Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Raceface cranks – wobble issue!
  • SusieG
    Free Member

My Race Face XC Evolve Triple X Type cranks have developed a slightly unnerving side-to-side wobble (moves about 1-2mm from drive to non-drive side). I initially thought the cranks had come loose, but having tightened several times the problem remains. A friend suggested that it may be due to missing/broken and lost spacer. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I've found that I can buy 1mm replacement spacers from Raceface…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Eventually ,overtime some end up doing that,the splines on the arm wear.I think its because they are cast/forged instead of machined like deus & diabolus.I have seen quite a few.New cranks time.

el_creedo
    Free Member

Yup – I had the splines go on a set, really annoying – and expensive.
    Get XT ones when you replace them, they aren't as good looking but are light and reliable and cost about the same – unless you can blag a free replacement on warranty?
    First up though – take them off the bike, you'll see straight away if the splines are damaged. There is still a possibility it's something else!

lunge

I had the same with mine and after taking everything apart i realised it was my pedals. Might be worth a look!

tandemwarriors

Had exactly the same,here
    managed to get a bit more life out of them with some Heath Robinson engineering but it is terminal. Now running SLX which feel rock solid and the interface just looks more robust.

Frankers
    Free Member

The race face system is designed to bottom out on the splines, if you have side to side play it would seem that you may be missing a spacer.

I would try installing a 1mm spacer and then re-tightening as your first option.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I've not heard of the splines going on RF cranks, but ofc it's possible I guess

As Frankers says, the system is designed to bottom out (makes them a royal bar-steward to install the first time) I tend to agree with your mate, probably a spacer has broken. Certainly worth a try before junking the cranks, although before doing anything else, take them off and inspect the splines for damage. Should be pretty obvious if there is any and if there is I'd try returning them for warranty replacement.

My RF Atlas crank/BB non drive side Axle joint came loose (the non servicable press-fit) and RF replaced the whole crank on warranty.

clubber
    Free Member

Once it's come loose once then it'll keep happening. You can't see from looking at the splines that they've been damaged.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It happened to me with my Evolve X-Types.

First they started to loosen, then the wobble got progressively worse until there was about 5-6mm of play no matter how tight the crankbolt.

On an 18 month old crank retailing for £150 this is completely unacceptable.

Hence, no more Race Face on my bikes.

ziggy
    Free Member

Could be as simple as the BB is knackered.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

id have a look at the bb. the race face ones dont do well in the uk at all. it could all stem from there.

sam-r
    Free Member

SusieG, is it the left/non-drive side moving relative t'other or vice-versa? Or is it both moving in unison? Can't quite picture from your post.

The RF design is such that the LH non-drive is permanently fixed to the axle. Most go on the RH drive side which is fitted via a spline to the axle

So it could be:
    knackered spline (loctite can cure bodge this very effectively)
    the non-drive side crank breaking away from its fixing to the axle
    the bb – broken top hat/s?
    the bb fubar'd bearings

RF BBs are a really poor design too with its nano bearings.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

It is the splines, 3 sets gone in our garage mine and two sons, bag of crap, we also have gone to shimano, bar an Atlas set which has harder axle and lifetime warranty, evolve is 1 year.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My RF bottom bracket died after six months, from then on it was XT. When the wobbly cranks started, the first thing I did was replace the BB.

I tried shims, spacers and all sorts but it came down to knackered splines and a patronising email from RF customer support.

Fail.

giantjason
    Free Member

just realised from this post that my RF evolve has just had the same issue. I have changed over my pedals and put a new CK BB in but the wobble is still there. No expense wasted as they too were knackered and needed replacing. Have now put on a spare set of RF cranks which appear to have sorted it out – my only worry is how long will they last!!!

Does anyone know of any decent chainsets that arent made of cheese?

tandemwarriors

Does anyone know of any decent chainsets that arent made of cheese?

Yep, SLX. Not quite as bling as my Evolves, but I do trust them much more and they feel more solid. Shop around and you can find them for sale without the BB, I got mine at Ribble Cycles.

Rob

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've opted for a set of Stylo 2.2s. They aren't half bad, some very good deals at Merlin cycles.

Project Enduro will be getting a silver set of these or SLXs.

j-claw
    Free Member

This 'wobble' can happen on 05-07 Evolve X-Type cranks. If they're less than 1 year old & you're the original owner then get them warrantied.
    Basically, the interface between the R/H crank & the spindle can wear & develop play over time. Unfortunately there is no fix for this.

All newer (2008+) Race Face XC cranks use an improved 'EXI' interface which is much more resistant to wear & easier to install. Atlas cranks use a much harder alloy, so the splines are also more durable.

Current Evolve cranks have a 3 year warranty, Deus & Atlas have a lifetime warranty.

All Race Face cranks require that you install all the supplied spacers. You can swap them around to adjust chainline, but all of them must be in place. Read the instructions.

The grease in early Race Face X-Type BBs was not very resistant to UK grime. Everything from 2008 onwards uses waterproof grease & the new Team BB is easily on par with Shimano.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Anyone tried using the loopy green loctite used for bushings and bearings on the splines? (sorry, can't remember the number) I've known it to fix some FSA cranks that this has happened on. If they're not too far gone then it might save them for a while. The splines need to be really well degreased for it to hold though. There's also one for sleeves and bushings thats supposed to stop fretting, which is how these fail.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Raceface cranks – wobble issue!’ is closed to new replies.