Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Pure racing i850 post
  • jonk

Has anyone bought one of these? Im limmited to the cheaper one for my orange 5 due to its 27.2 size. The description says it has hard suspension action but does it bob as you ride?
    Thanks for any input.

neilforrow

I have got one… good thing is it has the hex post so wont develop any slop, the 'suspension action' is not noticeable on a full suss and the rear shock gets to work before the post engages… would be different on a hardtail i guess.

I have only had limited use with mine… but one thing… regular strip downs / services coupled with a diy mud guard / boot will help no end with the performance…

not a bad product for the money.

igm

Neil, I've got one but haven't had the guts to take it apart yet; mainly because I have visions of it firing itself across the room. Two simple questions: is it easy to get in to and is it easy to put it back together?

Iain

spev

I've got one on my hardtail and its working fine. I will say I had some issues with it but after stripping it (email superstar for instructions) cleaning it and then fitting a gaiter to stop the crap getting in its been excellent. ITs quite heavy at over 800gms but it works with some care and attention.

neilforrow

igm. yer… fairly simple… unscrew the wiper cap, undo the nut at the bottom and it pulls apart. It is easier to do with the post half compressed. The rod that connects the outer casing (the seat post) to the gas charged rod inside is splined, therefore when putting it back together, these have to be aligned… I took me a while to work that one out…

The push rod is a sealed unit and cant be serviced. but the internals can be cleaned. so long as you align the post and that rod at the end… it is not too bad… make sure you dont damage the hex shaped wiper seal when putting it back together.

Neil.

argyle
    Free Member

neilforrow aka fruit aka neil at pooperstar?

nothing like bigging up your own kit huh?

Ewan
    Free Member

Not the same person…. that's what I thought all along.

neilforrow

argyle – nope not me. I live in exeter and work as a geologist – you might want to check members profile's next time. oh and I got the seat post off the classifieds a few months back during the STW group buy from pricepoint.

-edit- ewan google 'fail' or 'facepalm' 😆

Ewan
    Free Member

eh? 😉

neilforrow

ere' cheeky bugger' 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

I miss fruit his particular brand of customer relations was something to behold and a joy to read (did not encourage me to buy his stuff mind but it entertained me no end)

argyle
    Free Member

just seems odd- no more fruit or neil but a neil who bigs up pooperstar a lot.

My mistake i guess, you're not ginger and rude to customers are you? 😉

neilforrow

not ginger and if i was rude to clients I would get the sack. just to add I have never bigged up 'pooper star' nor used their services / products, not even the brake pads! …

I feel like a moth to the flame with this thread. 😐

jonk

Would it be better to pay the extra for a gravity dropper post? Not liking the weight or the sealed nature of the pure racing one.

tangobravo
    Free Member

if you want a better one then get the more expensive one, you cant really compair a £60 budget version with a £250 GD.

Superstar emailed me the instructions and its easy to service.

And i love the way now anyone called neil is immediately hounded as fruit. lol typical forum lack of accuracy and evidence. Hand + Palm = fail

jonb
    Free Member

Neil's last name isn't Forrow. He's stopped posting on here as far as I know unless he's being very quiet and using an alias.

hora
    Free Member

Holy thread ressurection Batman!

Also interested in one of these (also for a Orange 5). Worth the punt?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

tangobravo – Member
    if you want a better one then get the more expensive one, you cant really compair a £60 budget version with a £250 GD.

Superstar emailed me the instructions and its easy to service.

And i love the way now anyone called neil is immediately hounded as fruit. lol typical forum lack of accuracy and evidence. Hand + Palm = fail

LOL

mangoridebike

any one know long the seatpost is above the min insertion line?

I use a 400mm Thomson at pretty much max extension so it would be a bit short anyway, but I think that Thomsons have a smaller than avg min insertion line as well, which would exacerbate this.

Stoner
    Free Member

He's stopped posting on here as far as I know unless he's being very quiet and using an alias.

[/b]

Ill warm up the octopus, you get the lube 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Avoid if you're less than 12st – even with the "sit right on the nose knack", it's simply too heavily sprung for the lighter rider.

hora
    Free Member

Garylake phew- Im a bouncing bomb compared to you 🙂

Fancy selling yours to me?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah why not, one ride old, bit mucky with Afan spray (it's done a moist lap of W2), names your price?

hora
    Free Member

YGM

neilforrow

anyone want some brake pads? 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Back on topic – I got one. Nothing to do with Superstar btw. I got it from Leisure Lakes for £54 posted. For that I thought it was worth a punt and so far it's fine. I've cable tied a section of inner tube to act as a gaiter.

It's easy to take apart. It doesnt shoot open or anything. The air unit / damper is sealed.

There's no suspension at all when it's at full height. When you drop it – it doesnt go down all the way – mine drops around 85mm. The rest of the travel is left as a form of suspension – although it's a by product of the design. I dont think I've done any seated pedalling when its been dropped so I dont know if it would 'bop'. Mine has a small amount of side to side play but I never notice it when onboard.

From the min insertion mark to the seat rails is 27cm. Mine weighs 660g.

hora
    Free Member

I've cable tied a section of inner tube to act as a gaiter.

I was also thinking that 🙂

neilforrow

i have put a gaiter on it too.. bit of old innertube and a cable tie. works well.

mangoridebike

cheers couldashouldawoulda

I'll get measuring

hora
    Free Member

First ride yesterday. Agree when at full extension it is rigid. What *annoyed me was you hit the saddle squarely with your ass whilst fiddling with (what seems) to be your private parts as you approach other riders at the start of a descent. The girls/guys on one section must have thought I was getting excited to seem them! I worked out if you bounce further fwd on your saddle (further fwd than you usually sit) it drops first time. All in all- its a revelation though. A great (cheap) way to find out if you would like the concept before potentially spending more to drop the weight etc.. 🙂

*Minor annoyance compared to the benefits.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Glad someone got some use out it and glad you're happy with it Hora! I think I need to eat some more pies before I think about getting another!

snowslave

I got one a few months back. When I manage to blap the thing down it's good. This is fine if you're on a nice flat non technical surface and you know in advance you want to drop your seat post at that point in time. And it's great just pulling the lever and the post going back again.

But I don't always get it to go down first hit, or second, or third, or forth, resulting in the comedic effect hora describes.

If you want the general idea of this, next time you're approaching a fun downhill on a night ride, going through a few ruts or loose babyhead stuff, simply place one hand under the nose of your saddle as if you're pulling a lever, and bounce up and down v hard on your saddle. Until you lose your bottle, stop, and adjust the **** post manually.

There's probably a knack to this, but a handlebar mounted release lever feels like a worthwhile investment at the mo. I shall persevere….

MrNutt
    Free Member

Mr NeilForrow, may I ask, do you come across an abundance of "tools" in your line of work? 😀

hora
    Free Member

snowslave aye- for the price tho Im more than happy to look like Im holding onto the strap of a rampant rodeo bull before each descent.. 😆 🙄 😆

neilforrow

MrNutt – not sure what you mean? what do you need..!?!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Pure racing i850 post’ is closed to new replies.