Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Ramsbottom wind turbine ride – Saturday April 2nd
  • Harry_the_Spider

Right then. Some harmony and good will has broken out on the wind turbine thread, and we can’t have any of that!

So. It looks like there is going to be a ride out of Ramsbottom next Saturday morning taking in The Rake, Peel Tower and a load of wind turbines then ending up in the pub for lunch.

Details to follow… as this is being made up as we go along.

binners

Harmony? On a thread. We need to put a stop to that

MY suggestion is that we start from here

http://www.pubutopia.com/pubs/B/Bury/Ramsbottom/The%20Rose%20&%20Crown/

The Rose and Crown. Its at the very start of the Rake. Are we saying 9.30 start Harry?

I’m going to have a word with the landlord this afternoon to see if he doesn’t mind catering for a load of muddy people when we all finish

Great boozer that does really good food, with space to park the bikes up round the back by the bowling green

Watch this space

Harry_the_Spider

Sounds good.

philfive
    Free Member

You riding up too cragg quarry from there?

Harry_the_Spider

Dunno.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what distance you planning on doing as i have to do Snowdon the day after so can really only cope with a short pootle. Not sure I have ever done rake but done peel as part of the three towers loop

Harry_the_Spider

20 miles ish.

The original vague plan was the following route.

Rammy
    Rake
    Tower
    Helmshore
    Edenfield
    Some turbines
    Rooley Moor
    Birtle
    Nangreaves
    Rammy

Based on the “hard” ride in this month’s mag but taking in Peel Tower, missing out the top bit in Rawtenstall and doing the turbines instead.

Me, DerekStarship and a couple of others were just going to take some maps and go for 3-4 hours.

The Rake is only 970m (long, not high) and The Rose and Crown is about a quater of the way up.

…but the spin up to Peel Tower afterwards feels like going down hill. 😀

Tower from top of The Rake

binners

I think Backhander should come along, just so we can get a picture of him hugging a wind turbine 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Grrr

Picture by Terrahawk.

ashfanman
    Free Member

That photo should be on Big Ring Riding.

plumber
    Free Member

I had a bit of an accident with my knee last night. if it heals sufficiently I’m in

Cheers

Plum

MrSparkle

Will see if the Darwen Contingent are free to attend.

stumpyjon

Well having ridden up to the Coal Clough turbines today on my road bike I seriously hope the wind drops for next week for you. Typically I decided to ride Long Causeway into the wind. not the first time I’ve had the thought ‘so that’s why there’s wind turbines up here’ running through my mind. Eventually I turned around and didn’t have to pedal all the way to Burnley.

Harry_the_Spider

MrSparkle – Member
    Will see if the Darwen Contingent are free to attend.

Jolly good. It’s Alan’s Pendle thing too BTW, but 50 odd miles on a road bike is beyond me at the moment.

Smarty
    Free Member

Ooh some rides around my area (ish).
    Might be interested in this, assuming it’s open to fat fit lads that can’t can climb all day. 😆

Harry_the_Spider

It’s open to whoever turns up. 😀

This isn’t an organised event. Just a load of people going on a bike ride at the same time.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’d be up for this one if there’s anyone going from Rochdale with space for me and bike?
    Fuel costs paid for obviously 😀

Smarty
    Free Member

Tick the ‘provisional’ box for me please

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fat me is doing this ride so it’s definitely okay for all ability wise!

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t do yourself down kiddo. You climb like a fat nurse with chocolate in the loft.

philfive
    Free Member

how much road is there to do?

Harry_the_Spider

Dunno… Some… We’re making it up as we go along.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you should be able to keep the road down to a minimum if you have a local who knows their way around

my tuppeneth (cheeky content)
    unless you are going over pilgrims cross the tower is a bit pointless and will hurt that early in the ride

presume you are taking the trail down into Irwell Vale and up to Edenfield

I would get up to the turbines via concrete road/ sandbeds lane to minimise road time

If conditions are dry there is some singletrack from the turbines that pushes you out near OWD Betts that’s an option (but is a shorter route)

The IFB had some alternative lines off Rooley Moor, google is your friend, or they already are

I would do a loop of Cragg whilst you are up there, shame to ride past, there is a very muddy track from Cragg to top turbine

other options available, have a good ride 🙂

MrSparkle

iamout. Rivi Pike fell race on the same day. Tch. :0(

terrahawk
    Free Member

The IFB had some alternative lines off Rooley Moor, google is your friend, or they already are

let me know if you want me to dig some routes out. If I can find them. I can show you a route on the day but I’ll be out with Alan…!

RustySpanner

Mr Starship, I think thou doth protest too much sunshine.
    Am happy to lead a slower group if required.
    Muddydwarf, send me your details, happy to give you a lift.

Harry_the_Spider

Binners is our guide in the land of wind mills turbines. Like don Quixote, but on an Intense full susser.

Jase, I’ve got the route book thingy for Alan’s ride if you want it.

RustySpanner

Me & Mrs Spanner should be out in the general area tomorrow afternoon.

It will be after The Archers. There will be Jelly Babies.

It will be slower than you can possibly imagine.
    Think of the slowest thing you’ve ever seen. It will be much, much slower than that.

If you fancy it let me know.

MrSparkle

iamout. Rivi Pike fell race on the same day. Tch. :0(

Might be back on for this due to the fact that Rivi Pike is not when I thought it was. Doh.

binners

Binners is our guide

EEK!!! I hope you’re all familiar with the concept of getting lost. I am 😀

Its all fairly new to me too, so there will be elements of making it up as we go along. Harry – I’m going to go for a reccie over at the quarry on Thursday night to check it out. Find us the best route through there and check out the best route down

Do we have any idea of numbers guys? I’ve given the Landlord of the Rose and Crown the heads up. If there’s going to be quite a few of us then they’re happy to put food on for us. We can put the bikes round the back of the pub where they’re secure and out of sight

Let me know who’s in. Tally ho!

Harry_the_Spider

I’m in. Release papers signed for Saturday. Trying to get my two brothers in law out too.

sefton
    Free Member

heres a link to pics from the turbines http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album.php?album_id=1137

justme
    Free Member

Binners ygm

Harry_the_Spider

Free parking at The Rose and Crown if we all go in afterwards and buy lunch and a pint. Probably best to bring some clean clothes so we don’t leave smears of unpleasantness on his crushed velour stools.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m getting all giddy about this now. I’m going to write a list of essentials….

See y’all there.

plumber
    Free Member

Knee is good

I’m in

derek_starship
    Free Member

LONDON POOTLE vs Ramsbottom wind turbine ride – Saturday April 2nd

*scoffs*

Keeping it groovy ooop north.

Harry_the_Spider

The cock-er-neys are doing 70 odd miles! I’ll be ****ed after 20.

*barfs*

Keeping it gravy ooop north.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’m not sure if he’s not asked you all for a reason 😯 *may regret this* but if anyone fancies staying out / staying over if you’re coming any distance then you’re more than welcome, our gaff is 100 yards away from the R&C.

Or if anyone’s going on anywhere after you’re also more than welcome to use the house to shower and change as long as you don’t use my Clinique stuff…… 👿

binners

Dear God woman! What have you done!!!

*buries head in hands and starts weeping*

Keeping it groany ooop north.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Ramsbottom wind turbine ride – Saturday April 2nd’ is closed to new replies.