Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • PSA: STW Mendip Ride 2010 – Sunday 15th August
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just like last year, this will be a social ride taking in some of the nicest legal(ish) riding in the area.

I'm currently working on the route, but it will start at 9:30 (for 10:00) in the same place as last year: Burrington Combe. Details to be confirmed, but I'm planning around 30km distance and 800m ascent over a leisurely 6-6.5 hours. I'm hoping to include two half-hour stops: Lillypool (tea+cake) and The Crown (beer), to be confirmed. I'm also planning to include one of the technical trails in Rowberrow Wood.

To whet your appetite, have a look at last year's thread: Thread with Pics STW Mendip Ride – Summer 2009

I was please and scared in equal measure when 30-plus turned up last year. It turned out great because of the help I had from local riders and the trail conditions were pretty good. I hope some of you can make it this year.

Stewart

singlecrack
    Free Member

As I am local would be rude not to, so count me in 😛

elliptic
    Free Member

I'll be along, hope the weather co-operates again. Last year's ride was a great sociable day out.

Having had a sneak preview of Buzz's route plan it's looking well up to the previous standard.

A beer stop at the Crown (a very characterful place) is an extra bonus 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah! Subject to permission from the management, I believe I'm free that day. 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh! I might be able to come along again. It was ACE last year!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Aww shucks!

daved
    Free Member

I'll wack it on the callendar before the day gets allocated elsewhere. Hopefully, some more of the Shipham riders will be along …

Dave

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK well here's a draft of the route, subject to change.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh! Down Stoney Lane! 😀

EDIT: And a suspiciously straight line down from the perch. 😯 😈 wonder what that could be?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The straight down bit from The perch is a permissive BW I think? Or is there some scary trail there I should know know about??? 8)

The bit between Lillypool and Shute Shelve isn't quite legal… yet. Honestly, it won't be any bother going that way.

Candodavid
    Free Member

are 1 geared rigid big wheelers allowed???

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Um, how do I say this… I'll just say it. Its at the top of Badgers, which I thought you might be hinting at.

That said, with Winscombe Drove aswell, and the crossing from Warrens hill road that might be pushing the illegality factor a little high, if you worry about these sorts of things. 😉 😳

Edit: No tractors Harris! 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Awesome, it was top dollar last year, hopefully I'm about.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Science…will still beat you up the hills , on tractors or not 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sadly true… 🙁

Candodavid
    Free Member

only for now, if things go the way they are currently, i'll be chasing you

elliptic
    Free Member

Its at the top of …

It's the steep rocky lane that comes out at the bottom of the path round the back of the lower quarry. All permissive bridleway from Warrens through some fields… are you maybe thinking of the footpath that cuts across lower down?

nickegg
    Free Member

I was worried you might be taking 30 people over a very technical feature near Badgers for a second there Buzz.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Very technical feature near badgers?

Do enlighten us!?

elliptic
    Free Member

Psssst. Fight Club.

😉

By the way PP, can we ask your missus very nicely to make some more of those courgette muffins (pretty please).

nickegg
    Free Member

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah, yes. Cleared some of the way back between the feature and the path. Met some chaps from cheddar and we agreed between us we'd chase it back up the hill to see where it went…

Didn't go back for a while and when we did there was said feature there.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Not trying to be a miser

You might want to edit that off, reduce traffic flow as badgers is SSSI don't forget!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That's a fair point Climb lord

nickegg
    Free Member

Candodavid
    Free Member

And yourself scienceman, little bit of editing may save a trail

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm not sure who actually constructed it, and I've not seen the Cheddar fellas since – But its pretty substantial, although in the wet its bloody lethal – the timber just goes slimy.

How does it read now Cando?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Colin, edit 3 posts back

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nothing to see here, move along people, just a regular forum ride.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. 😐

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

By the way PP, can we ask your missus very nicely to make some more of those courgette muffins (pretty please).

He he!

I'll put in a request. Will other types of muffin do, 'cos we're not growing courgettes this year….? 😀

I think we can make it…

Philby

In the diary!

Missed it last year due to injury 😥

Is the meet point in the car park above Bad Ass Bikes?

elliptic
    Free Member

Will other types of muffin do

I think we're open to negotiation on that issue. 🙂

@ Philby – most people park at the old garden centre carpark 50 yards down from the bike shop.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Afternoon all. I may well be around for this as well. Subject to me buying the missus something expensive to keep her sweet!

Edric64
    Free Member

30km ,6 hours thats a walk not a bike ride!

nickegg
    Free Member

Does 64 refer to your age or year of birth?

If it's your age then that explains alot!

Edric64
    Free Member

Year of birth , how would it explain a lot if the other. 30km in 6 hours round there is walking speed at any age.!!

judderman
    Free Member

its his age! 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Hi Nige 😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

Ace i should be able to make this one

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's a social ride with about 30 people: we ride a section and chat, exchange jibes and sweets while re-grouping, and someone goes off ahead to indicate the next junction. We take two 30 min stops. So the average speed is about 3-4 mph!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘PSA: STW Mendip Ride 2010 – Sunday 15th August’ is closed to new replies.