Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • QR15 as an upgrade – worth it?
  • neilforrow

Toying with the idea about getting a new set of lowers for the talas fork i run on my xc bike.

I do notice the difference between the 20mm fork on my on-one & the qr on the talas… but £250's worth (new wheel and lowers)?? seems a lot…

Typing it out… makes me think not… but there is the want' factor that i cant shift…

anyone else upgraded… worth it in the end?

qwerty
    Free Member

buy these and then sell your old fork 😉

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

The difference between qr and qr15 isnt as big as qr and 20mm. 20mm is stiffer than qr15.

poppa
    Free Member

In other news, bears sh1t in woods 😆

neilforrow

wasnt asking if it makes a difference… I was asking if was worth the money as an upgrade …

poppa, thaks for you useful contribution to this discussion… really… thanks. You can go back to work feeling good about your witty 'banter'

amplebrew

I've just gone from 15mm axle on my Rocky Vertex to a standard axle on my new bike and don't think that there is that much difference to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, the 15mm axle was stiffer; but I wouldn't spend out unless you needed new forks.

I went back to a std axle only because I had a problem with my front wheel whilst on a trip away and couldn't borrow a wheel off anyone 'cause of the axle size difference. No shops in the area had any 15mm wheels in stock either 🙁

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I was just pointing out that fact as you are comparing to 20mm and are looking to get 15mm. Its worth it if you ride hard or are a big rider, not worth it if you tend to back off and take it easy.

Andituk
    Free Member

Personal opinion isn't it really. In my opinion, if your changing the fork, I'd always go for the QR15, but I don't think the cost of upgrading your current fork is worth it, no.

£250 is a lot of cash you could spend elsewhere.

amplebrew

For reference I went from a 15mm Fox RL to a std DT XRC100 fork.

neilforrow

stuartanicholson – sorry that wasnt directed at yu… ad yer you have apoint… I like to get involved on the downhill bits, and the 20mm on my other bike feels great…

andituk – thats what I am thinking…. maybe sit back for a while till i need a new fork… trouble is that is going to be a long time.

amplebrew – you dont want to swap the lowers on your rl for my talas lovers (that ar mint) and a bit of cash do you? (worth a try)

amplebrew

amplebrew – you dont want to swap the lowers on your rl for my talas lovers (that ar mint) and a bit of cash do you? (worth a try)

Sorry they went with the bike when I sold it 🙁

thumbie
    Free Member

I've got a spare set of Talas QR15 lowers…mail me if you wish.

kimbers

what hubs?
    if hope or dt or a few others some bonty some halo hubs

will take 9mm thru axel adapters and get a 9mm thru axel like dtswiss or a 9mm qr, i did, was noticeably stiffer when getting leary on the bike, not so for general riding

neilforrow

kimbers – hope xc on the front, going to to the 10mm qr thing with the proII i have on the rear…

can you do that with an XC hub… looks like the one in your photo…

poppa
    Free Member

I was only jesting based on the content of stuarts post… cripes.

In any event, yes, I do feel good 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I've got that 9mm qr from superstar, noticeably different .

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just don't see the point of 15mm, so I guess I'd better not answer…

neilforrow

poppa – fair shout.. didnt mean to bite your head off…

neilforrow

thumbie – Member

thumbie – YGM

kimbers

mines a proII, i dont think they do it for xc, but speak to hope very nicely

neilforrow

kimbers – Member

mines a proII, i dont think they do it for xc, but speak to hope very nicely

just spoke to hope… the xc is qr only…

timraven

I swapped lowers and front wheel on my Floats, massive difference. Well worth the money IMHO

dasnut
    Free Member

I'd swap your fox for pikes (or revs), that way you get 20mm all round and wheel compatability across all your bikes.

This 15QR nonsense is just a made up standard that fox and shimano came up with because rockshox already have the best tool for the job (maxle)

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I'd swap your fox for pikes (or revs), that way you get 20mm all round and wheel compatability across all your bikes.

This 15QR nonsense is just a made up standard that fox and shimano came up with because rockshox already have the best tool for the job (maxle)
    Word! 😀

neilforrow

I would, however I just cant get on with the motion control thing… I hate the feel of RS forks… dont get me wrong… I am not slating them… just cant get on with them… had a set of rev's a a set of pikes back in the day… the revs were poor, the pikes were a lot better, just did unexpected things, and leaked out the M-control repeatedly. each to their own…

do get the compatability argument tho. something to think about.

WackoAK
    Free Member

rockshox are now making forks with a 15mm maxle…

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

rockshox are now making forks with a 15mm maxle…

True, but they have pretty much been forced into it by shimano and mavic. I guess you dont reep the benefits of a 20mm on a 100mm xc fork, but any bolt through (even 9mm) is better than qr.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I just wish Fox made a 32mm fork with 20mm Maxle…

forgotmename
    Free Member

Your a big bloke, so whatever bolt through you go for will be a benefit, i know what you mean about the rs ride, but once you get the set up sorted they work well,(normally run very well once they have been back to warranty dept, i have found) and 20mm is much better\stiffer\compatable, i just got 120mm reba with 20mm for my little bike for the stiffer\compatable reasons, and also so im not helping the new 15mm spend more money standard. So sell the fox! just sticking my oar in. Hope you are well.

clubber
    Free Member

I do notice the difference between the 20mm fork on my on-one & the qr on the talas… but £250's worth (new wheel and lowers)?? seems a lot…

It is a lot. Does the 20mm axle really (not just a convincing yourself because you forked(!) out a load of cash) make you ride better/enjoy the ride more? Really? Be honest 🙂

I'd suggest that if you think so then go for it but if you're more firmly grounded then just wait until you eventually replace the QR fork if you really want it.

neilforrow

forgotmename – gary yer fine thanks… OT: but I have become a dad (even more reason not to spend £250 on a bolt!) hear what you are saying… so might well look at getting a different set up.

Clubber – yer would make the bike feel better… quicker, probably not.

clubber
    Free Member

I guess you've got the problem of having one with and one without but does the QR one really feel 'bad'? Particularly after about 10 mins riding it when you've got used to the difference?

neilforrow

clubber…

bit of a long story but: I got a 456 as a winter bike.. came with revs, hated them, chopped them in for a set of manipoo minute TPC elite's.. a superb fork, esp for the money.

the talas on my hustler makes it feel under forked somehow… not a lack of travel or the way it gets me over the rough, just how it feels and inturn confidence. was a great for untill i got the mani's.. (want to keep the travel adjust and the mani version is shocking (get it))

I feel I can chuck the 456 around now.. just as much as the hustler.. and the full susser is meant to be for 'flat out' so I want the fork on that bike to follow suit… my bikes are a bit ass-about-face at the mo.

comprende??

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Could you swap the forks over or is that a daft idea?

forgotmename
    Free Member

Congratulations on baby.

neilforrow

thumbie – Member

Ok got the lowers off Thumbie (cheers bud)…

Just got to swap them out and get a new front wheel…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘QR15 as an upgrade – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.