dale
    Free Member

I too would like it spelled out dont mind admitting to stupidity
    which xtr mech for tripple set up (in large letters please) slowly coz i realy am stupid and am sick of cleaning the E type
    ralph did you understand?

Doug
    Free Member

I run a top swing mech. I had to cut a bit of the size adapter to get it to fit lower down the seattube. It works well enough with a double and bash if you move the chainline out a couple of mm which is what you should be doing anyway once you ditch the big ring.

swisstony
    Free Member

Just listening in as i’ve ordered a stinger but am now worried it won’t fit.
    The reason i got one was because i run a 2.5 tyre on the back and the mech can catch on the tyre when in the granny so i thought the stinger would tighten things up a bit as well as reduce the rattle.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Here’s the lowdown on e-type front mechs from Cannondale clicky which shows that any 2005 or later mech needs to mount 1 spacer out from the bb shell. That would explain why I’ve had to bodge the cable tension and it’s still a bit rattly at the extremes (eg middle ring and largest sprocket). The stinger should mount flush to the bb and act as the spacer, but the shape of the e-type mount fouls the ‘boomerang’ of the stinger (which it wouldn’t do with a conventional bb spacer washer) so I’ve had to do it the wrong way round.

So, I’ll take a closer look at the frame, an old top swing mech and my Dremel bits tonight, then probably take the plunge and order the SLX

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks dusty thats helpful and a spacer between the bb and frame may well solve my problem, though mines a 2006 and it didn’t come with one?

seanoc
    Free Member

FFS; Read my post

XTR M970

, the bottom one in the picture is not an M970 it’s an M971 or something.

It works without any modification, bodge at all.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Top swing double specific SLX fits, arguably sits about 3mm too high, but shifts a treat. No need for Dremel.

elliot100
    Free Member

So to summarise for a *triple* setup, the only non E-type mech known to work with is a top-swing M970 XTR?

These are 80 quid plus – has anyone tried an SLX/LX/XT top-swing and found it NOT to work? Because I might give it a go otherwise…

elliot100
    Free Member

Just in case anyone looks at this thread again, I just installed a top-swing, non-E-type SLX mech for my triple ring setup, and it works fine without any modification. I thought the E-type mounting boss on the frame would be in the way, but it’s just low enough not to be an issue.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Prophet front mech’ is closed to new replies.